• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Prodigal Son's Brother

Intojoy

"But now" the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from the law, although the Law and the Prophets bear witness to it— the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction: (‭Romans‬ ‭3‬:‭21-22‬ ESV)

Until one knows what it is to be mute one doesn't know the greatness of being able to share, to speak, to sing and to express one's self verbally.

Until we know what it is to be blind we don't know how marvelous it is to see.

Until we know what it is to be deaf we can not know how wonderful music is.

And it isn't until we know how lost we are that we cannot know how great the grace of God really is.

But when you do like Paul you will say;

"But now I have the very righteousness of God - praise Him."

You will say

"but now I stand declared innocent before The Lord and I need not fear any judgment of any kind all because of Him and we say hallelujah."

You will say

"but now I am propitiated that is to say God's anger towards me has been satisfied and I am no longer liable, I can walk out a free human being. And now for the first time I can honor, God I can love God and can follow Him where He would send me to go."

It isn't about our understanding of all of the these truths its about hearing what the word says and saying I want what the word of God says, teach me Lord.

We may not understand how it is that The Lord has saved us or be able to explain how it is that He is The Unique Son of God, how it is that He has made all of the difference in the world but it doesn't matter because we can say I am free and I am forgiven and I know that I have life eternal because I am no longer guilty and I no longer stand unrighteous before God.

Thanda

"But now" the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from the law, although the Law and the Prophets bear witness to it— the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction: (‭Romans‬ ‭3‬:‭21-22‬ ESV)

Until one knows what it is to be mute one doesn't know the greatness of being able to share, to speak, to sing and to express one's self verbally.

Until we know what it is to be blind we don't know how marvelous it is to see.

Until we know what it is to be deaf we can not know how wonderful music is.

And it isn't until we know how lost we are that we cannot know how great the grace of God really is.

But when you do like Paul you will say;

"But now I have the very righteousness of God - praise Him."

You will say

"but now I stand declared innocent before The Lord and I need not fear any judgment of any kind all because of Him and we say hallelujah."

You will say

"but now I am propitiated that is to say God's anger towards me has been satisfied and I am no longer liable, I can walk out a free human being. And now for the first time I can honor, God I can love God and can follow Him where He would send me to go."

It isn't about our understanding of all of the these truths its about hearing what the word says and saying I want what the word of God says, teach me Lord.

We may not understand how it is that The Lord has saved us or be able to explain how it is that He is The Unique Son of God, how it is that He has made all of the difference in the world but it doesn't matter because we can say I am free and I am forgiven and I know that I have life eternal because I am no longer guilty and I no longer stand unrighteous before God.

Thanks for the explanation but I still don't understand what you mean by the term righteousness. Jesus was righteous no? What did he do that made him righteous, in your opinion?

Intojoy

Thanks for the explanation but

1. I still don't understand what you mean by the term righteousness.

2. Jesus was righteous no?

3. What did he do that made him righteous, in your opinion?

1. righteous - right standing before God.
1.5. We have been declared just and right before God because of the cross of Messiah. But we are not just and we are not right. Justification is a declarative act and a declarative statement wherein our unrighteousness has been removed because of the payment for it, the substitutionary death, burial and resurrection of the Son of God, Yeshua the Messiah.

2. Jesus could not have sinned because He is God the Son.

3. Nothing. He is light and there is no darkness at all neither shadow of turning and He does not need to do anything nor does He need anything He is complete in Himself and totally independent.

Thanda

1. righteous - right standing before God.
1.5. We have been declared just and right before God because of the cross of Messiah. But we are not just and we are not right. Justification is a declarative act and a declarative statement wherein our unrighteousness has been removed because of the payment for it, the substitutionary death, burial and resurrection of the Son of God, Yeshua the Messiah.

2. Jesus could not have sinned because He is God the Son.

3. Nothing. He is light and there is no darkness at all neither shadow of turning and He does not need to do anything nor does He need anything He is complete in Himself and totally independent.

Then the term righteous is meaningless. If Jesus couldn't have sinned (even if he wanted to) then his sinlessness is nothing special and he is in no way an example for us (as the bible states he is). Then his injunction for us to follow him was a hollow one. He should just have told us to believe in him and not bother with the whole array of commandments he came with in the sermon the mount and other places.

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
I'm confused. What were you trying to communicate to us?
The Father's will is never subverted. God is not subverted in the case of the crucifixion, nor in the cases of James, Simon Peter, Judas, Thomas, or the Prodigal Son's brother.

Intojoy

Then the term righteous is meaningless. If Jesus couldn't have sinned (even if he wanted to) then his sinlessness is nothing special and he is in no way an example for us (as the bible states he is). Then his injunction for us to follow him was a hollow one. He should just have told us to believe in him and not bother with the whole array of commandments he came with in the sermon the mount and other places.
Thandu,

Child please!

The sermon on the mount is not the rule of life for believers today!

Jesus is not our example

He is our savior and God.

If Jesus is God then you say God is your example. So how's that measuring out for you in terms of your degree of godliness?

Because the definition of God's righteousness is

Flawless perfection continually.

Your righteousness is a filthy rag like mine is. And unless you have been the recipient of God's righteousness you will not enter the kingdom of God.

Of course we should keep Messiah's commands. We do this Paul says by dedicating our bodies to God. But none of our works meet the level of righteousness demanded by God and thank God that they don't have to.

We perform works of love because it is our reasonable expectation because of everything Paul taught in the book of Romans up to chapter 11. We do receive rewards for doing God's work with the gifts of the Spirit but they are not personally righteous action that we are entitled to brag about (like the older bro did).

What was it that gave the prodigal son a right relationship with the father?

None other than the merciful grace of the father plus nothing. It was the nature of his father to accept him with no strings attached. The elder brother thought that because he kept his estate in order with what his father desired that somehow he deserved a feast to honor his sacrificial device to his father.

Of the six things God hates, pride is at the top of the list. The parable of the prodigal son teaches the eternal nature of the father son relationship based in grace, compassion and love. And the picture is of the saving and rejoicing over those that were lost now found.

It's clear that there is more rejoicing over one lost sheep who has been found over the ninety nine that are within the gates.

God takes pleasure in the works of the saints but not in the righteousness of the saints because they have none. Only the imputed righteousness of Messiah in them of which there is no boasting.