• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Prodigal Son's Brother

Thanda

I was reading something on the net and I came across something I found a bit odd. The prodigal son's (Luke 15) older brother was interpreted by a particular author to be "representing the Pharisees, was self-righteous and claimed to have always obeyed but wouldn’t “come in” to the party".

I then did a search on the net and found these three articles

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2012/february/prodigal-son.html

http://www.christianpost.com/news/prodigal-son-story-its-not-about-the-prodigal-116523/

http://www.oneplace.com/ministries/grace-to-you/read/articles/an-unforgettable-tale-11031.html

I was surprised to find that they all had a similar tone: despite the evil the prodigal son did, they all agreed that the real bad guy of the story was the older son.

I find this most odd. Of course I understand that we all have a soft spot for the prodigal son - so do I - but does that really justify us in vilifying the (understandably) upset older brother? Why is it that we are so quick to forgive and be understanding of the younger brother (whose sins were far worse than not attending a party) but are so harsh on the older brother?

Here's my take on the matter. The elder brother was not upset because his brother had returned (at least one cannot conclude that from the passage) neither was he upset that he had been welcomed back. What he was upset about was that someone who had made less of an effort than him was being reward more than he was.
This was, of course, an error in his thinking. The father made it clear that he was not rewarding the younger son for his rebellion - has was rejoicing for his return. After the feast was over though, the younger son would still be without an inheritance (having spent it all - it may be that he could work to earn another inheritance in the process of time). Meanwhile the older son's inheritance was still intact ("all that I have is thine"). Surely if the older son was as guilty of sin (rather than just being guilty of misunderstanding) as some believe he is the father would have disinherited him. But instead of being disinherited he was kindly reassured.

From this I learn that while God is merciful, he is also just. As we live his commandments we gain a godly nature. As we break his commandments we lose whatever godly nature we had. When we repent and turn from our sins and begin again to keep his commandments, though God is very happy, we don't suddenly gain all the godly attributes we lost through sin. We have to work in faith to receive that godly nature again - and it takes time.

Intojoy

The relationship between God and human beings will always be by grace and mercy. When we think that God will treat us kindly because we somehow are living now pleasing Him then we have reverted back into the mind of this world and do not have the mind of Christ.

Intojoy

The "God proclaimed" most righteous man on the face of the earth when he came into the presence of God said this:

“Then Job answered Jehovah, and said, Behold, I am of small account; What shall I answer thee? I lay my hand upon my mouth. Once have I spoken, and I will not answer; Yea, twice, but I will proceed no further.”
‭‭Job‬ ‭40:3-5‬ ‭ASV‬‬
http://bible.com/12/job.40.3-5.asv

And this:

“Who is this that hideth counsel without knowledge? Therefore have I uttered that which I understood not, Things too wonderful for me, which I knew not. Hear, I beseech thee, and I will speak; I will demand of thee, and declare thou unto me. I had heard of thee by the hearing of the ear; But now mine eye seeth thee: Wherefore I abhor myself, And repent in dust and ashes.”
‭‭Job‬ ‭42:3-6‬ ‭ASV‬‬
http://bible.com/12/job.42.3-6.asv

This is what the elder brother missed because he compared himself with his sinful brother. Only when we see the righteousness of God and compare ourselves to Him will we evaluate ourselves with a sober evaluation.

Thanda

The "God proclaimed" most righteous man on the face of the earth when he came into the presence of God said this:

“Then Job answered Jehovah, and said, Behold, I am of small account; What shall I answer thee? I lay my hand upon my mouth. Once have I spoken, and I will not answer; Yea, twice, but I will proceed no further.”
‭‭Job‬ ‭40:3-5‬ ‭ASV‬‬
http://bible.com/12/job.40.3-5.asv

And this:

“Who is this that hideth counsel without knowledge? Therefore have I uttered that which I understood not, Things too wonderful for me, which I knew not. Hear, I beseech thee, and I will speak; I will demand of thee, and declare thou unto me. I had heard of thee by the hearing of the ear; But now mine eye seeth thee: Wherefore I abhor myself, And repent in dust and ashes.”
‭‭Job‬ ‭42:3-6‬ ‭ASV‬‬
http://bible.com/12/job.42.3-6.asv

This is what the elder brother missed because he compared himself with his sinful brother. Only when we see the righteousness of God and compare ourselves to Him will we evaluate ourselves with a sober evaluation.

But where in the scripture does it say that the righteous brother evaluation of himself was wrong?

Intojoy

But where in the scripture does it say that the righteous brother evaluation of himself was wrong?

“as it is written, There is

none righteous,

no, not one;

There is none that understandeth,

There is none that seeketh after God;

They have all turned aside, they are together become unprofitable; There is none that doeth good,

no, not, so much as one:”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭3:10-12‬ ‭ASV‬‬
http://bible.com/12/rom.3.10-12.asv

Thanda

“as it is written, There is

none righteous,

no, not one;

There is none that understandeth,

There is none that seeketh after God;

They have all turned aside, they are together become unprofitable; There is none that doeth good,

no, not, so much as one:”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭3:10-12‬ ‭ASV‬‬
http://bible.com/12/rom.3.10-12.asv

I think you know very well this scripture does not apply. Jesus himself commanded us to do good. How could he command us to do something that was impossible. Jesus even told us the specific things we should do which he would consider "doing good".

Intojoy

I think you know very well this scripture does not apply. Jesus himself commanded us to do good. How could he command us to do something that was impossible. Jesus even told us the specific things we should do which he would consider "doing good".

No I don't know very well because it does apply. When Isaiah compared himself with his people he came out looking pretty good, but when he was brought into the presence of God he said "I am a man of an unholy life and I am coming undone." Do you think the prodigals' big bro was more righteous than Isaiah?

Thanda

No I don't know very well because it does apply. When Isaiah compared himself with his people he came out looking pretty good, but when he was brought into the presence of God he said "I am a man of an unholy life and I am coming undone." Do you think the prodigals' big bro was more righteous than Isaiah?

He might have been. All we know about him is that he kept all his father's commandments (remember the story is fictional).

Thanda

What in your theology would make you more righteous than me?

If I had more faith than you. And our faith is manifested in our works. In Matthew 13:8 we have "But other fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit, some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold."

This teaches us that even among those with faith, some have greater faith than others.

Intojoy

If I had more faith than you. And our faith is manifested in our works. In Matthew 13:8 we have "But other fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit, some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold."

This teaches us that even among those with faith, some have greater faith than others.

You may have more faith but faith is not righteousness.

Abraham believed God and was credited righteousness. It was not Abe's righteousness that was credited but it is the righteousness of Messiah that was credited to Abe. If our faith as Abe's faith credits to our account the righteousness of God Himself then how are you more righteous than I am, I like Job, Isaiah and Abraham have no righteousness in and of myself other than the imputation of Messiah's righteousness by faith.

I do believe that some believers are more obedient than others who are not obedient at all. However they are equal in their reception of the righteousness in them that is of God and not their own.

When a believer creates good soil and reproduces spiritual fruit that believer will be rewarded in the kingdom. Some believers will spend the entire 1000 yr kingdom in a state of remorse that they did not live for God in this life. But once in the eternal order after the 1000 years all will have equality.

The lesson of the elder brother shows the spirit of the Pharisees who placed their emphasis on the outward appearance of righteousness whereas the father shows the spirit of grace, mercy, and love of God. The elder brother despises his younger brother and failed to show grace, love or mercy. In other words the elder son did not have the love of the father and was spiteful against not his brother but his father.

Thanda

You may have more faith but faith is not righteousness.

Abraham believed God and was credited righteousness. It was not Abe's righteousness that was credited but it is the righteousness of Messiah that was credited to Abe. If our faith as Abe's faith credits to our account the righteousness of God Himself then how are you more righteous than I am, I like Job, Isaiah and Abraham have no righteousness in and of myself other than the imputation of Messiah's righteousness by faith.

I do believe that some believers are more obedient than others who are not obedient at all. However they are equal in their reception of the righteousness in them that is of God and not their own.

When a believer creates good soil and reproduces spiritual fruit that believer will be rewarded in the kingdom. Some believers will spend the entire 1000 yr kingdom in a state of remorse that they did not live for God in this life. But once in the eternal order after the 1000 years all will have equality.

What do you understand by the term "Righteousness"?

The lesson of the elder brother shows the spirit of the Pharisees who placed their emphasis on the outward appearance of righteousness whereas the father shows the spirit of grace, mercy, and love of God. The elder brother despises his younger brother and failed to show grace, love or mercy. In other words the elder son did not have the love of the father and was spiteful against not his brother but his father.

Again, there is nothing in the scripture that supports this view. The older brother was not there when the prodigal son returned. So we have no idea how he felt about his return. All we know is how he felt about the party. Would you be happy if your boss gave higher raises to those who performed less work?

Last edited:

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
Who are you talking to?

Everyone.

"No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of myself; authority I have to lay it down, and authority I have again to take it; this command I received from my Father."
John 10:18.

Compare this with the Prayer at Gethsemane. We receive all of our authorities from the Father. Even when we fall, and suffer, and die- as Son of Man must do- we receive the authority to do so. And we receive authority to return, as in the Prodigal Son's case. We became satan to one another, as in the case of the Prodigal Son, also so that the Kingdom of God will come. But in order that it comes, Satan must be vindicated in the Father's name, also.

Jesus says to him, 'I do not say to you til seven times, but til seventy times seven.
Matthew 18:22

Last edited:

Thanda

Everyone.

"No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of myself; authority I have to lay it down, and authority I have again to take it; this command I received from my Father."
John 10:18.

Compare this with the Prayer at Gethsemane. We receive all of our authorities from the Father. Even when we fall, and suffer, and die- as Son of Man must do, we receive the authority to do so.

I'm confused. What were you trying to communicate to us?