• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Problem With Missionaries

despi

The fact remains that with 300,000 new convert baptisms a year, and with a membership approaching 14 million, two-thirds of which are first-generation converts, there clearly are people who don't mind being approached by someone who feels they have something "better" to offer.

Speaking from the view point of a first-generation convert to the LDS Church.....maybe the LDS missionaries are simply searching for people who are searching for them. :)

DeepShadow

White Crow
Gamers are a notoriously obsessive lot, and I'm sure there are many of them who feel very strongly about their gaming system, but even so, I've never heard of any who believe their gaming system is divinely inspired and all others demonically false, or who believe that there is literally nothing more important than one can do than to go from door to door urging strangers to consider, for instance, the advantages of the Xbox over the Wii.

Crispy Gamer - Comic: Backward Compatible

wednesday

Jesus
Speaking from the view point of a first-generation convert to the LDS Church.....maybe the LDS missionaries are simply searching for people who are searching for them. :)

Good point, however, more often than not, people who just want to be left alone get cast out and isolated because they fail to accept and don't want a biblical bashing.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Good point, however, more often than not, people who just want to be left alone get cast out and isolated because they fail to accept and don't want a biblical bashing.

Have you ever been "biblically bashed," by an LDS missionary?

logician

Missionaries search for those in desparate situations, and then most make conversion(or at least listening to their spiel) a part of the "cost" of receiving help.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Missionaries search for those in desparate situations, and then most make conversion(or at least listening to their spiel) a part of the "cost" of receiving help.
And if course the best way to combat this is for more secular non religious charities, or simply for non-religious people to get out there and start helping. These evil missionaries won’t be able to take advantage of these people in desperate need of help if we have already helped them.

logician

fantôme profane;1104968 said:
And if course the best way to combat this is for more secular non religious charities, or simply for non-religious people to get out there and start helping. These evil missionaries won’t be able to take advantage of these people in desperate need of help if we have already helped them.

Actually, quite true, instead of bombing Muslims in the ME creating more terrorists, we should have state sponsored missions to provide food, healthcare, etc. to the poor and starving of the world , thus reducing the number of terrorists.

DeepShadow

White Crow

That's shameful! I'm so glad that LDS missionaries don't use such underhanded tactics!

Starfish

Please no sarcasm

Actually LDS missionaries don't search for those in desparate situations; however, it's often the desparate who are the most receptive to the Gospel. The Lord utilizes adversity to humble us, which makes us more teachable.
The LDS Church is known for its help to the poor. Some do approach the Church for help and maybe some join for that reason. We often see some coming to church simply because of the assistance they're receiving.
I believe the Lord will take us in any way we are willing to come to him--with the hope that our motives will evolve into something beyond physical needs.

nutshell

Not the LDS church. Its humanitarian department ships thousands of pounds of aid across the world with no expectation of conversion. For example, during the aftermath of the Christmas Tsunami, the church sent food, clothing, medical supplies, and Qurans.

wednesday

Jesus
Have you ever been "biblically bashed," by an LDS missionary?

Yes at work actually. I work at subway, i found it more amusing than anything but still sad.
I go with the theory that if people want to join a religion they will, you don't need to go around recruiting and annoying people who don't.

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
Yes at work actually. I work at subway, i found it more amusing than anything but still sad.
I go with the theory that if people want to join a religion they will, you don't need to go around recruiting and annoying people who don't.

Unfortunately, there are some missionaries who don't follow the protocol they are taught and indulge in "bashing". But there are also complaints from people who enjoying bashing, when missionaries don't participate. So you just can't please everyone.

I know MANY LDS converts, who are very grateful to the missionaries who found them.

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
I doubt that any group of LDS converts would be a representative sample of all people approached by LDS missionaries.
Knowing countless future, current, and former LDS missionaries, IMO, the people who've had bad experiences with them, are people who have bad experiences with many people in many situations.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Knowing countless future, current, and former LDS missionaries, IMO, the people who've had bad experiences with them, are people who have bad experiences with many people in many situations.
So... when a prospective convert has a bad experience with an LDS missionary, it's just because the prospective convert is an ornery person generally?

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
I really have trouble imagining what sort of person would join any religion based on discussions with door-to-door solicitors.
It's nearly impossible, at least in Canada anyway. Most converts already had LDS friends that were teaching them before the missionaries show up.

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
So... when a prospective convert has a bad experience with an LDS missionary, it's just because the prospective convert is an ornery person generally?
Possibly.
I heard a quote once that I love, that had nothing to do with missionaries: "If you meet two jerks in a day, then you are probably the third."