• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Problem of Self Reference

sealchan

There is a problem that often goes ignored either because it is missed or it is shrugged off as counter to common sense. Rational arguments often make ludicrous or extraordinary claims when they "round the corner" or "loop back on themselves".

An example is best because rarely are such problems explicit...today I read an article about how someone was asked to leave a restaurant because they had made discriminatory statements publicy of an extreme nature. The article was concerned that asking someone to leave under the circumstances was a potentially dangerous precedent because it might lead to more of the same. This would instantiate segregationist practices along various potential political divides.

But I had to think of the irony of discriminating against someone who discriminates. This is an action with a logical self-reference aspect. It is the basis of white supremacist arguments about their freedom to speak or any other privileged class of individuals (Christians) who moan any time their beliefs have to share space.

The problem here is that from the perspective of moral values, it is clearly justifiable to exempt someone who defies a moral principle (equality/diversity). The idea that someone has an equal class status being of a class of people against people of a certain class is ludicrous from a moral standpoint but a rational claim on purely logical terms.

Because we often judge an argument or statement on its isolated logic, so often people say things that are ridiculous when seen outside the realm of pure logic. It is the logical use but extra-logical abuse of self reference at play in such cases. There is no purely logical counter argument to such a statement unless you recognize the problem of the self reference implicit in such a statement.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
There is a problem that often goes ignored either because it is missed or it is shrugged off as counter to common sense. Rational arguments often make ludicrous or extraordinary claims when they "round the corner" or "loop back on themselves".

An example is best because rarely are such problems explicit...today I read an article about how someone was asked to leave a restaurant because they had made discriminatory statements publicy of an extreme nature. The article was concerned that asking someone to leave under the circumstances was a potentially dangerous precedent because it might lead to more of the same. This would instantiate segregationist practices along various potential political divides.

But I had to think of the irony of discriminating against someone who discriminates. This is an action with a logical self-reference aspect. It is the basis of white supremacist arguments about their freedom to speak or any other privileged class of individuals (Christians) who moan any time their beliefs have to share space.

The problem here is that from the perspective of moral values, it is clearly justifiable to exempt someone who defies a moral principle (equality/diversity). The idea that someone has an equal class status being of a class of people against people of a certain class is ludicrous from a moral standpoint but a rational claim on purely logical terms.

Because we often judge an argument or statement on its isolated logic, so often people say things that are ridiculous when seen outside the realm of pure logic. It is the logical use but extra-logical abuse of self reference at play in such cases. There is no purely logical counter argument to such a statement unless you recognize the problem of the self reference implicit in such a statement.

I agree sort of, and I will have to give it some thought, but this also includes group self-logic that justifies what the group believes.

sealchan

I agree sort of, and I will have to give it some thought, but this also includes group self-logic that justifies what the group believes.

Sure I would appreciate any counter examples and any feedback...especially if it was given some serious thought.

PureX

Veteran Member
Logic is just a filtering tool. It is not a source for truth or morality. The 'facts' we choose to put in one end of the filter determine the 'conclusions' that come out of the other. So logic does not eliminate bias. And in fact it is VERY often used to hide and perpetuate bias simply by the choice of facts that are being logically analyzed.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Sure I would appreciate any counter examples and any feedback...especially if it was given some serious thought.

I find that what you describes is what individuals argue that reflect the larger scale of the arguments of the group, as in those that advocate Intelligent Design.

I really at present do not argue 'counter examples.'