• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Problem of Others: Do Not Judge Others: Matthew 7:1-6

sealchan

What "community" are you speaking about? The fact that you don't actually know the answers, would point to the fact that you don't have the "anointing", and a source for "all things" (1 John 2:27) While there is no problem in seeking God's righteousness, and His kingdom, the starting point would be the "Word", the Law and the prophets, not the false prophets or the shepherds feeding on the fat of the sheep (Jeremiah 34).

What community were you speaking about?

Yes, so those who know, know...there is no objective meaning here...there is only self-authorized knowledge. I know, because, well...I read scripture and just know. Because I say I do. I am not accountable to anyone else. That is what I get from what you are saying since God won't suddenly appear and speak on anyone's behalf to resolve any questions about who knows and who doesn't.

You are speaking cult-speak where knowledge comes free with the price of admission...and submission to "those in the know".

Now I understand the idea of revelation and knowledge, but if I claim such inner knowledge which must be experienced to be understood, I would rarely talk to others about it as it is either pearls before swine or giving the sacred to a dog. Now I wonder why you don't see this? (you see what I did there?)

Frankly, if I were in a position to judge the depth of your faith (and I am not), I would, based on your responses above, wonder at the depth of your experience with Biblical truth as real psychological experience. I have to question whether you really "get it".

Now, I suppose, we are just two people with different subjective views and no way to resolve it objectively.

2ndpillar

What community were you speaking about?

Yes, so those who know, know...there is no objective meaning here...there is only self-authorized knowledge. I know, because, well...I read scripture and just know. Because I say I do. I am not accountable to anyone else. That is what I get from what you are saying since God won't suddenly appear and speak on anyone's behalf to resolve any questions about who knows and who doesn't.

You are speaking cult-speak where knowledge comes free with the price of admission...and submission to "those in the know".

Now I understand the idea of revelation and knowledge, but if I claim such inner knowledge which must be experienced to be understood, I would rarely talk to others about it as it is either pearls before swine or giving the sacred to a dog. Now I wonder why you don't see this? (you see what I did there?)

Frankly, if I were in a position to judge the depth of your faith (and I am not), I would, based on your responses above, wonder at the depth of your experience with Biblical truth as real psychological experience. I have to question whether you really "get it".

Now, I suppose, we are just two people with different subjective views and no way to resolve it objectively.

Either you have insight (Daniel 12:10), or your are numbered among the "wicked"/lawless and you do not. There is no admission price per se. If you want to have your answers, simply follow the instructions of Yeshua, and sell all your possessions, give it to the poor, and "follow me" (Matthew 19:21). As for casting the pearls of the kingdom of heaven before swine, rebuking the "wicked" (Proverbs 24:25) has little to do with that matter. As for "accountability", you are held accountable for the words out of your mouth (Matthew 12:37), and judged by the words out of the mouth of Yeshua.(John 12:48)

New American Standard Bible Proverbs 24:25
But to those who rebuke the wicked will be delight, And a good blessing will come upon them.

New American Standard 1977 (John 12:48)
“He who rejects Me, and does not receive My sayings, has one who judges him; the word I spoke is what will judge him at the last day.

New American Standard Bible Matthew 12:37
"For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."

sealchan

One last thought...my disappointment that this scripture is only about hypocrisy (in the first part) is perhaps inspired by Jesus' teaching that we should love our enemies. Now if we are to not judge (for a very wide range of hypocrisies) and we are to keep the good stuff from the dogs and pigs whom we must discern, then when do we love our enemies? Is this love for our enemies to their benefit only or our own? Can one be sincere and friendly while gritting one's teeth to hold back the disgust?

For me I think of enemies as those you hate and when you hate that is a strong emotion. That emotion will tend to overpower you when you are in that person's presence. The only sense I can make of this is that implied in this is the fact that those whom we consider our enemies are very often those who strengthen the "enemy within". Our inner world is composed of multiple voices and our psychology is such that in the name of building up our egos we push down some of those inner others. Then people that we meet in the outer world "provoke us" strongly in ways that we cannot fully explain except that we are judging their inner character and it is so very bad!

It is likely that such a person (every one of us) has dreams which illustrate this point. And if in those dreams we could instead of fighting with those "obviously morally repugnant" others, we opened ourselves to negotiating a mutual understanding, then we would, IMO, fully understand not only loving your enemies but "do not judge".

I would challenge anyone to provide me with a dream of themselves or someone and see where an inner conflict between dream characters might not have been handled in the light of Jesus' teaching. Not only that but I could help you to see this dream conflict is a conflict in the dreamer's own personality, one which causes them to judge and to not be able to love one's enemies in a sincere way. The depth of human hypocrisy is more than most of us know and it causes a great deal of pain and suffering in the world.