• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The positives of the Bible from a secular perspective

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
As a nonreligious person, I often find myself disagreeing with many of the teachings and claims of the Bible. However, I also recognize that the Bible contains some wisdom and moral guidance that can be appreciated from a secular perspective. In this post, I will discuss some of the biblical teachings that I think are good, even if I do not accept their divine origin or authority.

One of the most famous and influential parts of the Bible is the Ten Commandments, which are a set of rules that God gave to Moses on Mount Sinai. While some of the commandments are clearly religious in nature, such as "You shall have no other gods before me" or "You shall not make for yourself an idol", others are more universal and ethical, such as "You shall not murder" or "You shall not steal". These commandments reflect some of the basic values and principles that are essential for a peaceful and harmonious society. They also express respect for human dignity and rights. Even if I do not believe that these commandments came from God, I can still agree with them as reasonable and beneficial rules for human conduct.

Another biblical teaching that I find useful and relevant is the saying "Do not cast your pearls before swine". This saying comes from the Sermon on the Mount, where Jesus teaches his followers about various topics, such as charity, prayer, fasting, and judgment. The saying means that one should not waste one's valuable time, energy, or resources on people who do not appreciate or deserve them. It also implies that one should be careful and discerning about who to trust and share one's secrets or opinions with. This saying can help avoid frustration and disappointment when dealing with people who are ignorant, hostile, or dishonest. It can also encourage us to value ourselves and our contributions more, and to seek out people who are worthy of our respect and friendship.

Finally, I want to explore the ethical question of how society would react if someone like Jesus came along today. Jesus was a radical figure who challenged the status quo and the authorities of his time. He preached a message of love, forgiveness, justice, and peace. He performed miracles and claimed to be the Son of God. I would say that he attracted many followers, but also many enemies. He was eventually arrested, tried, and executed by the Roman government. How would we respond to someone like him in our modern world? Would we listen to his teachings? Would we admire his courage and compassion? Or would we reject his claims and criticize his actions? Would we persecute him and silence him? Or would we ignore him and dismiss him? Would he be arrested? Or would there be acts of violence committed against him? I think this is an interesting and important question to ask, because it reveals our attitudes and values towards truth, morality, authority, and spirituality in society.

These are some of the biblical teachings that I think are good from a nonreligious perspective. Of course, there are many other teachings that I disagree with or find problematic in the Bible. But I think it is possible to acknowledge and appreciate the positive aspects of the Bible without endorsing or accepting its whole content or doctrine. Being able to evaluate the specific points of a narrative is valuable and a basic teaching regarding the process of Critical Thinking.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Solomon wrote in his book of Ecclesiastes that "all is vanity" (Ecclesiastes 1:2). He seemed to mean that everything under the sun, including wisdom, wealth, pleasure, and power, is meaningless and futile without God. He observed the absurdity and injustice of life and concluded that only fearing God and keeping his commandments can give purpose and value to human existence (Ecclesiastes 12:13).

As someone who subscribes to Existentialism philosophy, I have to see merit in the concept of realizing the absurdity of life and the depths of the absurdity, and then finding meaning in it afterwards. In my case, however, I don't find meaning in God, but rather human expression, the human artistic side, and human creativity.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
From Wiki: The New Testament quotes Jesus as saying in Luke 18:25 that "it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God"

Great as a backing for Communism perhaps (o_O), but seemingly there are ways to buy one's way out of such - given that so many religious are actually quite wealthy, but less inclined to give such away (Cos I'm worth it!). And that the 'American Dream' seems more about accumulating wealth than much else. :eek:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
As a nonreligious person, I often find myself disagreeing with many of the teachings and claims of the Bible. However, I also recognize that the Bible contains some wisdom and moral guidance that can be appreciated from a secular perspective. In this post, I will discuss some of the biblical teachings that I think are good, even if I do not accept their divine origin or authority.

One of the most famous and influential parts of the Bible is the Ten Commandments, which are a set of rules that God gave to Moses on Mount Sinai. While some of the commandments are clearly religious in nature, such as "You shall have no other gods before me" or "You shall not make for yourself an idol", others are more universal and ethical, such as "You shall not murder" or "You shall not steal". These commandments reflect some of the basic values and principles that are essential for a peaceful and harmonious society. They also express respect for human dignity and rights. Even if I do not believe that these commandments came from God, I can still agree with them as reasonable and beneficial rules for human conduct.

Another biblical teaching that I find useful and relevant is the saying "Do not cast your pearls before swine". This saying comes from the Sermon on the Mount, where Jesus teaches his followers about various topics, such as charity, prayer, fasting, and judgment. The saying means that one should not waste one's valuable time, energy, or resources on people who do not appreciate or deserve them. It also implies that one should be careful and discerning about who to trust and share one's secrets or opinions with. This saying can help avoid frustration and disappointment when dealing with people who are ignorant, hostile, or dishonest. It can also encourage us to value ourselves and our contributions more, and to seek out people who are worthy of our respect and friendship.

Finally, I want to explore the ethical question of how society would react if someone like Jesus came along today. Jesus was a radical figure who challenged the status quo and the authorities of his time. He preached a message of love, forgiveness, justice, and peace. He performed miracles and claimed to be the Son of God. I would say that he attracted many followers, but also many enemies. He was eventually arrested, tried, and executed by the Roman government. How would we respond to someone like him in our modern world? Would we listen to his teachings? Would we admire his courage and compassion? Or would we reject his claims and criticize his actions? Would we persecute him and silence him? Or would we ignore him and dismiss him? Would he be arrested? Or would there be acts of violence committed against him? I think this is an interesting and important question to ask, because it reveals our attitudes and values towards truth, morality, authority, and spirituality in society.

These are some of the biblical teachings that I think are good from a nonreligious perspective. Of course, there are many other teachings that I disagree with or find problematic in the Bible. But I think it is possible to acknowledge and appreciate the positive aspects of the Bible without endorsing or accepting its whole content or doctrine. Being able to evaluate the specific points of a narrative is valuable and a basic teaching regarding the process of Critical Thinking.

True the bible does teach some common sense. Though most people with any common sense would already know the biblical teaching and even without a god on their shoulder telling them what to do would not go around killing people. Human morality coming long before the bible was written.

My view, as you stated "Jesus was a radical figure who challenged the status quo and the authorities of his time." Which is why he was crucified. Crucifixion was reserved for slaves, terrorists and traitors. Someone who denies and teaches that the emperor was not a god was most certainly a traitor to Rome.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
True the bible does teach some common sense. Though most people with any common sense would already know the biblical teaching and even without a god on their shoulder telling them what to do would not go around killing people. Human morality coming long before the bible was written.

True! I'd also say that while morality tends to come from within, sometimes (and I'm not speaking purely from a Bible perspective) moral teachings can still provide some form of guidance and inspiration. Even if I feel that the moral teachings in the Bible can occasionally be on the basic side.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
From Wiki: The New Testament quotes Jesus as saying in Luke 18:25 that "it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God"

Great as a backing for Communism perhaps (o_O), but seemingly there are ways to buy one's way out of such - given that so many religious are actually quite wealthy, but less inclined to give such away (Cos I'm worth it!). And that the 'American Dream' seems more about accumulating wealth than much else. :eek:

There's also the possibility that Jesus wasn't actually condemning capitalism, but just the love of money.

As to whether capitalism leads to the love of money, I'd say it actually does. I wonder if capitalism can work in such a manner where it doesn't promote the love of money, though?

ChristineM

Premium Member
True! I'd also say that while morality tends to come from within, sometimes (and I'm not speaking purely from a Bible perspective) moral teachings can still provide some form of guidance and inspiration. Even if I feel that the moral teachings in the Bible can occasionally be on the basic side.

Moral teaching can reinforce human morality. If reinforcement is needed.
And of course religion can use their version of morality to dis other religions and the irreligous

ChristineM

Premium Member
I like the teaching of the Golden rule by Jesus and believe it is relevant in modern society or from a secular perspective. It is a good tool for moral behavior or relationship management, imho.

This leads on from what I've been saying above. Human morality came along long before religion, it allowed tribes to form. Those tribes in turn formed religions

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
There's also the possibility that Jesus wasn't actually condemning capitalism, but just the love of money.

As to whether capitalism leads to the love of money, I'd say it actually does. I wonder if capitalism can work in such a manner where it doesn't promote the love of money, though?
This is the issue with much of religious textual material - as to interpretation - but 'rich man' seems solid enough. Why promote a system that enables such to occur (wealth and hierarchy) - especially when other systems might be available, and which probably occurred when we lived in smaller groupings. And where any latter system is less likely to cause conflict and divisions. I think the wealth aspect mostly came from population growth and opportunities to profit from such. And it probably was inevitable, given our nature. But for me, the equality teaching of not promoting individual wealth is a far better ideal.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I like the teaching of the Golden rule by Jesus and believe it is relevant in modern society or from a secular perspective. It is a good tool for moral behavior or relationship management, imho.

I'd say that I agree. I actually still don't think that the Golden Rule is perfect though, as sometimes what one wants done to themselves (ie, how they want to be treated), isn't what another person wants. But I'd still say it's hard to find something better than the Golden Rule, though, in terms of teachings.

Jedster

@Snow White
I remember learning about the Shmita cycle where land is given a rest every seventh year.
I'm unsure if this practised today and don't really know much about farming if it is a good thing.
Maybe @Harel13 can comment.

Anyway here's a clip from Wiki

"During shmita, the land is left to lie fallow and all agricultural activity, including plowing, planting, pruning and harvesting, is forbidden by halakha (Jewish law). Other cultivation techniques (such as watering, fertilizing, weeding, spraying, trimming and mowing) may be performed as a preventive measure only, not to improve the growth of trees or other plants. Additionally, any fruits or herbs which grow of their own accord and where no watch is kept over them are deemed hefker (ownerless) and may be picked by anyone.[2] A variety of laws also apply to the sale, consumption and disposal of shmita produce. All debts, except those of foreigners, were to be remitted.[3]"
full article at

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
This is the issue with much of religious textual material - as to interpretation - but 'rich man' seems solid enough. Why promote a system that enables such to occur (wealth and hierarchy) - especially when other systems might be available, and which probably occurred when we lived in smaller groupings. And where any latter system is less likely to cause conflict and divisions. I think the wealth aspect mostly came from population growth and opportunities to profit from such. And it probably was inevitable, given our nature. But for me, the equality teaching of not promoting individual wealth is a far better ideal.

I think I agree. However, I think in the US, that it'd be hard to change things over from Capitalism now, kind of like how it's hard to change quarterbacks on a football game in the middle of the game.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
@Snow White
I remember learning about the Shmita cycle where land is given a rest every seventh year.
I'm unsure if this practised today and don't really know much about farming if it is a good thing.
Maybe @Harel13 can comment.

Anyway here's a clip from Wiki

"During shmita, the land is left to lie fallow and all agricultural activity, including plowing, planting, pruning and harvesting, is forbidden by halakha (Jewish law). Other cultivation techniques (such as watering, fertilizing, weeding, spraying, trimming and mowing) may be performed as a preventive measure only, not to improve the growth of trees or other plants. Additionally, any fruits or herbs which grow of their own accord and where no watch is kept over them are deemed hefker (ownerless) and may be picked by anyone.[2] A variety of laws also apply to the sale, consumption and disposal of shmita produce. All debts, except those of foreigners, were to be remitted.[3]"
full article at

Yeah, I don't know either. But you've got me interested in the subject, and if anyone knows more about it, I'll lend an ear.

Jedster

Yeah, I don't know either. But you've got me interested in the subject, and if anyone knows more about it, I'll lend an ear.
I did a quick google and this article by an American Jew that you may find interesting.

Here's the first paragraph

"Jewish culture arose and took shape primarily as a land-based tradition, directly linked to a particular piece of land. Many of the laws, rituals, and beliefs of Jewish faith are directly connected to the seasons, plants, and harvest cycles of the land of Israel. So, over 2,000 years ago, when the Jewish peoplehood began to take shape and root outside of Israel, many of the commandments did not follow them to their new homes. The ‘land-dependent’ laws remained dormant in Israel, while all the other mitzvot served as the foundation for Jewish life in the Diaspora. Shmita, in terms of its laws relating to release of farmland and cessation of agriculture, is within the category of ‘land-dependent’ mitzvot that are only official halacha (Jewish law) when they can be observed on and within the soils of Israel."

full article at

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I agree that the Bible does have some useful, beneficial aspects to it, such as informing people that murder and theft are morally wrong. I don't know if that originated in the Bible itself or if such rules were handed down from earlier civilizations. I can't imagine a culture or community even being able to survive without at least some basic rules like that.

There have been some fictional speculations about Jesus returning, one of the more famous being "The Grand Inquisitor," which is short story contained within the Dostoevsky novel, The Brothers Karamazov.

If Jesus came to America today, I'm not sure what would happen. I've encountered a few people who claimed to be the Messiah, although most people would assume that they're just liars, fakers, and/or mentally ill. I daresay that few, if anyone, would even believe it (including Christians).

I imagine Jesus would probably be able to find work as a carpenter - or a construction worker perhaps.

Tinkerpeach

No reason to read the Bible for teachings if you don't believe in God.

You can get those same lessons from pretty much any well known philosopher.

Even some politicians.