• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The philosophy of Anekantavada

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
The Sanskrit compound an-eka-anta-vāda literally means "doctrine of non-exclusivity".

Proponents of anekāntavāda apply this principle to religion and philosophy, reminding themselves that any religion or philosophy—even Jainism—which clings too dogmatically to its own tenets, is committing an error based on its limited point of view.

Anekāntavāda is one of the three Jain doctrines of relativity used for logic and reasoning. The other two are:
------->syādvāda—the theory of conditioned predication and;
------->nayavāda—the theory of partial standpoints

Anekāntavāda is not about denying the truth; rather truth is acknowledged as an ultimate spiritual goal. For ordinary humans, it is an elusive goal, but they are still obliged to work towards its attainment.[27] Anekāntavāda also does not mean compromising or diluting ones own values and principles.[28] On the contrary, it allows us to understand and be tolerant of conflicting and opposing views, while respectfully maintaining the validity of ones own view-point. Hence, John Koller calls anekāntavāda as – “epistemological respect for view of others”.[29] Anekāntavāda, thus, did not prevent the Jain thinkers from defending the truth and validity of their own doctrine while simultaneously respecting and understanding the rival doctrines.

It does not mean conceding that all arguments and all views are equal, but rather logic and evidence determine which views are true, in what respect and to what extent. [29] While employing anekāntavāda, the 17th century philosopher monk, Yaśovijaya also cautions against anābhigrahika (indiscriminate attachment to all views as being true), which is effectively a kind of misconceived relativism. [31] Jains thus consider anekāntavāda as a positive concept corresponding to religious pluralism that transcends monism and dualism, implying a sophisticated conception of a complex reality.

Māhavīra encouraged his followers to study and understand rival traditions in his Acaranga Sutra: "Comprehend one philosophical view through the comprehensive study of another one."[51]

In anekāntavāda, there is no "battle of ideas", because this is considered to be a form of intellectual himsa or violence, leading quite logically to physical violence and war.[49] In today's world, the limitations of the adversarial, "either with us or against us" form of argument are increasingly apparent by the fact that the argument leads to political, religious and social conflicts.

Jain monks have also used anekāntavāda and syādvāda as debating weapons to silence their critics and prove the validity of the Jain doctrine over others.[48] According to Dundas, in Jain hands, this method of analysis became a fearsome weapon of philosophical polemic with which the doctrines of Hinduism and Buddhism could be pared down to their ideological bases of simple permanence and impermanence, respectively, and thus could be shown to be one-pointed and inadequate as the overall interpretations of reality which they purported to be.

Metempsychosis

Syādvāda
Syādvāda is the theory of conditioned predication which provides an expression to anekānta by recommending that the epithet Syād be prefixed to every phrase or expression.[13] Syādvāda is not only an extension of anekānta ontology, but a separate system of logic capable of standing on its own. The Sanskrit etymological root of the term syād is "perhaps" or "maybe", but in the context of syādvāda, it means "in some ways" or "from a perspective". As reality is complex, no single proposition can express the nature of reality fully. Thus the term "syāt" should be prefixed before each proposition giving it a conditional point of view and thus removing any dogmatism in the statement.[2] Since it ensures that each statement is expressed from seven different conditional and relative viewpoints or propositions, syādvāda is known as saptibhaṅgīnāya or the theory of seven conditioned predications. These seven propositions, also known as saptibhaṅgī, are:[14]
syād-asti—in some ways, it is,
syād-nāsti—in some ways, it is not,
syād-asti-nāsti—in some ways, it is, and it is not,
syād-asti-avaktavyaḥ—in some ways, it is, and it is indescribable,
syād-nāsti-avaktavyaḥ—in some ways, it is not, and it is indescribable,
syād-asti-nāsti-avaktavyaḥ—in some ways, it is, it is not, and it is indescribable,
syād-avaktavyaḥ—in some ways, it is indescribable.

Each of these seven propositions examines the complex and multifaceted nature of reality from a relative point of view of time, space, substance and mode.[14] To ignore the complexity of reality is to commit the fallacy of dogmatism.

Nayavāda
Nayavāda is the theory of partial standpoints or viewpoints. Nayavāda is a compound of two Sanskrit words—naya ("partial viewpoint") and vāda ("school of thought or debate").[15] It is used to arrive at a certain inference from a point of view. An object has infinite aspects to it, but when we describe an object in practice, we speak of only relevant aspects and ignore irrelevant ones.[15] This does not deny the other attributes, qualities, modes and other aspects; they are just irrelevant from a particular perspective. Authors like Natubhai Shah explain nayavāda with the example of a car;[16] for instance, when we talk of a "blue BMW" we are simply considering the color and make of the car. However, our statement does not imply that the car is devoid of other attributes like engine type, cylinders, speed, price and the like. This particular viewpoint is called a naya or a partial viewpoint. As a type of critical philosophy, nayavāda holds that all philosophical disputes arise out of confusion of standpoints, and the standpoints we adopt are, although we may not realize it, "the outcome of purposes that we may pursue".[17] While operating within the limits of language and seeing the complex nature of reality, Māhavīra used the language of nayas. Naya, being a partial expression of truth, enables us to comprehend reality part by part.[16]

Metempsychosis

The age of Māhavīra and Buddha was an age of intense intellectual debates, especially on the nature of reality and self.
Buddhism
The theory advanced by Buddhists denied the reality of permanence of conditioned phenomena, asserting only interdependence and impermanence.
Vedanta(Hinduism)
Upanishadic thought postulated the absolute unchanging reality of Brahman and atman and claimed that change was mere illusion

The Jains managed a synthesis of the two uncompromising positions with anekāntavāda.[6][20][21] From the perspective of a higher, inclusive level made possible by the ontology and epistemology of anekāntavāda and syādvāda, Jains do not see such claims as contradictory or mutually exclusive; instead, they are seen as ekantika or only partially true.

Jainism
The Jain breadth of vision embraces the perspectives of both Vedānta which, according to Jainism, "recognizes substances but not process", and Buddhism, which "recognizes process but not substance". Jainism, on the other hand, pays equal attention to both substance (dravya) and process (paryaya)

Gautama: Lord! Is the soul permanent or impermanent?

Māhavīra: The soul is permanent as well as impermanent. From the point of view of the substance it is eternal. From the point of view of its modes it undergoes birth, decay and destruction and hence impermanent.
—Bhagvatisūtra, 7:58–59[23]

Jayanti: Lord! Of the states of slumber or awakening, which one is better?

Māhavīra: For some souls the state of slumber is better, for some souls the states of awakening. Slumber is better for those who are engaged in sinful activities and awakening for those who are engaged in meritorious deeds.
—Bhagvatisūtra, 12:53–54[24]

Vikramāditya: What is 'truth'? That which is said repeatedly, that which is said loudly, that which is said with authority or that which is agreed by the majority?

Divākara: None of the above. Every one has his own definition of 'truth' and that it is conditional.

Vikramāditya: How about traditions? They have been established by our ancestors and have passed the test of time?

Divākara: Would the system established by ancestors hold true on examination? In case it does not, I am not here to justify it for the sake of saving the traditional grace of the dead, irrespective of the wrath I may have to face.

In Sanmatitarka, Divākara further adds: "All doctrines are right in their own respective spheres—but if they encroach upon the province of other doctrines and try to refute their view, they are wrong. A man who holds the view of the cumulative character of truth never says that a particular view is right or that a particular view is wrong."

Our experience of the world presents a profound paradox which we can ignore existentially, but not philosophically. This paradox is the paradox of change. Something – A changes and therefore it cannot be permanent. On the other hand, if A is not permanent, then what changes? In this debate between the 'permanence' and 'change', Hinduism seems more inclined to grasp the first horn of the dilemma and Buddhism the second. It is Jainism that has the philosophical courage to grasp both horns fearlessly and simultaneously, and the philosophical skill not to be gored by either.Water from the ocean contained in a pot can neither be called an ocean nor a non-ocean, but simply a part of ocean. Similarly, a doctrine, though arising from absolute truth can neither be called a whole truth nor a non-truth.

"I bow down to the principle of anekānta, the source and foundation of the highest scriptures, the dispeller of wrong one-sided notions, that which takes into account all aspects of truth, reconciling diverse and even contradictory traits of all objects or entity.----Ācārya Amrtacandra"

It is impossible to properly understand an entity consisting of infinite properties without the method of modal description consisting of all viewpoints, since it will otherwise lead to a situation of seizing mere sprouts (i.e., a superficial, inadequate cognition), on the maxim of the blind (men) and the elephant.Due to extreme delusion produced on account of a partial viewpoint, the immature deny one aspect and try to establish another. This is the maxim of the blind (men) and the elephant.

Source:Wikipedia

Last edited by a moderator:

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Anti-religion,

Thank you for the information in your thread.
Did learn a few things today from it.

Love & rgds

Metempsychosis

I am quoting it again.
"Battle of ideas", can be considered to be a form of intellectual himsa or violence, leading quite logically to physical violence and war.

Its time to bring this concept of tolerance into other religions.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
I am quoting it again.
"Battle of ideas", can be considered to be a form of intellectual himsa or violence, leading quite logically to physical violence and war.

Its time to bring this concept into other religions.

Hi Anti-religion, perhaps it possible that what you are suggesting is in itself a form of continuation of intellectual 'himsa'.

Metempsychosis

Hi Anti-religion, perhaps it possible that what you are suggesting is in itself a form of continuation of intellectual 'himsa'.

I didnt understand u.I am not suggesting.Its a part of Jain philosophy.Wats wrong with it?

Metempsychosis

Being tolerant does not require 'action' to bring it to others, it is an idea along the lines of "take the mote out of one's own eye rather than look at the speck in another".

Superior virtue does not know virtue,
Inferior virtue practices virtue.
- Chinese saying

The whole logic of ur argument rest that ur assumption that "I am a jain".I am NOT a Jain.Moreover,I wont be so foolish to advertise my religion and ask everyone to follow it. There are probably one or two Jains in this forum.And I am not one of them.

Do u find this theory wrong?Be free to criticize.

Leave alone my reply,of bringing tolerance .Probably,I felt that because I was not a Jain.I felt that others was "me" at the time of writing.I just liked their spirit of tolerance..

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Leave alone my reply,of bringing tolerance .Probably,I felt that because I was not a Jain.I felt that others was "me" at the time of writing.I just liked their spirit of tolerance..

Hi Anti-religion, thank you for your clarification, now understand what you mean.