• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The old "New School Prayer" email.

Thesavorofpan

Is not going to save you.
Hey it rhymes!

On to more important things. I think kids should be able to practice prayer etc according to their own religion in school as long as it doesn't disrupt the learning process.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
What a terrible idea.

It should have insisted that we'd be a lot better off if we all did 108 prostrations to a properly decorated altar, chanted the Varjrasattva mantra 21 times, and abided by the Five Precepts (not to mention that nobody ever understands that the Four Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path is the ONLY path to eternal happiness, jeez).

Dang it that obnoxious proselytizers never seem to push my particular religion. :sad:

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I think your boss was way out of line when he sent you this very bad piece of poetry. If I worked with a boss who was an atheist and he sent me some bad poetry promoting pushing atheism down our kids' throats in school, I'd be ******.

I also think you were within your rights to respond as you did. Was it WISE to do so? I don't know - I don't know your boss.

I agree that no one particular religion should be promoted or enforced by our public schools. However, I also believe that students should be free to express and practice their individual religious beliefs, as long as this does not disrupt the school schedule.

As for TVOR's assertion that this was the wrong thing to do if you live in the American South or Midwest, or a rural area - let me remind the forum that bigotry and prejudice are not limited to those areas. All one has to do is read the variety of personal expressions on this particular forum to understand that.

This email would be inappropriate in any work setting, and considering that this poor piece of poetry has been emailed around the world by people around the world - I don't think that the American areas singled out for ridicule need to carry so much of the blame for this sort of ignorance. Stupid bosses, paranoid fundamentalists, and people with poor literary taste are scattered liberally all over this globe.

By the way, the American South is the most healthy region economically in the United States. Higher employment rates, lower housing prices, more affordable cost of living, better weather and friendly people - y'all come on down!

A bumpy economic recovery, with hope in Midwest, South - USATODAY.com

"Only 41 of 135 metropolitan areas in the Northeast and West were in recovery in February, according to Moody's Economy.com. By contrast, two-thirds of the 249 metro areas in the Midwest and South were on the upswing based on the February data, the latest available."

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
It should have insisted that we'd be a lot better off if we all did 108 prostrations to a properly decorated altar, chanted the Varjrasattva mantra 21 times, and abided by the Five Precepts (not to mention that nobody ever understands that the Four Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path is the ONLY path to eternal happiness, jeez).

Mystic is on to something. It would be great to see this part of her post in "Letters to the Editor" section of newspapers, and it ought to be its own email.

Well, what say you, Sam? Would you like to see the things in Mystic's post be mandated in school? Would you like to see it become part of our publicly funded education system?

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
As for TVOR's assertion that this was the wrong thing to do if you live in the American South or Midwest, or a rural area - let me remind the forum that bigotry and prejudice are not limited to those areas. All one has to do is read the variety of personal expressions on this particular forum to understand that.

I agree with the vast majority of your position on this subject, Kathryn, but in this particular instance, you have confused me with "yourhopeboundheart". The assertion that you are discussing (above) was his post, not mine.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Mystic is on to something. It would be great to see this part of her post in "Letters to the Editor" section of newspapers, and it ought to be its own email.

Well, what say you, Sam? Would you like to see the things in Mystic's post be mandated in school? Would you like to see it become part of our publicly funded education system?

Um, sure.

Just make sure that I get credit only if it goes over well, and you get the blame if things go sour. :p

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Um, sure.

Just make sure that I get credit only if it goes over well, and you get the blame if things go sour. :p

Not to worry. We'll sign it "Misty Chang". They'll be none the wiser, and if it really takes off, we can always refer back to this thread as proof of its origin.

I love it when a good plan comes together.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I agree with the vast majority of your position on this subject, Kathryn, but in this particular instance, you have confused me with "yourhopeboundheart". The assertion that you are discussing (above) was his post, not mine.

MY BAD - PUBLIC APOLOGY TIME.

sorry.jpg

Thanks for the clarification.

it's_sam

Freak of Nature

It was prior and as i said, EVERY other form of expression is supported EXCEPT for religion. IF you want to be the way you are, you have to allow that on ALL sides regardless of how YOU see it. My argument could be made against corperate business schools as yours is for religion as I take offense to their acts and practices.

it's_sam

Freak of Nature
A student in a public school is allowed to dye their hair, peirce "with parent aproval", be bi-sexual or homo-sexual openly, but is a student allowed to have a prayer circle before lunch? Do we still state the pledge of elliegence? All of this and for what? because the word God offends YOU? HAH! As i've seen most "expressive" teens say "get over it".

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
How times change...
We had morning and evening prayer, every day at school.
all pupils of what ever religion had to attend and take part in the Anglican service.
They had to pay for the privilege.

Even today, prayers are said, or readings given, during assembly in a majority of schools in the UK.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
A student in a public school is allowed to dye their hair, peirce "with parent aproval", be bi-sexual or homo-sexual openly, but is a student allowed to have a prayer circle before lunch? Do we still state the pledge of elliegence? All of this and for what? because the word God offends YOU? HAH! As i've seen most "expressive" teens say "get over it".

I think you're mistaken. A child in many cases is allowed to dye their hair (although sometimes they're only allowed when it's a normal hair color) and have piercings, along with say prayers and be religious. What is not allowed is school-sponsored prayer, as in a teacher leading a prayer or reading from the Bible or something. What is allowed is students saying prayers on their own time, not disrupting class. They can pray during lunch or recess or in between classes, and they can even do it in groups. They can wear their crucifix and other religious symbols, too.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

Great. Then I'm assuming you'd have no issue with Muslims performing salah five times a day in the middle of school. Or for replacing "God" in the Pledge of Allegiance with the word "Allah."

Or for a group of Wiccans to perform ritualistic magic in their own sacred circle before lunch or before a test. Or to start a student group called "The Coven" that uses school funds.

Or for a LHP group to start a Setian organization. Or for teachers to lead students in Buddhist mantras.

I could go on. But you're saying that certain people wouldn't get highly offended if such things came to pass?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
All I have to say is this "prayer" would only be spoken by some misinformed and misguided Christian who is playing the victim card and doesn't know anything about personal law.