• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Obsession

Morse

To Extinguish
I was skimming through a thread when a few words struck me.
Thread in question: http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/current-events/108616-me-rf-forums-going-down-dark.html

I think very often though
"debate" here is about "winning"
almost exclusively
to the detriment of gaining any actual insight
into how others think/view/experience life.

Which for me anyway
is far more interesting.

Some people debate
only because they seem to feel they have something to prove.

I agree this forum, other forums and the world at large are becomming more and more obscessed with being right and declaring others wrong. We are obscessed with being heard, but we don't want to listen. We come up with stronger and more absurd convictions for we know that by doing sowe are more likely to get a response.
Shakespeare said that the world is a stage we strut and fret upon with tales of sound and fury that signify nothing.
With the creation of the internet we have brought our meaningless tales of sound and fury to a whole new level.
God help us all!!

So commenced that rare occasion where I think about something for more than 32.7 seconds, and I decided to post this thread.

Why ARE we so obsessed with being right?

Why do we get such a sense of security out of trampling others and proving ourselves to be "correct" (which is a misconception in any case, more on that soon)? All too often people seem willing to forgo the sense of community and intellectualism that a positive forum could bring in favor of turning the place into a gladiator's arena.

For those of you who subscribe to science as heavily as I do, take it this way. Science isn't about proving yourself to be right, not at all. Science is about observing and theorizing evidence that shows you to be less wrong, for the time being. There is never any boundary or conclusion to science, it is necessary to always keep an open mind to what might be beyond the next corner, or hidden from your eyes. For example, upon our comprehension of the electromagnetic spectrum, waves and particles, etc... It appeared, for a short time, that we knew everything there was to know about science. Some were under the belief that humanity had mastered the natural world's workings. Then along came the theory of relativity, quantum theory, and so on. There is always something you miss, always something you overlooked, or something you didn't comprehend.

So, the point? You aren't right, you're just less wrong for now.

And what does it say about our morality and values that we take such subconscious glee from attacking people and "proving" our intellectual superiority? Is not self-control and restraint a more admirable path? It's almost like an obsession for us.

So what to do about it? I think one should always keep in mind, when posting, to do so in the spirit of intellectual debate. Keep sewage from spilling forth from your mouth, and don't get upset or angry because somebody disagrees with you. One thing I have learned from my spiritual search is that everything has their own path, and that invalidating the one another chooses to follow is nothing but harmful to your karmic well being. It reflects poorly upon yourself.

But does this not make parts of the site, such as the debate forum, pointless? No of course it doesn't. There is a distinct, if often misunderstood, difference between a personal debate and an intellectual debate. The difference is the level of emotional attachment. If one finds oneself angry, irritated, or trying desperately to prove their enemy wrong, then it's probably a personal debate. However, if one puts their ideas out in a thread in the debate section, what they're asking is for somebody to come and critically analyze their notion. THAT does not involve the anger, attachment, or obsession that a personal debate might. It is simply the analysis and critique of an idea, often with you presenting evidence for an opposing or different viewpoint.

Anyway, I think I'm done rambling. I don't believe it to be healthy, the obsession we show here. It is difficult to not become emotionally invested in these topics, but for the sake of a healthy environment, it might be for the best.

Non-attachment is the way. Extinguish yourself! ;)

Snowcat

No question they are on the dark path...which leads to death. This is the nature of Religion - the ritualisic distraction from from True Spiritual Growth.

Religion is the empty husk of true spirituality - Jacob Needleman

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Nice post Morse.
I'd add that it's worthwhile to make friends of people with whom we disagree.

outhouse

Atheistically
I came here to get educated for a free for all thread in another forum that makes this look tame.

I liked the education so much I stuck around.

Ah the ole war horse :)

At that site they have taken the leash off and let us have at it. rogue or wild so to speak. Theres name calling and intellectual debate. In the end we would all go out and have a BBQ and laugh about it. One thing I notice in the wild is that you get what you give. I see the same here.

Sometimes its not a matter of wanting to be right but making sure proper information is passed. Ive only been here a few months and I have seen a rash of blatant lies recently. Those that have educational answers are getting walked on by these people and when I see it, i correct it.

But mostly, I like to be right LOL :)