• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The need for religion

Hi, I've already posted in the forum before but not here and so I feel it is a good idea to make a posting about myself.

I'm 28, male and live in London, UK. I have a small business that's not doing too well at the moment. When I'm not trying to run the business, I'm out cycling or doing yoga. I'm a manic depressive and prone to fits of anger.

Generally, I would say that my life is a bit of a hash but I keep going. In spite of the despair and the endless cycle of suffering, one keeps on going. Whilst society would deem me a failure in many ways, it could also be argued that I have been successful in many ways - especially when I consider my beginnings.

From the purely behavioural/psychological point of view, I don't believe in a God or an alternate force guiding my existence. Whilst that would be a nice thing to think, it is simply a nonsense. For the most part I am merely following accepted patterns of behaviour laid down by society as being acceptable. For the main, objective truth is irrelevant. Ideas and thoughts contrary to this belief are ridiculed and refuted.

The only real fundamental truths that humans believe in the main are those that allow society to continue to procreate and expand. Ideas to the contrary are forbidden. We are governed only by the reproductive dynamic. For the main, humans' perceptions of strength both physical and psychological are wholly reliant on this.

Whilst I do not believe in a God, when I consider the problems that human society is faced with and the myriad of thoughts, desires, visions that the human mind is confronted with on a perpetual basis, I can certainly begin to understand the need to believe in an alternative force guiding the way; to aid one in the spiritual search towards a sense of purpose in life rather than just a finite series of biological processes.

Rex

Founder
Now that's what I call an introductory post. I can relate to everything you have stated.

But the question is while not believing in any sort of higher power we find you here, in search of some meaning.

I hope you find what you are looking for..