• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The myth of 1%

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Apparently a human and chimps DNA is not a 1% difference but could be up to 30% different. What are the implications of this for evolution?

Illustrating how wrong this is, in 2012 Drs Jeffrey Tomkins and Jerry Bergman reviewed the published studies comparing human and chimp DNA.5 When all the DNA is taken into account and not just pre-selected parts, they found,

“it is safe to conclude that human-chimp genome similarity is not more than ~87% identical, and possibly not higher than 81%.”
In other words, the differences are huge, possibly greater than 19%. Indeed, Dr Tomkins made his own thorough comparison and found the difference to be ~30%.6 Also, the Y-chromosomes, found only in males, are radically different, contrary to evolutionists’ expectations.7
So you found two quacks with "doctorates" from quack "universities" who posted some quack article somewhere on some quack channel and you decided this somehow overrides almost 2 centuries of rigorous scientific research?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Quite.

Tomkins seems to be a prof at something called "Liberty University", which apparently is an evangelical outfit with little or no academic credibility, ranked 395-435 out of US colleges: https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/liberty-university-10392

Jerry Bergman got his doctorate from a non-accredited correspondence school, a.k.a. diploma mill, and was once sacked (from some university nobody has heard of) for lying about having psychology credentials, which he did not: Jerry Bergman

From a science point of view, these people are pretty worthless.
If you were very familiar with US politics Liberty University would ring the Jerry Falwell alarms. He was the founder of that university which was not racist at all.

<During the 1950s and 1960s, Falwell spoke and campaigned against the civil rights activist Martin Luther King Jr. and the racial desegregation of public school systems by the US federal government. Liberty Christian Academy (LCA, founded as Lynchburg Christian Academy) is a Christian school in Lynchburg which was described in 1966 by the Lynchburg News as "a private school for white students".>

Okay maybe a little racist. The university used to ban interracial dating, but in 1985 eased up on that and would only inform the students' parents of that sort of activity.

And of course Falwell was the founder of the Moral Majority.

Whatever he was for I was against. One of the few people in the world who's death made me happy..

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Apparently a human and chimps DNA is not a 1% difference but could be up to 30% different. What are the implications of this for evolution?

Illustrating how wrong this is, in 2012 Drs Jeffrey Tomkins and Jerry Bergman reviewed the published studies comparing human and chimp DNA.5 When all the DNA is taken into account and not just pre-selected parts, they found,

“it is safe to conclude that human-chimp genome similarity is not more than ~87% identical, and possibly not higher than 81%.”
In other words, the differences are huge, possibly greater than 19%. Indeed, Dr Tomkins made his own thorough comparison and found the difference to be ~30%.6 Also, the Y-chromosomes, found only in males, are radically different, contrary to evolutionists’ expectations.7

Claimed scientists who work for the institute of creation research have no credibility in the real world so i ask

Independent verified evidence please.

Bthoth

*banned*

As equipment improves they can dial in more specifics.

Knowledge does evolve over time with NEW material findings. For example: as science evolved, the creation stories are proven to be less than just finny jokes, but just stupid

Bthoth

*banned*
There is an a big list of these failed arguments that get posted on a cyclical rotation about every 6 months or a year.

1. Not peer reviewed research.
2. Used the wrong method.
3. Apparently used the wrong method incorrectly, since others have not been able to repeat his results.

The difference between human and chimp genomes remains between 1-4%.

What is next on the list besides the brains behind natural selection?
I do not like the scope of 'natural selection' withou the comprehension that the living system is intent on surviving.
That scope is practically a direct opposition of the 2LOT when drilling down to physics.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I do not like the scope of 'natural selection' withou the comprehension that the living system is intent on surviving.
That scope is practically a direct opposition of the 2LOT when drilling down to physics.
Animals risk their lives, even kill themselves, all the time. Progeny are valued over self. The hive, pack or species is valued over self.
Animals often behave in whatever way aids in the proliferation of its genetic code, Organisms can be thought of as the reproductive organs of genetic codes.
Have you read Dawkins' The Selfish Gene?

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not certain I follow this, but the intentions and desires of living things don't stop them from being eaten.

Evolution conforms to thermodynamics.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

I wonder if they released the metrics that they used.

Bthoth

*banned*
I'm not certain I follow this, but the intentions and desires of living things don't stop them from being eaten.
LIving systems eat, consume, evolve to survive.
Evolution conforms to thermodynamics.
Some have said that and even write how but at the level of atoms and energy, they fail.

Entropy "S" is the single worse scope of physics next to 'heat'

Bthoth

*banned*
Animals risk their lives, even kill themselves, all the time. Progeny are valued over self. The hive, pack or species is valued over self.
Exactly, the life is the importance beyond the self.
Animals often behave in whatever way aids in the proliferation of its genetic code,
You hit it on the head, the old model is forused on the mass (genes) while the actual living part is the energy (process) using that mass.
Organisms can be thought of as the reproductive organs of genetic codes.
The living process is just using the mass to survive.
Have you read Dawkins' The Selfish Gene?
No. I am more of an energy kind of guy. For example: the energy as a qubit (em) rather then potential differnce.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
A similar group of people helped create this amazing experience.... The Ark Encounter Ark Encounter Tickets

For only $60 per adult, you can learn not just about how evolution is not a thing, but also all the kinds of dinosaurs which lived at the time of Noah, which Noah saved from the flood, but have subsequently died or changed despite no evolution.
Are you being serious or satirical?

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
LIving systems eat, consume, evolve to survive.

Some have said that and even write how but at the level of atoms and energy, they fail.

Entropy "S" is the single worse scope of physics next to 'heat'
I don't think I understand what you are trying to say. What do you mean by living system? Organs, individuals and populations are all living systems. What do you mean?

I know of nothing that demonstrates that evolution does not comply with thermodynamics.

bahamut19

Are you being serious or satirical?
Satirical. I visited with my sister a few years ago. Her church was highly promoting it as a special experience, it wasn't too far from where I live, and bought us tickets for the Ark and Creation Museum for myself, my sister, nephew, friend of nephew, and my wife. It was somehow simultaneously far from Biblical AND far from any type of science or scientific method. Even my nephew, who was 6 and enthusiastic about church activities, thought it was not worth the hype. Halfway through, my sister and I were playing a game of who could more quickly debunk whatever was being portrayed in each exhibit. The ambition is impressive, but for the same price, you could go hop on a rollercoaster, hang out with Mickey Mouse, or potentially sponsor housing for a homeless person for a month. There is so much more good that could be done in this world than pretending something which is not science and not of the spirit is somehow true on both fronts. It is fraudulant and frankly, immoral in every way.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Satirical. I visited with my sister a few years ago. Her church was highly promoting it as a special experience, it wasn't too far from where I live, and bought us tickets for the Ark and Creation Museum for myself, my sister, nephew, friend of nephew, and my wife. It was somehow simultaneously far from Biblical AND far from any type of science or scientific method. Even my nephew, who was 6 and enthusiastic about church activities, thought it was not worth the hype. Halfway through, my sister and I were playing a game of who could more quickly debunk whatever was being portrayed in each exhibit. The ambition is impressive, but for the same price, you could go hop on a rollercoaster, hang out with Mickey Mouse, or potentially sponsor housing for a homeless person for a month. There is so much more good that could be done in this world than pretending something which is not science and not of the spirit is somehow true on both fronts. It is fraudulant and frankly, immoral in every way.
I used to be able to recognize the difference with fair success, but these days, I'm often no longer so certain and find it best to ask.

I agree with you. Well said.

Bthoth

*banned*
I don't think I understand what you are trying to say. What do you mean by living system? Organs, individuals and populations are all living systems. What do you mean?
A life. Dog, cat, tree, you and I. The living system can be a cell or an organism.
I know of nothing that demonstrates that evolution does not comply with thermodynamics.
the life as a unit and observe the 'intent' to survive.

Once started the living process intends to live, and will evolve to survive.

fyi.... the thought process is a 180 from the current paradigm.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
A life. Dog, cat, tree, you and I. The living system can be a cell or an organism.
A cell is an organism in most cases, but also part of a larger organism.
the life as a unit and observe the 'intent' to survive.
Does life survive with intent or is it merely an instinct to survive?
Once started the living process intends to live, and will evolve to survive.
Individuals and pieces of individuals do not evolve.
fyi.... the thought process is a 180 from the current paradigm.
So you say.

Bthoth

*banned*
A cell is an organism in most cases, but also part of a larger organism.
Agreed
Does life survive with intent or is it merely an instinct to survive?
Yes and yes. The intent, is an instinct but instinct has a whole battery of criteria.
Individuals and pieces of individuals do not evolve.
Ever note that a life will change it's diet based on environment? There are lives that have even changed their sexual preferences based on environment.
So you say.
Yes...... I am the fool that wrote "LIFE, ABUSES ENTROPY" (about 1982)

All based on drilling down to light (em) upon mass.