• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Medicine Wheel, Sacred Circle of Life

t3gah

"Walk in Balance on the Earth Mother." Traditional Native American wisdom has taught that to experience the essence of life, one must blend with all of creation. It was felt man must come to a point where the unity that connects us all to the universe must be understood and reflected in all aspects of daily life.

Many of our contemporary Native American leaders echo a current need for a truer understanding of the earth and our relations with her. They are encouraging a joining together, regardless of ethnic background, in a committed effort to effect a cleansing of the earth. This both for the sake of the Earth Mother, as well as for our evolution as human beings.

The ancestors knew of the magic circle of the Medicine Wheel. They saw life as a circle, from birth to death to rebirth. They understood the changing energies that came with different ages, and that they, like the seasons, passed through phases as the circle of life and time passed around them. They knew that to fall out of this circle was to fall out of rhythm with life and to cease to grow.

The intended relationship with the Medicine Wheel was to relate better to the Earth Mother and to all of creation. To find a kinship with the universe, everything known and unknown. In everything, the ancestors reminded themselves that the earth, and everything on her, were part of the magic circle of life. The journey is an individual experience, and we must discover our path around the sacred circle alone. When we are able to completely blend with all things, then we are truly a part of the whole.

Remember that you are always traveling around the circle. The essence of the Medicine Wheel is movement and change. We must progress around the wheel and experience as many manifestations of human nature as possible. Through this knowledge, we should attempt to allow ourselves as much room for change in any one life as we can handle. For those who live in a way that is open to all of the lessons creation has to teach, the proper lesson will always come at the right time, no matter who the necessary teacher may be. Every position along the way has something to give, some gift that will enlarge and enrich our lives. The more you are willing to learn, the further you can travel on your journey around the Medicine Wheel, the wheel of life.

You pass around the Wheel with the responsibility of learning of the different elements through which you pass. By this learning, you keep your own life in constant change, you keep the life force beating within your heart as you grow more knowledgeable about those with whom you share the earth. As the Medicine Wheel becomes the background of our lives, the foreground too, we come to know that there are countless ways to travel the circle. As our realizations grow deeper, we continue along our myriad path leading towards the Center, towards the path of Wakan Tanka, the Great Spirit.

Along the way, we meet the Four Great Powers who rule the Four Directions, and we must give honor to each, as also to Grandfather Sky and Mother Earth thus completing our blessings to the Six Directions. The East, the direction of illumination, is marked by the sign of the eagle and the gold of the morning sun. Here is the place where we may see things clearly, far and wide, as if from the eagle's eye.

The green of the South is our place of trust and openness and the hot winds of summer; a time of fruitfulness and growth. When traveling in the West, we would seek a time of reflection and introspection. The West is a place of looking within; to find one's own strengths and weaknesses. When one looks within, he is able to recognize the stars that guide him in his times of darkness.

The power of the North is one of renewal and purity. It is the time of winter, of resting and insight and preparation. The white of the Northern winter is a color of purity, of balance, of life renewing itself.

As we journey the wheel of life, there are daily signs and tokens to remind us of the Great Spirit, Maker of All. Yet in order to honor Him, we must honor his works in all of nature and endeavor to remain in harmony with all of creation. In everything, we must remind ourselves that the earth and everything on her are part of the sacred circle of life.

("The Medicine Wheel, Sacred Circle of Life" by Chris Garner)

http://www.powersource.com/talkingleaf/16.txt

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
one intresting tidbit... most tribes move clockwise when in the circle, be it for dancing or ceremony. Cherokee and a few other tribes however move counter clockwise. ;)
For every 'rule' in Native society there is someone who does the opposite. :jiggy:

wa:do

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Is that the Eastern branch of it, PW? I remember that the Western Cherokee move clockwise, but then I know they have the wheel set up differently from the Eastern branch as well. (Again, as far as I remember it.)

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
The Medicine Wheel is another of those things that have been adopted by the New Age movement . And it has gotten very difficult to tell which is which . { The reference to the " Earth Mother " tends to make me think that the above is somewhat New Age }.

Anyway , what I'm wondering is about the terms . Are the Medicine Wheel and the Sacred Circle the same thing ? I have been told that the Medicine Wheel only refers to the stone circles with 36 stones ?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
It could be feathers, I'm still learning and don't have all the differences between Eastern and Western down. :eek:

I know that the people I learned from moved counter clockwise for personal ceremony. In 'public' ceremony and pow-wows we went with the majority and went clockwise. Some people are offended by people moving counter clockwise so out of respect we went with the wishes of those in charge.

I know there are others who go counter clockwise, but I don't remember who off the top of my head.

Kreeden- I know that the medicine wheel was not origionally practiced by all. It has over time spread out to other nations and is becoming 'pan-indian' for lack of a better term. The circle is sacred to all native peoples but no, the medicine wheel is a specific thing to itself. A sacred cirlcle is usually a 'holy' place set aside for ritual/dancing/gathering. A cirlcle can be 'sacred' or not, but honestly everything is sacred when you think about it. ;)

I don't personally have a lot of experience with the medicine wheel. I hope to learn more when the time and the oportunity are right. Untill then I can't really say anything definitive and I hate to guess or go just by what I have read.

I do know that it has been 'adopted' by new age groups for thier purposes, and most things you will find written about it are from a new age perspective.
Yes, terms like 'earth mother' are again difficult because they are used by both groups. It can be very tricky to seperate new age from genuine native sprituality. :bonk:

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I enjoy working with medicine wheels, in all their forms. I was nearly overcome by the power of one I participated in. The four directions were built using rose quartz to amplify their power (These things were huge, about the size of a grown mans' torso.) Slightly smaller amethists were at the quarter-directions, and the buffulo skull which had been watching the participants for several days sat in the middle, looking down from the North. I don't think you could describe the experience to someone who's never worked within a Medicine Wheel. The joy and the wonder would be impossible to explain.

For non-life altering experiences, I prefer the 'desktop' version, though. It's great, knowing that some of the wisdom you gain is coming from within yourself, and that some of it is most decidedly not. (Spirits seem to like to check in with me while I'm doing this, so I tend to meet the most interesting people/ animals/ things that way.)

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
There appears to be a lot of confession with the Medicine Wheel , and not all on my part . :) I understand that many of the Nations had their own views , which add to the confusion . Dancing clockwise or counter clockwise . Do you start from the South , or from the East ? The colours sometimes differ ...

But I'm confessed about what a Medicine Wheel is . I know that the name refers to the stone circles . { it appears that the number of stones varies } . But does the term also apply to the Circle with the Four Directions ? { wooden loop with a cross } .

And what is a " desktop version " ? :)

I may have quite a few questions on the subject . I have been trying to sort this out for sometime now .

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
yes, the term also applies to the circle with the four directions. ;)

I know we have always had the entrance to a circle in the east. Again I'm not sure about every tribe or eaven really the traditional medicine wheel.
East is used primarily for the entrance, this is where the sun starts his jurney. The east was also seen as lucky for this reason.

I'm also curious about a 'desktop version'

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Ok , I thought as much but have been told that the term only applies to the Stone Wheels . Thank you for clearing that up PW . :)

Yes , because of the Sun , I personally would think that the East would be the logical Direction to start in . But As I recall Black Elk said that the Sioux start in the South , because all Life comes from the South , and ends in the West . I found that concept every interesting . Birth , youth , middle age { or was it old age ? } and Death . Although I have found people who say that the West stands for both Birth and Death . Again , it shows the vast variety of beliefs in the First Nation's culture . :)

Around here , we often see the Circle { or Loop } with the four feathers on the bottom symbolizing the Directions { the circle usually has a painting in it , often used as a Band's embolem } , would that also be considered a Medicine Wheel ? I assume that it would , as that is what it represents ?

And what do you think about the Medicine Wheel being used as a means of making a horoscope ? Was that something that was added later ? { I kinda figure that it was , but could be wrong } .

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I have also always been taught/ am used to/ feel it is only proper to enter from the east. (In my tradition, only after you ask permission.) Sometimes, though, the wheel will 'gently' push you out, which means that you're supposed to move on in the circle (in my case, to the south, the east, and then the west before asking the quarter- directions) until you find the spot that the wheel want you to enter from. From what I've experienced, Fire is in the east, Water in the south, Earth is in the West and Air is to the north. (These also co-respond with times of your lives, emotions and thoughts.) I heard it very well explained as to why certain traditions and tribes have these things in different spots. Their physical location is usually different than others, so no wonder! The elements are actually in the same direction, it's just that, from their location, they might be a few (or many) degrees removed from where another person might grow up knowing they are.

I didn't mean to cause any confusion with references to the desktop version. It's just a handy thing I learned for when you're travelling and can't make a normal medicine wheel (usually has enough space to seat one person inside) in your hotel room, or if you live in a small apartment, or can't easily access the outdoors. What is done is that you build the wheel in whatever your normal tradition is, except you do it in miniature. (I always lay out a piece of silk on a table, or desk, usually, to honor the cornmeal (or whatever you use) so that it might be returned to the Earth as a thank you for the help.) When you've built it, you envision yourself in miniature (or astral project, if you can) beside the circle, and then continue building it and then use it in the manner you've been taught or learned. Everything else is the same.

I hope I explained it properly. I kind of suck at being able to explain things without using hand gestures. :eek:

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
No , you explained it very well Feathers . :) Thank you .

BTW Painted Wolf , I have been meaning to congratulate you on your Modship . :)

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
medicine.wheel.p65.small.jpg
Medicine Wheel​

The Medicine Wheel symbolizes the individual journey we each must take to find our own path. Within the Medicine Wheel are The Four Cardinal Directions and the Four Sacred Colors. The Circle represents the Circle of Life and the Center of the Circle, the Eternal Fire. The Eagle, flying toward the East, is a symbol of strength, endurance and vision. East signifies the renewal of life and the rebirth of Cherokee unity.

The medicine wheel is a symbol for the wheel of life which is forever evolving and bringing new lessons and truths to the walking of the path. The Earthwalk is based on the understanding that each one of us must stand on every spoke, on the great wheel of life many times, and that every direction is to be honored. Until you have walked in others' moccasins, or stood on their spokes of the wheel, you will never truly know their hearts.

The medicine wheel teaches us that all lessons are equal, as are all talents and abilities. Every living creature will one day see and experience each spoke of the wheel, and know those truths. It is a pathway to truth, peace and harmony. The circle is never ending, life without end.

In experiencing the Good Red Road, one learns the lessons of physical life, or of being human. This road runs South to North in the circle of the medicine wheel. After the graduation experience of death, one enters the Blue or Black Road, that is the world of the grandfathers and grandmothers. In spirit, one will continue to learn by counseling those remaining on the Good Red Road. The Blue Road of the spirit runs East to West. The medicine wheel is life, afterlife, rebirth and the honoring of each step along the way.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
medicine_wheel_stones.jpg

Each stone represents the following:
  • The Center Circle
    Creator, Earth Mother, Father Sun and Grandmother Moon
    The Four Clans: Turtle, Frog, Thunderbird and Butterfly

• Four Directions (or Keepers of the Circle):
    Earth ~ North ~ White Buffalo
    Air ~ East ~ Golden Eagle
    Water ~ South ~ Coyote
    Fire ~ West ~ Grizzly Bear

• Moon/Totems: Painted in Moon Symbols; not animals
    Earth Renewal Moon ~ Snow Goose
    Rest & Cleansing Moon ~ Otter
    Big Winds Moon ~ Cougar
    Budding Trees Moon ~ Red Hawk
    Frogs Return Moon ~ Beaver
    Cornplanting Moon ~ Deer
    Strong Sun Moon ~ Flicker
    Ripe Berries Moon ~ Sturgeon
    Harvest Moon ~ Brown Bear
    Ducks Fly Moon ~ Raven
    Freeze Up Moon ~ Snake
    Long Snows Moon ~ Elk

• The Spirit & The Paths:
    Cleansing ~ Outer North ~ Raccoon
    Renewal ~ Middle North ~ Earthworm
    Purity ~ Inner North ~ Dolphin
    Clarity ~ Outer East ~ Hummingbird
    Wisdom ~ Middle East ~ Owl
    Illumination ~ Inner East ~ Firefly
    Growth ~ Outer South ~ Rabbit
    Trust ~ Middle South ~ Salmon
    Love ~ Inner South ~ Wolf
    Experience ~ Outer West ~ Whale
    Introspection ~ Middle West ~ Mouse
    Strength ~ Inner South ~ Ant

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
painted wolf said:
that is one take on it....
It seems that one statement covers most of First Nation Spirituality . :) Other then that , you are on your own with this one PW . I just don't know enough about it .

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
true enough... every nation has thier own opinion on just about everything. :biglaugh:

I have a hard time though thinking of traditional Lakota people 200 years ago communing with sirits of dolphins and whales... :rolleyes:

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
painted wolf said:
true enough... every nation has thier own opinion on just about everything. :biglaugh:

I have a hard time though thinking of traditional Lakota people 200 years ago communing with sirits of dolphins and whales... :rolleyes:

There are whales and dolphins all up and down the east coast. Many tribes came from Florida, and I see dolphins everyday. Why would Indians not have communed with these animals?

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
EnhancedSpirit said:
There are whales and dolphins all up and down the east coast. Many tribes came from Florida, and I see dolphins everyday. Why would Indians not have communed with these animals?
Some likely would have ES . But as PW pointed out , the Lakota people would more likely have related to creatures they were more familuar with . For excample , the Buffalo were very important to the plains people , but here in the NW , the Salmon kinda took it's place . The same with the Nations of the NE . The Buffalo really didn't play that important a role in their culture .

Even the Four Directions had slightly different meaning for each Nation .

:) I once quoted Chief Dan George to a friend , who is Cherokee . I quoted " Of all the animals , Bear is the most like man ". She asked " What about the Great Apes ?" :) I just smiled at her and replied that I guess George wasn't too concerned about creatures he didn't know . Not that he hadn't seen them , but I guess they were not a part of his life , or the land he lived on .

The one thing that I have learnt about First Nation Spirituality is that it often is very much an individual thing , that expands to become a family thing , a band thing , a tridal thing , a nation thing , and so on . { can't even say that is always the case :) }. I really don't know much about it , but that I find quite wonderful .