• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Media

Rakhel

I saw this first and was worried
Tunisia gang burns shul

AP
Last Updated: 3:57 AM, February 2, 2011
Posted: 12:58 AM, February 2, 2011

TUNIS, Tunisia -- A gang set fire to a small synagogue in southern Tunisia, a Jewish leader reported yesterday.
In what appeared to be the first attack on a Jewish institution since the start of the unrest that ousted the country's president, the synagogue in the southern town of El Hamma was set alight and a Torah was burned, said Peres Trabelsi, who heads the Ghriba synagogue in Djerba.
"They want us to leave and seed discord between the Jewish and Muslim communities who have long lived in symbiosis," Trabelsi said in a telephone interview.
He said gangs also damaged four cars belonging to Jews in Djerba.
Tunisia gang burns synagogue - NYPOST.com
Then I saw this and was more worried than before

Mr. Perez Trabelsi: “I am not in a position to confirm that a synagogue at El Hamma was set on fire”

Mr. Perez Trabelsi, head of the Jewish community in Djerba said in a telephone conversation with Tunis-Afrique-Presse (TAP) news agency: “I am not in a position to confirm that a synagogue at El Hamma, Governorate of Gabes, was set on fire.
I couldn’t confirm either the assault on the guard of the religious edifice by a group of raiders,” thus denying explicitly statements attributed to him by French news agency AFP and the Associated Press.
“I never said, either, that a relic of the Torah was set alight in the alleged fire,” he added, specifying that he decided to send a team to the scene tomorrow to shine light on what really happened. Some cars belonging to members of the Jewish community in Djerba were damaged, Mr. Trabelsi said, denying, however, that this community was targeted as such.
Mr. Perez Trabelsi: “I am not in a position to confirm that a synagogue at El Hamma was set on fire”
The same thing is going on in Egypt. The media says one thing, insinuating the worse, only to have another media outlet say something else entirely, thus making the first look like.....oh what's the word?...instigators. Only to find out that the truth, like always, is somewhere in the middle.

I just wonder if there is any way the we, as a people, can get beyond the hate if we are forever bombarded by instigation?