• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Meaning of Om Mani Padme Hum

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
The definition the article is using appears to be coming from Tibetan Buddhism, But then I believe Tibetan is similar to, but not exactly, Mahayana, but I could be wrong.

But it would make since that it would be found in Tibetan due to, what I believe, are its Mahayana roots.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
The definition the article is using appears to be coming from Tibetan Buddhism, But then I believe Tibetan is similar to, but not exactly, Mahayana, but I could be wrong.

But it would make since that it would be found in Tibetan due to, what I believe, are its Mahayana roots.
I think tibetan buddhism have some Vajrayana school

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
This is about cultivating the Five Wisdoms related to the Five Dhyani Buddhas.

Om--reminds us about transforming pride into Samatā-jñāna (Wisdom of Equality) of the Dhyani Buddha Ratnasambhava

Mani--reminds us about transforming jealousy into Kṛty-anuṣṭhāna-jñāna (All-Accomplishing Wisdom) of Dhyani Buddha Amoghasiddhi

Padme--reminds us about transforming selfish desires and prejudices into Pratyavekṣaṇa-jñāna (Wisdom of Discernment) of Dhyani Amitābha

Hum--reminds us about transforming anger and aggression into Ādarśa-jñāna (Mirror-like Wisdom) of Dhyani Buddha Akshobhya

Knowing to make the proper associations between the parts of the mantra and their meanings is to transforming the ignorance about it into the Tathatā-jñāna (Dharmatu Wisdom) of Dhyani Buddha Vairocana

For more, see this very helpful pdf of The Five Buddha Families and Eight consciousnesses.