• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Material World

IAMDONE

Is nearly nonexistant.

An atom is 99.9999% empty space, so physical reality basically an illusion.

even the atom's nucleus and electrons are popping in and out of existence.
Read The Tibetan Book of Meditation...

It is funny how some spiritual people 2500 years ago knew things that science is just now proving...

Skwim

Veteran Member
Is nearly nonexistant.

An atom is 99.9999% empty space, so physical reality basically an illusion.
How does the one follow the other? Physical reality IS comprised of atoms with a vast amount of space between their constituent componants.

even the atom's nucleus and electrons are popping in and out of existence.
Read The Tibetan Book of Meditation...
An atomic nucleus can pop out of existence and then pop back? Really! Got a source for this?

It is funny how some spiritual people 2500 years ago knew things that science is just now proving...
Like what?

IAMDONE

How does the one follow the other? Physical reality IS comprised of atoms with a vast amount of space between their constituent componants.

An atomic nucleus can pop out of existence and then pop back? Really! Got a source for this?

Like what?

The source is Quantum Physics Sir.
Like the nature of reality and how everything in the universe is one thing...Buddhism sir.

IAMDONE

I don't get the first question...
Nearly everything is space...Not matter and therefore nearly all of physical reality is just an illusion sir...

Skwim

Veteran Member
IAMDONE said:
The source is Quantum Physics Sir.
I've read a bit about quantum mechanics and don't remember anything of the sort. So what I'm looking for is a quote and/or link that supports your claim.

Like the nature of reality and how everything in the universe is one thing...Buddhism sir.
Not very familiar with Buddhism, or what you have in mind when you say, "everything in the universe is one." This is far too cryptic to deal with.

I don't get the first question...
Nearly everything is space...Not matter and therefore nearly all of physical reality is just an illusion sir...
You said,"An atom is 99.9999% empty space, so physical reality basically an illusion."
What I want to know is why must physical reality be an illusion merely because an atom may be 99.9999% empty space. If physical reality is defined as the state of things as they actually exist, then this necessarily includes the atom and all its space. Unless, that is, you define reality in some other manner.

IAMDONE

I've read a bit about quantum mechanics and don't remember anything of the sort. So what I'm looking for is a quote and/or link that supports your claim.

Not very familiar with Buddhism, or what you have in mind when you say, "everything in the universe is one." This is far too cryptic to deal with.

You said,"An atom is 99.9999% empty space, so physical reality basically an illusion."
What I want to know is why must physical reality be an illusion merely because an atom may be 99.9999% empty space. If physical reality is defined as the state of things as they actually exist, then this necessarily includes the atom and all its space. Unless, that is, you define reality in some other manner.

Physical reality is PHYSICAL REALITY....
P-H-Y-S-I-C-A-L
Not how things really are...:facepalm:

Primordial Annihilator

Particles and anti particles are created and destroyed at the quantum foam level (as virtual) and also created as Hawking radiation, these become 'permanently' real as the associated anti particle of the pair (on average) does not escape the black hole's event horizon.

''Virtual particles exhibit some of the phenomena that real particles do, such as obedience to the conservation laws. If a single particle is detected, then the consequences of its existence are prolonged to such a degree that it cannot be virtual. Virtual particles are viewed as the quanta that describe fields of the basic force interactions, which cannot be described in terms of real particles. Examples of these are static force fields, such as a simple electric or magnetic field, or any field that exists without excitations that result in its carrying information from place to place. Virtual photons are also a major component of antenna near field phenomena and induction fields, which have only very short-range effects, that do not radiate through space with the same range-properties as do electromagnetic wave photons. For example, the energy carried from one winding of a transformer to another, in quantum terms, is carried by virtual photons, not real photons[citation needed].
The virtual particle forms of massless particles, such as photons, do have mass (which may be either positive or negative) and are said to be off mass shell. They are allowed to have mass (which consists of "borrowed energy") because they exist for only a temporary time, which in turn gives them a limited "range". This is in accordance with the uncertainty principle which allows existence of such particles of borrowed energy, so long as their energy, multiplied by the time they exist, is a fraction of Planck's constant.
The concept of virtual particles is closely related to the idea of quantum fluctuations. Virtual particles can be thought of as coming into existence as quantities, such as the electric field, fluctuate around their expectation values as required by quantum mechanics''

wiki-Virtual particles

Last edited: