• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"THE LORD'S DAY IS THE SABBATH DAY NOT SUNDAY ACCORDING TO SCRIPTURES

AdamjEdgar

Also, my Sabbath celebration is supported through a clear reading of the lens of scripture
Read
Genesis 2

The Seventh Day​
(Exodus 16:22–30; Hebrews 4:1–11)​
1Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array. 2And by the seventh day God had finished the work He had been doing; so on that day He rested from all His work.a​
3Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because on that day He rested from all the work of creation that He had accomplished.​
Note Exodus 20:8-11 says "REMEMBER"

8Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. 9Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God, on which you must not do any work—neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant or livestock, nor the foreigner within your gates. 11For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth and the sea and all that is in them, but on the seventh day He rested. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and set it apart as holy.
note EXODUS 31 says its a PERMANENT COVENANT​
16The Israelites must keep the Sabbath, celebrating it as a permanent covenant for the generations to come.…​
Jeremiah foretells destruction to those who refuse to keep the Seventh day Sabbath as Holy​
27But if you do not listen to Me to keep the Sabbath day holy by not carrying a load while entering the gates of Jerusalem on the Sabbath day, then I will kindle an unquenchable fire in its gates to consume the citadels of Jerusalem.’ ”​
The writer of Hebrews, written AFTER Christs death and resurrection confirms The keeping of the literal Sabbath day...​
1Therefore, while the promise of entering His rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be deemed to have fallen short of it
Read the new covenant in Jeremiah 31:31 (repeated in Hebrews)​
10For this is the covenant I will make

with the house of Israel

after those days,

declares the Lord.

I will put My laws in their minds

and inscribe them on their hearts
note Romans 10...a repeat of the covenant in Jeremiah 31:31 and Hebrews (i will write my law on your heart and in your mind

8But what does it say? “The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart

Notice that Romans and Hebrews tell us exactly what the difference between the 2 covenants is...the new one is not like the old one given when the Israelites left Egypt (in the desert of Sinai) written on tablets of stone, but is now on our hearts and in our minds.

9It will not be like the covenant
I made with their fathers
when I took them by the hand
to lead them out of the land of Egypt
because they did not abide by My covenant

Now to save time...let's jump forward in time to the writings of the apostle John on Patmos in the A.D 90's

Revelation 14:12

12Here is a call for the perseverance of the saints who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus

Clearly even 60 years after the death of Christ, a saint was an individual who kept the commandments of God!

After Chist, we also now have Gods own testimony in human form...in the life, ministry, death, resurrection, and ascension of Him.

3rdAngel

Read
Genesis 2

The Seventh Day
(Exodus 16:22–30; Hebrews 4:1–11)

1Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array. 2And by the seventh day God had finished the work He had been doing; so on that day He rested from all His work.a

3Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because on that day He rested from all the work of creation that He had accomplished.

Note Exodus 20:8-11 says "REMEMBER"

8Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. 9Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God, on which you must not do any work—neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant or livestock, nor the foreigner within your gates. 11For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth and the sea and all that is in them, but on the seventh day He rested. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and set it apart as holy.

note EXODUS 31 says its a PERMANENT COVENANT

16The Israelites must keep the Sabbath, celebrating it as a permanent covenant for the generations to come.…

Jeremiah foretells destruction to those who refuse to keep the Seventh day Sabbath as Holy

27But if you do not listen to Me to keep the Sabbath day holy by not carrying a load while entering the gates of Jerusalem on the Sabbath day, then I will kindle an unquenchable fire in its gates to consume the citadels of Jerusalem.’ ”

The writer of Hebrews, written AFTER Christs death and resurrection confirms The keeping of the literal Sabbath day...

1Therefore, while the promise of entering His rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be deemed to have fallen short of it

Read the new covenant in Jeremiah 31:31 (repeated in Hebrews)

10For this is the covenant I will make

with the house of Israel

after those days,

declares the Lord.

I will put My laws in their minds

and inscribe them on their hearts

note Romans 10...a repeat of the covenant in Jeremiah 31:31 and Hebrews (i will write my law on your heart and in your mind

8But what does it say? “The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart

Notice that Romans and Hebrews tell us exactly what the difference between the 2 covenants is...the new one is not like the old one given when the Israelites left Egypt (in the desert of Sinai) written on tablets of stone, but is now on our hearts and in our minds.

9It will not be like the covenant
I made with their fathers
when I took them by the hand
to lead them out of the land of Egypt,
because they did not abide by My covenant

Now to save time...let's jump forward in time to the writings of the apostle John on Patmos in the A.D 90's

Revelation 14:12

12Here is a call for the perseverance of the saints who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus

Clearly even 60 years after the death of Christ, a saint was an individual who kept the commandments of God!

After Chist, we also now have Gods own testimony in human form...in the life, ministry, death, resurrection, and ascension of Him.
What are your thoughts on this nonsense that "the Lords day" of Revelation 1:10 is Sunday or the first day of the week? Do you think there is any scriptural evidence for this claim? Also, what day do you think John is calling "the Lords day" in Revelation 1:10 and why?

AdamjEdgar

What are your thoughts on this nonsense that "the Lords day" of Revelation 1:10 is Sunday or the first day of the week? Do you think there is any scriptural evidence for this claim? Also, what day do you think John is calling "the Lords day" in Revelation 1:10 and why?
I think that whether or not the Lords day could refer to the first day of the week does not change the requirement to keep the Sabbath.

God clearly tells us in the Old Testament that he is unchanging. It is very clear that the Sabbath being set aside as a PERMANENT reminder that we are created takes precedence.

In terms of the Lords day...it could be nothing more than refering to the day He was resurrected...we have April Fools Day, D Day, Groundhog Day...these are just descriptors.

For all we know, the Lords day could be the day of the week in which Christ was born.

The Lords Day as used in Revelation 1 is I believe the only time this particular phrase is ever used.

3rdAngel

I think that whether or not the Lords day could refer to the first day of the week does not change the requirement to keep the Sabbath.

God clearly tells us in the Old Testament that he is unchanging. It is very clear that the Sabbath being set aside as a PERMANENT reminder that we are created takes precedence.

In terms of the Lords day...it could be nothing more than refering to the day He was resurrected...we have April Fools Day, D Day, Groundhog Day...these are just descriptors.

For all we know, the Lords day could be the day of the week in which Christ was born.

The Lords Day as used in Revelation 1 is I believe the only time this particular phrase is ever used.
Is there any scriptures linking "the Lords day" of Revelation 1:10 to Sunday or the first day of the week?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Is there any scriptures linking "the Lords day" of Revelation 1:10 to Sunday or the first day of the week?
No, the New Testament is silent on which day is the Lord's Day. However, other Christian writings of the time identify it as Sunday, not the Sabbath.

3rdAngel

No, the New Testament is silent on which day is the Lord's Day. However, other Christian writings of the time identify it as Sunday, not the Sabbath.
Well that statement clearly has no truth in it. Matthew 12:8. Perhaps you need to read your bible more. The Lords day is clearly defined in both the Tankh and new covenant scriptures.

IndigoChild5559

Well that statement clearly has no truth in it. Matthew 12:8. Perhaps you need to read your bible more. The Lords day is clearly defined in both the Tankh and new covenant scriptures.
We've been through this before. There is only one place that The Lord's Day is mentioned in the Bible and that is in Revelation, and it doesn't mention which day of the week it is. What you try to do, and you fail miserably, is to argue that The Lord's Day is not a proper noun, but is a description, which would open it up to be any day that belongs to the Lord. Your argument flops.

AdamjEdgar

We've been through this before. There is only one place that The Lord's Day is mentioned in the Bible and that is in Revelation, and it doesn't mention which day of the week it is. What you try to do, and you fail miserably, is to argue that The Lord's Day is not a proper noun, but is a description, which would open it up to be any day that belongs to the Lord. Your argument flops.
Actually the apostle John could be quoting from Psalm 118:24 and if so, it may very well be it directly does refer to the Seventh Day Sabbath.

Given the apostle Johns book Revelation is all about tue Second Coming, I would suggest his statment "on the Lord's Day" is related to Psalm 118.24 and the old Testament Feast of Tabernacles.

Am i correct in recalling that the feast of tabernacles points to the final harvest...ie in the type vs antitype theology, that this represents after the second coming and the millenium where those who are saved are reminded that they were given this earth by God and the Sabbath is a commemoration of creation.
Given its (tabernacles) the last of the feasts, I'd suggest this passage in Revelation is very strong evidence for the apostle Johns belief in worshipping thr Seventh Day Sabbath

New Living Translation​
This is the day the LORD has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it
Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers​
(24) This is the day.--Either the festival for which the psalm was composed (Feast of Tabernacles?) or more generally the day of triumph won by Jehovah, as in preceding verse.​

Pulpit Commentary
Verse 24. - This is the day which the Lord hath made. The thanksgiving day is one which has been fore-ordained of God, and brought into existence by him for a special purpose. We will therefore carry out God's purpose, and rejoice and be glad in it.

Last edited:

IndigoChild5559

Actually the apostle John could be quoting from Psalm 118:24 =
This is exactly the sort of reasoning that I was laughing at. Nowhere in Psalm 118:24 does it say "The Day of the Lord." It says something significantly different -- This is the day which the Lord has made. The Problem is, "The Day of the Lord" us a proper noun, so just because a phrase may have some words in common does not indicate any connection at all.

2ndpillar

The "Lord's day" is the same as the "day of the LORD" (Joel 2:31), the day when the nations/Gentiles are judged (Joel 3:1-2), the day when Judah and Jerusalem are revived, and David is made "king"/Lord over a combined Ephraim/Israel and Judah (Ezekiel 37) for the entire 7th day (1000 years). The Lord's day, the Sabbath, is the same day that the LORD (YHWY) rested from his work on the Sabbath. It is the 7th day, as in representing the 7th millennium, when the Lord David will be appointed to reign over the whole house of Israel (Ez 37), and the LORD (YHWH) will take up sanctuary within Israel "forever" (Ez 37:28).

3rdAngel

Please do not lie.. We did go through this before and your claims ended up being false ones as proven by the scriptures shared with you that were in disagreement that you and you were unable to respond to.

IndigoChild5559

Please do not lie.. We did go through this before and your claims ended up being false ones as proven by the scriptures shared with you that were in disagreement that you and you were unable to respond to.
Nah, what happened is that I finally stopped replying to you when it became apparent you were too emotionally committed to be able to hear the truth.

2ndpillar

So no scripture that proves Sunday is "the Lords Day" of Revelation 1:10?
Sunday is the day of the Lord Sol Invictus/dragon (Rev 13:4), the god of Constantine, and Constantine is pointed out as the "another" "king" of Daniel 7:24-25 and Revelation 13:11-14 & 17:10, who was to "deceive" those "who dwell on the earth", which is to imply that those who follow Constantine, carry the mark of the "beasts with two horns like a lamb". Constantine decreed that the day of his sun god, Sol Invictus, Sunday, is the day of rest, in the year 321 A.D.. As Yeshua, the son of man, is to return on the eve of the 7th millennium (Mt 24:30), he would be the Lord of the millennium, the 7th day, which is a Sabbath. Yeshua, as the heir of David, who will be king after the "whole house of Israel" is risen out of their graves (Ez 37). Sunday would represent the 8th day, the day of the "lake of fire", when the "false prophet" and the "beast" are found in the "lake of fire" (Rev 20:10), and anyone not written into the book of life, is thrown into the "lake of fire".

2ndpillar

No, it;s not. That's the WHOLE POINT. They mean very different things.
The "day of the LORD" is the day of YHWY's judgment (Joel 2:31-32 & Joel 3:1-2). The Sabbath day, the day of rest, represents the day that the LORD/YHWY rested, and the 7th day/7th millennium is when David will be made king over the whole house of Israel (Ezekiel 37). We are supposedly in the year 5784, which is with respect to the Jewish lunar calendar. Which is to say, the day of judgment, day of the LORD, based off the LORD's Sabbath day, with respect to a day is as a year, is near (Psalms 90:4). The "day of the LORD" and the "Lord's day", with respect to Psalms 90:4, equate to the same point in time, but in essence, refers to a millennium of God's rest, after YHWY's judgment, when king David will take on the load of being Lord over the whole house of Israel (Ez 37), and will Lord over the any survivors of the nations/Gentiles (Zechariah 14:16).

Last edited: