• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"THE LORD'S DAY IS THE SABBATH DAY NOT SUNDAY ACCORDING TO SCRIPTURES

3rdAngel

Back on topic...

SUNDAY WORSHIP IS NOT THE LORD'S DAY (OP)

The term "the Lord's day" was used by some in the early Church as a reference to Sunday worship in celebration of the resurrection of Jesus. It comes from a scripture in the bible found in Revelation 1
  • REVELATION 1:10 10, I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet
The Greek words used for the day that JOHN was in the Spirit of is the for Lord's day are
  • REVELATION 1:10 εγενομην εν πνευματι εν τη κυριακη ημερα και ηκουσα οπισω μου φωνην μεγαλην ως σαλπιγγος
The word "κυριακη" (translit. "kuriake") is an Adjective - Dative - Singular - Feminine. This means it is being used as a 'possessive' as ownership or belonging to ("of", see 1 Corinthians 11:20, "the Lord's supper"), which means the "day" in context belongs to "the Lord". It is literally "the Lord's (belonging to) day". This means, that the "day" in context is uniquely "the Lord's" out of all the 7 days of the week, for the day under consideration is that which exists within the week, as a day which repeats weekly. This is extremely important, as those who incorrectly assume it to mean "the first [day] of the week" in lieu of Jesus' resurrection, cannot get a weekly occurrence out of a one-time event, in fulfillment of typology of the Firstfruit/Wavesheaf in Leviticus 23:9-14, as made known in 1 Corinthians 15:20,23
The problem here however is that there is not a single scripture that references Sunday or the first day of the week (bible names for the days of the week) to being "the Lords day" in scripture.
According to the scripture "the Lords day" however can be referenced to "the Sabbath day" of Gods' 4th commandment found in Exodus 20:8-11.
Letting the scriptures answer this question
  • WHAT DAY IS THE LORD'S DAY ACCORDING TO THE SCRIPTURES?
  • MATTHEW 12:8 FOR THE SON OF MAN IS LORD EVEN OF THE SABBATH DAY
This then promotes a bit of a dilemma for the Church as there is not a single scripture in all of the bible that days "the Lords day" from Revelation 1:10 is Sunday. Yet there is many scriptures referencing "the Lords day" or Gods' specific claims to ownership of any particular day to the Sabbath day that he blessed and set aside as a holy day of rest for a memorial of creation (see Genesis 2:1-3) and made one of Gods' 10 commandments (Exodus 20:8-11).
God's "ownership" of the Sabbath day or "Lord's day is also repeated elsewhere as "MY" (ownership of the day as in the Greek used in REVELATION 1:10 κυριακη). Other scriptures in the bible pointing to "the Lords day" as being the Sabbath day...
  • MATTHEW 12:8 FOR THE SON OF MAN IS LORD EVEN OF THE SABBATH DAY. (the Sabbath day is Lord's day)
  • ISAIAH 58:13-14 [13], If you turn away your foot from the SABBATH, from doing your pleasure on MY HOLY DAY (God's claim to ownership of the Sabbath day); and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honorable; and shall honor him, not doing your own ways, nor finding your own pleasure, nor speaking your own words: [14], Then shall you delight yourself in the LORD; and I will cause you to ride on the high places of the earth, and feed you with the heritage of Jacob your father: for the mouth of the LORD has spoken it.
  • LEVITICUS 19:30 You shall keep MY SABBATHS, (God's claim to ownership of the Sabbath day)and reverence my sanctuary: I am the LORD.
  • EZEKIEL 20:12 Moreover also I gave them MY SABBATHS, (God's claim to ownership of the Sabbath day) to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD that sanctify them.
κυριακῇ ἡμέρᾳ used in Revelations 1:10 is in reference to the Lord's ownership of the day. It does not say that this day is in reference to μιά των σαββάτων which means the FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK.

Your challenge here in this OP is to prove from the scriptures alone that the Lord's DAY is in reference to the First day of the week. If you cannot all you have is a teaching and tradition of men that is not supported in the scriptures. There is not a single scripture in all the bible that refers to Sunday as being "the Lords day".

3rdAngel

No. You didn't. i scanned your post to see if you listed his examples in order to reply to them, and you did not.
Then prove what you say. If you disagree I challenge you to tell me exactly how my post does not address in detail with scripture what I was responding to. If you can't why make claims that are not true. That is simply being dishonest and wasting everyone's time and proving you are simply being one of those foretold in Isaiah 6:9-10 who close their eyes and ears to seeing and hearing what Gods Word says. Lets talk more when you can prove what you say.

3rdAngel

I'm not the one arguing with you. It is Metis. He brought up three examples of Jesus supposedly sinning. My only point is that you are scurrying around composing books that never address his examples.
Yep I did not think so. You cannot prove anything you say right? So your not being truthful. If you can't prove what you say, why make claims that are not true? That is simply being dishonest and wasting everyone's time and proving you are simply being one of those foretold in Isaiah 6:9-10 who close their eyes and ears to seeing and hearing what Gods Word says. Lets talk more when you can prove what you say.

3rdAngel

What the heck are you talking about?
So that is a no right? You can not prove anything you say and are not telling the truth. I asked you earlier to prove what you say. If you disagree and claim that I have not directly addressed an earlier post by someone with scripture proving their falsehood then tell me exactly how my post does not address in detail with scripture what I was responding to so we can see if your claims are true or not true. If you can't why make claims that are not true. That is simply being dishonest and wasting everyone's time and proving you are simply being one of those foretold in Isaiah 6:9-10 who close their eyes and ears to seeing and hearing what Gods Word says. As posted earlier, lets talk more when you can prove what you say. Your posts are just proving my point. You are not telling the truth.
I didn't say anything to you. Metis did. Cheese Louise.
Arr but you did say something to me. You made the claim that I did not address an earlier posters post without reading my response to the previous poster then when asked why you cannot tell me. This must be a little embarrassing for you right now. Maybe a lesson for you learned for next time. Please read what you are responding to next time before posting.

Last edited:

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Arr but you did say something to me. You made the claim that I did not address an earlier posters post without reading my response to the previous poster then when asked why you cannot tell me. This must be a little embarrassing for you right now. Maybe a lesson for you learned for next time. Please read what you are responding to next time before posting.
Right. I did not engage in the topic with you. I only pointed out that you were screwing around and avoiding dealing with the examples that Metis gave. Your conversation is with Metis, not me. But I'm watching. So far, he wins, you lose, simply because you refuse to reply to his points. I'm not even saying if I agree with his points or not. Its irrelevant. When you don't reply to them, you lose.

3rdAngel

Right. I did not engage in the topic with you. I only pointed out that you were screwing around and avoiding dealing with the examples that Metis gave. Your conversation is with Metis, not me. But I'm watching. So far, he wins, you lose, simply because you refuse to reply to his points. I'm not even saying if I agree with his points or not. Its irrelevant. When you don't reply to them, you lose.
There is no I win, he wins. The winners are only those who believe Gods Word and tell the truth. You have done neither. All the losers here are all those who are too proud to admit, their mistakes and harden their hearts in unbelief and sin rather than believing and following what Gods Word says. I asked you earlier to prove what you say. You were asked if you disagree with what I posted in my response and claim that I have not directly addressed an earlier post by someone with scripture proving their falsehood then tell me exactly how my post does not address in detail with scripture what I was responding to so we can see if your claims are true or not true. You have failed to do this because your words have no truth in them. I asked you these questions and why you said what you did because I knew what you said was not truthful. You are only proving me right. So again you lose. If you can't prove what you say, why make claims that are not true. That is simply being dishonest and wasting everyone's time and proving you are simply being one of those foretold in Isaiah 6:9-10 who close their eyes and ears to seeing and hearing what Gods Word says. As posted earlier, lets talk more when you can prove what you say. Your posts are just proving my point. You are not telling the truth.

3rdAngel

Oh yes there is. :)
Nope, but fear not dear friend, there is nothing hidden that shall not be revealed. Your untruthfulness has been revealed right? As posted earlier, the winners are only those who believe Gods Word and tell the truth. You have done neither. The losers are all those who are too proud to admit, their mistakes and harden their hearts in unbelief and sin rather than believing and following what Gods Word says. Now what is it that have have said anywhere in this OP that is not true and if I tell you the truth why do you not believe me?

Last edited:

3rdAngel

Your choice not to answer. You lost.
Do you believe telling lies is a sin in Gods eyes (Exodus 20:16)? I answered you in post # 2636 linked (The linked post is evidence you are not being truthful). I asked you if you disagree that the linked post does not address in detail with the scriptures the post it was responding (original post in post # 2634 linked) to then show why you disagree. You were unable to tell me why you disagreed and when pressed to tell me why you disagreed with the scriptures posted so we can discuss your claims to see if they were true or not. You refused to show why you disagree with my answers to you. This simply means you lose because you could not prove anything you said. If you can't prove what you say, why make claims that are not true. I will leave your dishonesty between you and God to work through.

Take Care.

Last edited:

Oeste

There is absolutely no verse in teh Bible that identifies that "the Lord's Day" is the Sabbath Day.

Hi IndigoChild559,

Correct!

Some of our Christian Sabbatarian friends have attempted to screw, bolt and duct tape these two together, but it never quite sounds or looks right, and it certainly would not be historically accurate. I would give them an "A" if asked to measure their effort, but I agree there is nothing in scripture that equates the two.

Jesus was able to heal on the Sabbath (or so the story goes) because it is not a violation of Jewish law to heal via prayer on the Sabbath.
Can you imagine if it was? How different would our NT be?

Jesus prays for healing but comes up empty. When asked why, he says "It's the Sabbath. The Father doesn't work today".​

:eek:

Oeste

. Now look friend, stop with the nonsense. You say "The historic Christian church doesn't claims the Lord's day is Sunday. The Lord's day is ressurrection day, not "Sunday". It falls on a Sunday because Jesus rose on the first day of the week". That is literally the same thing. The resurrection day or first day of the week is our Sunday. Your post makes no sense.

Sorry, but I stand by my post because it makes perfect sense.

The first day of the week and Sunday are not "literally the same thing". This is your claim, but it is a claim based on culture and certainly not one based on the bible. This is why it's important to understand the bible's historical and cultural context before we go off and claim people "lawless".

In Canada, England, Japan and the United States, the 1st day of the week is understood to be Sunday. No matter where you go in these countries, Sunday is settled as the 1st day of the week. However, if you are in China, Russia, Europe (except Portugal), Chile, Niger or Australia, the first day of the week is Monday. If you are in Iraq, Iran, Sudan, or Afghanistan, the first day of the week is Saturday, and if you just happen to live in the Republic of Maldives, your first day of the week is Friday.

That's "our time". If we go back to the first century, the first day of the week is all over the place, and your week may or may not be 7 days long.

Genesis tells us that God created the heavens and earth in 7 days, but this period of time is not called a "week" (shabua). That is an assumption you came up with on your own. Where the Jews obtained their calendar from is the subject of much debate, but it's highly likely it was initially solar based, which would divide up your months into 10 day periods. It's much more likely the Jews followed a solar calendar, like most of mankind, before noticing the phases There is indication that the Jews, very early in their history, followed a solar calendar, hence the period of 10 (asar) days found at Genesis 24:55 (Jewish Encyclopedia V12, p 481). However, most scholars believe that by the time of their Babylonian exile, they referred to a 7 day week, having borrowed the Babylonian calendar, who in turned borrowed from the Sumerians.

The creation period is 7 days, but God does not call this period of time a "week". In fact, the term "week" (shabua) doesn't appear anywhere in the initial chapters of Genesis. For that, we have to wait until the 29th chapter.

Please stop with the lies and misrepresentation and read the OP. Show me where I have ever posted anywhere in this OP and thread that I have said that you or anyone else here believe Sunday worship is the Sabbath day? Is you cannot why pretend I am saying things I have never said?

You joined the two with your alleged "fact" right here:

Fact is though there is no scripture anywhere in the bible that says Gods Sabbath commandment is now abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a holy day of rest.​

So, as far as my "lies and misrepresentations", I think readers are perfectly capable of reading and judging if you said this for themselves. You alleged that we had abolished the Sabbath commandment and replaced it with a Sunday holy day of rest. Now you deny it.

As posted to you in earlier posts. I have never stated that the Sabbath is Saturday. I have only ever posted to you that Gods Sabbath is the seventh day of the week that starts from our time sunset Friday (start) to sunset Saturday (finish)

First you deny stating the Sabbath is Saturday and in the very next sentence you state the Sabbath starts from sunset Friday to sunset Saturday. So in the span of two sentences, you both deny and prove the point I made.

Rather than go back and forth on this point, I suggest we let readers make their own decision.

The Sabbath Commandment

The Jews define the Sabbath as the 7th day, a period of time that extend from sunset of the 6th day to sunset of the 7th.

While the Jews appropriately called this their Sabbath rest, it was never fixed to a named day:

Six days of labor are prescribed as clearly in the Sabbath law as is one day of rest; both must be religiously observed,
This is impossible under prevailing conditions for. let alone conditions during ancient times as no one was able to keep the commandments prior to Christ. Furthermore, the phraseology of the commandment does not fix the six days (the definite article is not prefixed to
V10p604001.jpg
); the definite article before "seventh" implies merely that the day referred to is that following any group of six consecutive days; the phrase "the seventh day" is found also in the Pessah law (Deut. xvi. 8), where it is evident that no fixed day of the week is intended. (Jewish Encyclopedia V.10, p.604)​

BOTH must be religiously observed

Earlier I asked 3rdAngel why he was asking us to keep a commandment that he could not keep. I pointed out that the "4th" commandment has a "work" along with a "rest" component. This is because the 4th commandment is just like any other commandment... if you are going to observe it, you observe it all, and not just some of the time. THERE ARE NO COMMANDMENTS THAT YOU FOLLOW ONE DAY AND SKIP THE NEXT!

The Sabbath DAY is the 7th. The Sabbath COMMAND is the entire week. That's right, all 7 days of the Jewish calendar.

We delude ourselves if we believe we can keep God's commands one day just to avoid them on the next. As an example, we do not honor our mother only on Mother's Day, nor our Father only on Father's Day. That would be ridiculous. We are to honor them all days, all the time. Likewise, if we are to honor God by "keeping" the Sabbath command, you can't just do that by just keeping the Sabbath day. I honored my Dad on Father's Day is not going to fly anymore than I kept the Sabbath on the 7th. There is a work component that God COMMANDS the other six days.

So let's take a look at 3rdAngel's response:

The context is to "Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy".

Yes, keeping the Sabbath Day holy is certainly part but it's not all of the command.

Six days you shall labor and do all your work

This is important. The word "SHALL" is a modal verb expressing an instruction or command, as in "You SHALL not steal." The verb acts on the noun, which is "labor". Since this is an instruction or command from God, laboring the other six days is not something "optional" we can do but must do to show we are keeping the Sabbath "holy".

BUT THE SEVENTH DAY... is not stating that we have to work 6 days a week

WHOA!

This COMMAND from God, the one you've been railing every Christian for not following, CLEARLY states we DO have to work SIX DAYS a week.
It's a COMMAND 3rdAngel, and if you are not following it, you are just as LAWLESS as every Christian you've accused. What part of "Six day you shall labor" are you claiming we don't have to keep?

it is stating that we have 6 other days to do our work the
Six consecutive, not "other" days to do our work, 3rdAngel, with the Sabbath to follow. In order to comply with law, the command to work these six days is made no more optional than the day to rest.

Earlier you accused some of following the traditions of men:

Yes Gods Word is amazing isn't it? The wisdom of the world is foolishness with God. According to the scriptures only Gods Word is true and we should believe and follow them see Romans 3:4 over the teachings and traditions of men that lead us away from God and His Word to break the commandments of God against the very warnings of Jesus given in Matthew 15:3-9.​

Well, isn't that what you are doing here? God says work, and you're telling us we don't have to? That may be your tradition 3rdAngel, Perhaps you just make the "work" optional, and simply insist on the "rest", and then teach that this makes the Sabbath holy.

So how does that work exactly?

If your boss gives you a week's vacation, are you going to rest? Does the bible tell you God rested one week or one day? Are you going to take your one week and rest on the beach, or are you going to work just as this COMMAND FROM GOD tells you to do?

"BUT" is the reference point stating that of all the says of the week God calls us to "Remember the seventh day of the week to keep it Holy

Oh, I have no doubt you have this "rest" part of the command down pat. The problem of course, is that God worked the other days. He acknowledges this and tells us about it. It was only the 7th day He rested but I see no indication he rested on those other days.

Perhaps now you are getting an idea of why it was impossible for us to keep the Law?

" Why? because Exodus 20:11 says For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day:
That's right. He blessed and rested that seventh day. Those other days you work.

So you don't work on the 7th, and you don't rest on days 1-6. BOTH components of the command are to be followed, not just the one that looks most attractive to you. You do keep both, don't you?

why the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and made it holy.
Not in dispute.

You do err not knowing scriptures in order to teach lawlessness.

No 3rdAngel. You did err when you called us "lawless" when you are "lawless" yourself, and you did err when you ask us to keep a commandment that you yourself "do not" and "could not" possibly keep. And yes, you do err when you make clear you prefer the doctrine of men over God's word, a word you apparently imagine yourself actually keeping, an illusion which becomes, as no surprise, a means to elevate yourself over other Christians, even to the point of calling our Sunday Schools a source of lies.

The Pharisees thought they were keeping the law and "were not like other men". There are many such churches in the world, and I believe they simply give rise to a peculiar form of spiritual arrogance.

3rdAngel

Then you stand behind nonsense. Your post did not make any sense and you did not respond to what was posted to you. The reason why your post made no sense was because according to the Hebrew bible there is only seven days in the week and God not me tells us in Genesis 2:1-3 and in Gods Sabbath commandment in the 10 commandments that "The seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God" in Exodus 20:10. We have already discussed Gods time for a day starts in the evening and ends the following evening. So that was never in disagreement with me so stop pretending it is.
The first day of the week and Sunday are not "literally the same thing". This is your claim, but it is a claim based on culture and certainly not one based on the bible.
No it is not my claim at all. You keep saying things I do not say or believe. That is being dishonest and bearing false witness. The Hebrew first day of the week starts our time from Saturday sunset and finishes our time Sunday at sunset. Jesus rose on the first day of the week (see Matthew 28:1). The reason most Church's follow Sunday worship is because of Jesus resurrection on the same day. Everything I have posted to you here is based on what the bible says and are Gods Words not my words that you deny with your words that are not Gods.
In Canada, England, Japan and the United States, the 1st day of the week is understood to be Sunday. No matter where you go in these countries, Sunday is settled as the 1st day of the week. However, if you are in China, Russia, Europe (except Portugal), Chile, Niger or Australia, the first day of the week is Monday. If you are in Iraq, Iran, Sudan, or Afghanistan, the first day of the week is Saturday, and if you just happen to live in the Republic of Maldives, your first day of the week is Friday.

That's "our time". If we go back to the first century, the first day of the week is all over the place, and your week may or may not be 7 days long.

Genesis tells us that God created the heavens and earth in 7 days, but this period of time is not called a "week" (shabua). That is an assumption you came up with on your own. Where the Jews obtained their calendar from is the subject of much debate, but it's highly likely it was initially solar based, which would divide up your months into 10 day periods. It's much more likely the Jews followed a solar calendar, like most of mankind, before noticing the phases There is indication that the Jews, very early in their history, followed a solar calendar, hence the period of 10 (asar) days found at Genesis 24:55 (Jewish Encyclopedia V12, p 481). However, most scholars believe that by the time of their Babylonian exile, they referred to a 7 day week, having borrowed the Babylonian calendar, who in turned borrowed from the Sumerians.

The creation period is 7 days, but God does not call this period of time a "week". In fact, the term "week" (shabua) doesn't appear anywhere in the initial chapters of Genesis. For that, we have to wait until the 29th chapter.
Please pay attention. You are trying to make strawman arguments again that no one is arguing about or talking about and do not make sense as a response to my posts and the scriptures that have been shared with you. When I am talking 1st day of the week or seventh day of the week I am talking Hebrew bible time. Gods time. Not made up man time that the devil has recently brought in to confuse people. So everything you have posted here is not relevant.
My quote with more context here..
3rdAngel said: Please stop with the lies and misrepresentation and read the OP. Show me where I have ever posted anywhere in this OP and thread that I have said or that you or anyone else here believe Sunday worship is the Sabbath day? Is you cannot why pretend I am saying things I have never said? Again as proven through the scriptures and the OP earlier, there is no scripture linking Sunday or the first day of the week to being "the Lords day" of Revelation 1:10 anywhere in the entire bible and you posting your words in disagreement with Gods Word saying that the scriptures I have posted do not show that "the Lords day" is the Sabbath day are simply you closing your eyes and ears in denial of the scriptures sent you that are in disagreement with you that you are unwilling to address that prove what you say is untruthful.
You then say...
Instead of addressing anything in my posts you part quote me here from a completely different post here
3rdAngel said: Well if what you posted above was true you would have no problem answering the OP now would you? Fact is though there is no scripture anywhere in the bible that says Gods Sabbath commandment is now abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a holy day of rest. Just like there is no scripture anywhere in the bible that says Sunday is the Christian Sabbath. As posted earlier there is no scripture from Paul saying that it does not matter what day is the Sabbath so you are making that one up. You were provided evidence from the bible as to what Paul was quoting from on Col. 2:16-17 from the old covenant scripture proving that Col. 2:16 was not a reference to Gods 4th commandment but several other minor annual (not weekly) ceremonial sabbaths connected to the annual Feast days, new moons and meat and drink offerings and the old covenant laws of atonement. This was also agreed to by three independent Greek scholars provided in posts # 855 linked; and post #856 linked. Your response was to simple ignore and not respond to anything provided to you proving your claims here were unfounded. Fact is your simply wrong here friend and have no response.
You continue to say here..
So, as far as my "lies and misrepresentations", I think readers are perfectly capable of reading and judging if you said this for themselves. You alleged that we had abolished the Sabbath commandment and replaced it with a Sunday holy day of rest. Now you deny it.
You then continue to micro-quote me from another post here...
3rdAngel said: As posted to you in earlier posts. I have never stated that the Sabbath is Saturday. I have only ever posted to you that Gods Sabbath is the seventh day of the week that starts from our time sunset Friday (start) to sunset Saturday (finish)
I think readers can see for themselves as well. How does me saying "Fact is though there is no scripture anywhere in the bible that says Gods Sabbath commandment is now abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a holy day of rest." or "Just like there is no scripture anywhere in the bible that says Sunday is the Christian Sabbath" translate into me saying that the Sabbath is literally Saturday our time when the context from all my other posts to you have directly stated to you that when I talk about a day in the bible and Hebrew time it is from sunset to sunset and when I have already stated to you many time now the Sabbath starts our time from Friday sunset and finishes Saturday sunset? Yea you are indeed trying to micro-quote our discussion trying to make posts say things they have never started. This is the same as spreading lies and misinformation as I have already posted this to you many times now yet you continue pretending I have said things I have never said or do not believe. I will leave that between you and God to work through.

to be continued...

Last edited:

3rdAngel

The Sabbath Commandment The Jews define the Sabbath as the 7th day, a period of time that extend from sunset of the 6th day to sunset of the 7th.
Which is what I have said to you from the start. Why pretend that I believe something differently and if we believe the same thing on this point what is your argument? You have none because we believe that Gods time for a day starts at sunset and finishes the following sunset. As posted to you from the beginning the seventh day of the week in Gods time starts from Friday sunset and finishes Saturday sunset our time. Lets not make excuses for sin (1 John 3:4; Exodus 20:8-11; Exodus 20:16).
While the Jews appropriately called this their Sabbath rest, it was never fixed to a named day:
Six days of labor are prescribed as clearly in the Sabbath law as is one day of rest; both must be religiously observed,
This is impossible under prevailing conditions for. let alone conditions during ancient times as no one was able to keep the commandments prior to Christ. Furthermore, the phraseology of the commandment does not fix the six days (the definite article is not prefixed to
V10p604001.jpg
); the definite article before "seventh" implies merely that the day referred to is that following any group of six consecutive days; the phrase "the seventh day" is found also in the Pessah law (Deut. xvi. 8), where it is evident that no fixed day of the week is intended. (Jewish Encyclopedia V.10, p.604). BOTH must be religiously observed
Why are you posting man-made teachings and traditions that lead others to break the commandments of God instead of believing and following what the scriptures teach? The title of your post quote is "Jewish Attitude to Sunday" not What day is the Sabbath. It is part of a much larger article looking at what the writers believe is some of the history of Sabbath and Sunday. Your micro quote is not stating that is what all Jews believe. It is stating various arguments that have been made around Sabbath and Sunday (read the context). Its what the writers believe is a brief historical account as to when and why the Sabbath ceased among the Christian Church's (Source: Sabbath and Sunday linked). You are taking sections of this article out of context to make claims that the article is not making. The Jews as a people do not believe what you have quoted above. Go do your research and see what day the Jews keep Sabbath. They have been keeping the same Sabbath for over 4000 years on the same day Jesus kept the Sabbath and all the apostles and disciples and that is our time Friday Sunset to Saturday sunset. It says no where in the scriptures that both Sabbath and Sunday must be observed. If that was true you would be able to show scripture for your claim. Fact is though you cannot or you would have already done so.
Earlier I asked 3rdAngel why he was asking us to keep a commandment that he could not keep. I pointed out that the "4th" commandment has a "work" along with a "rest" component. This is because the 4th commandment is just like any other commandment... if you are going to observe it, you observe it all, and not just some of the time. THERE ARE NO COMMANDMENTS THAT YOU FOLLOW ONE DAY AND SKIP THE NEXT!

The Sabbath DAY is the 7th. The Sabbath COMMAND is the entire week. That's right, all 7 days of the Jewish calendar.

We delude ourselves if we believe we can keep God's commands one day just to avoid them on the next. As an example, we do not honor our mother only on Mother's Day, nor our Father only on Father's Day. That would be ridiculous. We are to honor them all days, all the time. Likewise, if we are to honor God by "keeping" the Sabbath command, you can't just do that by just keeping the Sabbath day. I honored my Dad on Father's Day is not going to fly anymore than I kept the Sabbath on the 7th. There is a work component that God COMMANDS the other six days.
Please do not untruthful dear friend and promote teachings of lawlessness which the bible no where teaches. I keep Gods 4th commandment. You are deluding yourself if you can profess to be Jesus disciple if you do not believe and obey what Gods Word says (see 1 John 2:3-4). Gods Sabbath day according to the scriptures is the seventh day of the week that has its origin from Genesis 2:1-3. Gods Word not mine says that "The seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God" (Exodus 20:10). This is because on "the seventh day" of the creation week God rested from all His work that He had made and blessed the seventh day and made the seventh day a holy day of rest for all mankind as shown in Genesis 2:1-3 and Mark 2:27.

The seventh day commandment of Gods 10 commandments is one of Gods 10 commandments that gives us a knowledge of what sin is when broken according to the scriptures and James says in James 2:10-11 if we break anyone of them we stand guilty before God of sin. As posted many time now there is not a single scripture in all of the bible from Genesis to Revelation that says Gods 4th commandments (seventh day Sabbath) of the 10 commandments has been abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday or the first day of the week as a memorial of the resurrection of Jesus.

Sunday worship is simply a man-made teaching and tradition that has led many away from God and His Word to follow the teachings and traditions of men to break the commandments of God against the very warnings of Jesus in Matthew 15:3-9. Jesus says in these scriptures if we choose to follow man-made teachings and traditions that lead us to bread the commandments of God we are not worshiping God. Begs the question who do we believe and follow: God or man? This will be the test that everyone of us will need to answer for ourselves before the second coming. We have all be taught lies from Sunday school. The mainstream Christian Church's of the world have fallen away from God and His Word. God is calling His people to come out of following man-made teachings and traditions back to worship Him in Spirit and in truth (see John 10:16; John 4:23-24). God is calling us all back to His Word.
So let's take a look at 3rdAngel's response: Yes, keeping the Sabbath Day holy is certainly part but it's not all of the command.
This is important. The word "SHALL" is a modal verb expressing an instruction or command, as in "You SHALL not steal." The verb acts on the noun, which is "labor". Since this is an instruction or command from God, laboring the other six days is not something "optional" we can do but must do to show we are keeping the Sabbath "holy".......
Sorry I do not believe you. It is clear you do not understand the scriptures. Exodus 20:10 defines the Sabbath when it says; "But the SEVENTH DAY IS THE SABBATH OF THE LORD YOUR GOD..." The Sabbath commandment says..
  • Exodus 20:8-11 8, Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9, Six days shall you labor, and do all your work: 10, But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD your God: in it you shall not do any work, you, nor your son, nor your daughter, your manservant, nor your maidservant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger that is within your gates: 11, For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: why the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and made it holy.
The context is to "Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy". Six days you shall labor and do all your work BUT THE SEVENTH DAY IS THE SABBATH OF THE LORD YOUR GOD ... is stating that we have 6 other days to do our work (which I also do for your interest; work includes all secular, domestic, business, buying and selling) on the "BUT" is the reference point stating that of all the days of the week God calls us to "Remember the seventh day of the week to keep it Holy" Why? because Exodus 20:11 says For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: why the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and made it holy. God is quoting back to Genesis 2:1-3. You do err not knowing scriptures in order to teach your doctrines lawlessness choosing instead to believe in the lies of Sunday school and your traditions instead of the Word of God.

Time to leave the lies of Sunday school behind and return back to God and His Word (see John 12:47-48).

Last edited:

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

The first day of the week and Sunday are not "literally the same thing".
The days of the week as referred to in the Torah are found on the Jewish calendar. They begin and end at Sundown. The first day of the week Biblically refers to Saturday sundown to Sunday sundown, or roughly, Sunday. The seventh day in the Bible corresponds to Friday sundown to Saturday sundown, or roughly, Saturday.