• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The logic behind worshipping (a) man.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I intend to worship Julius Ceaser. Currently, I am acquiring the things I need to build a shrine to him. When I tell this to people, they are at first puzzled. It seems bizarre at first perhaps, but to me it seems logical to worship a man who verifiably existed more so than to worship a deity with no verification of existence.

Though we know man exists, we know man is flawed and often "evil". Perhaps this is why in modern times the worship of man is out of practice. Yet, there are those who argue that man is truly great, perhaps even special. We can reach the stars (soon enough). We can change the world. We have so much power, yet at the same time, we are powerless when it comes to our own mortality. One reason or another, man is no longer widely worshipped.

Is there a "soul"? Is there a conscious essence of a being left when the mortal body dies? Who knows with certainty? Only the dead perhaps. But I know for certain Julius Ceaser existed at one point. Do I know for certain that any god of any religion exists? No, that is an impossibility to know with certainty. So, I wager my time, effort, and resources attempting to acquire mana from the spirit of Julius Ceaser. I will eventually seek out other gods and build shrines, the more mana the better. But I will start with Ceaser. He is a great inspiration to me.

I know the human mind to be extraordinary, perhaps the most extraordinary biological organ to ever exist (biased, of course). Whether man reaches the threshold of being categorized as a "god" is a topic of debate. I am of the opinion that I am a god. I have the power to change the world. I know not if I will persist once my mortal body has passed on, but I know that I once was. And while I am, I can change the whole world, and so can you.
My point is that man (such as myself) has "godly" powers. And man is right in front of me, so why not worship man?

Julius Ceaser renamed the month he was born in after himself, and two thousand years later, I am born in the month of July. I just am awed and want that type of lasting influence on humanity.

It's always going to be a gamble, choosing who or what to worship. Because you might be worshipping something entirely fiction. To some, that does not matter, but to me it does, at least partially.

So that is my logic for worshipping a man (Julius Ceaser) as opposed as to worshipping a more traditional object of faith.

I hope to have disciples and worshippers one day myself. I will eventually worship myself in earnest as well. I have yet found a person alive who I want to follow/worship, and I fear that man is me.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I would never worship a human; especially not for reasons of intelligence, beauty, skill, or power. There is the virtue of heart, without heart a human is utterly destructive, warring, and arrogant. Having heart, or good will, and a sense of charity and honor is the only qualities I admire first and foremost. Without heart I consider humans to be barbaric, oppressive, and utterly worthless.

Worship is excessive adoration in my book. Admiration is the best it gets. If I was to worship anything it would be ideals, and principles of virtues that are carefully defined. I would worship the idea that the purpose of life is to help each other.

King Phenomenon

I would never worship a human; especially not for reasons of intelligence, beauty, skill, or power. There is the virtue of heart, without heart a human is utterly destructive, warring, and arrogant. Having heart, or good will, and a sense of charity and honor is the only qualities I admire first and foremost. Without heart I consider humans to be barbaric, oppressive, and utterly worthless.

Worship is excessive adoration in my book. Admiration is the best it gets. If I was to worship anything it would be ideals, and principles of virtues that are carefully defined. I would worship the idea that the purpose of life is to help each other.
What if that human made yours and everyone else’s existence possible? Or maybe Just tip your hat to him. Haha

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I like this definition of worship. It's quite encompassing. If you adore a figure, you will probably listen to that figure's sets of rules. Idk about "excessive" but adoration nonetheless.

But in many supposed cases of worship, the worshipper gets something in return, something I am referring to simply as "mana". This is what interests me about worship.

Julius Ceaser himself writes firsthand about his war campaigns, which includes war crimes by modern standards. I don't want to worship him because of his heart. I have other reasons. But I do admire him.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I like this definition of worship. It's quite encompassing. If you adore a figure, you will probably listen to that figure's sets of rules. Idk about "excessive" but adoration nonetheless.

But in many supposed cases of worship, the worshipper gets something in return, something I am referring to simply as "mana". This is what interests me about worship.

Julius Ceaser himself writes firsthand about his war campaigns, which includes war crimes by modern standards. I don't want to worship him because of his heart. I have other reasons. But I do admire him.
I can appreciate qualities like intellect, skill, and power without even liking a person.

Adoration belongs to a saviour. I've never encountered someone that high up.