• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Lessons Of Suffering

PureX

Veteran Member
Two of my favorite artists in the world are an Australian Aboriginal couple named Archie Roach and Ruby Hunter. I stumbled on them years ago as I was fascinated with all things Australian after a visit to that wonderful country, and I was looking up Australian artists on the internet.

Two things really caught my mind and imagination as I read about them: one was that they had both been part of the "lost generation" of Australian Aboriginals who had been taken from their homes as very young children and raised in horrible boarding schools, only to be turned out on the streets, lost and alone, years later. And the other was that Archie had overcome an alcohol addiction, and he and Ruby had overcome homelessness through their love of each other and the practice of music.

As an artist and music lover myself, and a recovered alcoholic, I felt a kind of kinship with these folks even though their suffering had been so different from mine, and their world so far away (I live in the U.S.). I've never met them, but I've collected all their published music, and hope someday to get the chance to see them perform live.

But anyway, I was just now reading something that Archie Roach said in an interview, about his suffering, and the nature of suffering in general, and it caused me to think on the many threads I have seen in which we on RF seem to be grappling with the idea of suffering.

Here was Archie's quote: “We can’t measure the depths of each other’s suffering. When you suffer, that’s the worst suffering in the world. That’s what I try to talk about (in his music).

“When I first wrote Took the Children Away, I thought, ‘Here I’m writing for my people – at last a song that tells this terrible thing.’ But non-aboriginal people are coming up to me and saying it meant so much to them, because they didn’t have to be aboriginal to understand the emotion of being separated from your mother?

“A lot of things are sad but I would never ask to be different. Terrible things happen because of misunderstanding, but I know I would be a poorer person if I had not been through these things.”

Archie has written and published a number of songs about loss, and suffering, and forgiveness. It's one of the reasons I appreciate his music. In many ways it defines him as a man and as an artist. As horrible as his childhood was, and his time as a homeless alcoholic, it was his finding his way through this suffering, and eventually overcoming it in his mind and heart, that defines him not only as a man and an artist, to me, but also to some degree as a hero.

Who would he be, after all, without it? Who would I be, had I not fallen into the abyss of alcoholism and hopelessness, and then been risen up, again? Who would any of us be without our pain and suffering, and our losses in life?

-Just wondering what you all think about this.

f_pg22archie.jpg

Archie and Ruby performing with the Australian Arts Orchestra

slabbey06

Bond-Servant of Christ
Great post! I think you're right in your assessment of suffering. I know I've grown the most in those days of my life which have been the darkest. As awful as certain days...years actually... of my life have been, I wouldn't trade them because it is through them that I've learned how to better serve others, grown as a person, and most importantly, grown in my relationship with the Lord.

lunamoth

Will to love
A beautiful and inspiring story...an inspiring person from what you've written here. I think I would enjoy hearing their music about loss, suffering and forgivenss.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Are there any YouTube videos showcasing their music by chance?

As morbid as it might sound, meloncholy novels of suffering are my favorite books to read. Angela's Ashes, Tuesdays With Morrie, White Oleander, Blackbird, Before Women Had Wings....are a few that come to mind as excellent reads. Through reading about the suffering of others we can release much of our own pent up pain and frustration, even if our pain is not the same as the author's pain. And, at the same time hopefully become more empathetic toward the suffering of others.

PureX

Veteran Member
Here is a nice article on them ... stuff in here even I didn't know.

"Took The Children Away" (an older song from the Charcoal Lane CD - won many awards both musical and humanitatian)

"Jamu Dreaming" (beautiful imagery with this video, put together by some u-tuber)

These songs are older, however, and I prefer his newer CDs, "Looking For Butter Boy" and "Sensual Being". You can buy these cheap at Amazon, and I highly recommend them.

His latest project has Archie and Ruby working together on a performance called "Ruby" with the Australian Arts Orchestra. It's also out on CD and very good, but I'd KILL for a DVD of it!

Here's Archie with an Ausie performer singing a Paul Kelley song: the guy has amazing presence on stage ...

PureX

Veteran Member
Are there any YouTube videos showcasing their music by chance?

As morbid as it might sound, meloncholy novels of suffering are my favorite books to read. Angela's Ashes, Tuesdays With Morrie, White Oleander, Blackbird, Before Women Had Wings....are a few that come to mind as excellent reads. Through reading about the suffering of others we can release much of our own pent up pain and frustration, even if our pain is not the same as the author's pain. And, at the same time hopefully become more empathetic toward the suffering of others.
Check out an Australian film called "The Rabbit-proof Fence". It's the true story of three sisters who were part of the Stolen Generation in Australia, and who twice walked 1500 miles by themselves to get back home.

The film "Walkabout" is also one of my favorites.

If you like sad songs, check out Archie's "Summer Of My Life" on u-tube. Kinda dumb animation, though.

waikru

Why were they taken from there parents, thats a question you should look into.
Many were less then capable parents.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Pain and suffering are indeed important bio-feedback mechanisms that shape us not only individually, but as a species and a culture.

PureX

Veteran Member
Here's Archie doing a song about domestic violence. He and Ruby have been long-time supporters of this cause in Australia.

Archie Roach - "Walking Into Doors"

Here's a song about his meeting his wife Ruby ... "From paradise" featuring her and some of his real family in the video. Archie and Ruby have been adopting unwanted children and raising them for many years.

Somkid

The First of the Buddha's Four Noble Truths is that human existence is suffering, (Pali Dukka), which connotes the idea of an illness generated by the self through its false attachments.

The Nature of Suffering (Dukka):
"Now this ... is the noble truth of suffering:birth is suffering,aging is suffering, illness is suffering, death is suffering; union with what is displeasing is suffering; separation from what is pleasing is suffering; not to get what one wants is suffering; in brief, the five aggregates subject to clinging are suffering." (Pali Cannon)

To live means to suffer, because the human nature is not perfect and neither is the world we live in. During our lifetime, we inevitably have to endure physical suffering such as pain, sickness, injury, tiredness, old age, and eventually death; and we have to endure psychological suffering like sadness, fear, frustration, disappointment, and depression. Although there are different degrees of suffering and there are also positive experiences in life that we perceive as the opposite of suffering, such as ease, comfort and happiness, life in its totality is imperfect and incomplete, because our world is subject to impermanence. This means we are never able to keep permanently what we strive for, and just as happy moments pass by, we ourselves and our loved ones will pass away one day, too.