• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The last time you were miserable

Spiderman

Veteran Member
When was the last time you were miserable? I'd have to say it was December 10th and the first few days of abstaining from mind altering chemicals.

Getting that first month of clean time is very rough imo.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
March 19 2018 was full of joy and possibly the best day of my life. What was the best day of your life? What caused it to be such a good day?

PureX

Veteran Member
Hang in there, it will get better. I remember being miserable for a long time in early recovery. Mostly, I think, it was because I had no idea how to be happy or have fun without being drunk. I had never learned because I started drinking when I was young. So I would see all these people in the world around me going about their lives and doing the things that they had learned to do to be 'happy, joyous and free' and I didn't know how. So I wasn't happy or joyous or free. I felt stupid and embarrassed and resentful. And without the alcohol I had nowhere to run to and hide, as I would have done in the past. I was just stuck, there, like a raw nerve on two legs. Exposed and confused.

It took me a long time, but I did eventually begin to try new things and to find that I enjoyed some of them. To make new sober friends to hang out with. To become less and less self-conscious and resentful.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Hang in there, it will get better. I remember being miserable for a long time in early recovery. Mostly, I think, it was because I had no idea how to be happy or have fun without being drunk. I had never learned because I started drinking when I was young. So I would see all these people in the world around me going about their lives and doing the things that they had learned to do to be 'happy, joyous and free' and I didn't know how. So I wasn't happy or joyous or free. I felt stupid and embarrassed and resentful. And without the alcohol I had nowhere to run to and hide, as I would have done in the past. I was just stuck, there, like a raw nerve on two legs.

It took me a long time, but I did eventually begin to try new things and to find that I enjoyed some of them. To make new sober friends to hang out with. To become less and less self-conscious and resentful.
I always appreciate your feedback. You have truly been to hell and back again. You conquered your deadly vice! That's truly a huge accomplishment, victory, and triumph that many alcoholics/addicts fail to experience or obtain.

PureX

Veteran Member
I always appreciate your feedback. You have truly been to hell and back again. You conquered your deadly vice! That's truly a huge accomplishment, victory, and triumph that many alcoholics/addicts fail to experience or obtain.
Thanks.

There's a whole new 'sober you' to be discovered. Maybe try and look at this as a sort of adventure. I know I was scared to death of everything at first. But I did it anyway. I even joined a video dating service (before the internet became popular). Broke-*** newly sober me (artist) out dating young urban professional women, HA! It was a trip.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
August 2009 to March 2010. I have no intention of recounting that period but i can say that i rarely have nightmares anymore.

Most of 2017, that was miserable too, hubby was diagnosed with prostate cancer, i thought i'd lost him Still a worry but so far the op was successful.

I suggest all men over 40 have yearly blood test for high PSA levels. Caught early there is a great success rate in curing it, leaving it too late is a killer.