• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The last post is the WINNER!

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I think that's only with the annual dog day cicadas. 13 years ago, it was almost unchanging buzzing noise, regardless of temperature, day or night, once they all got going. Right now, they're taking turns...

The ones we get not only get louder but higher frequently as it gets hotter.

I think the increase in volume is more to do with rapid birthrate than anything else.

Wirey

Fartist
Did you ever notice you heard stories about people going over Niagara Falls in a barrel when you were a kid, but no one ever seemed to think about trying it with a life jacket instead? Olden-day people were morons.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Did you ever notice you heard stories about people going over Niagara Falls in a barrel when you were a kid, but no one ever seemed to think about trying it with a life jacket instead? Olden-day people were morons.

Barrels are better for the environment.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Can anyone have more fun than a barrel of monkeys?

barrel_of_monkeys.jpg

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
To be honest, I never really could develop much of an appreciation for Chinese food. It's not that I haven't tried, but it's never been my first choice. I don't necessarily dislike it, but I guess I'm more of a meat and potatoes kind of guy.
Not trying to change your mind, but if you haven’t had Chinese food in a good Chinese restaurant in a good Chinatown, or in China, you have nit had Chinese food. Also by region, in China, the food can be very different. Example the south is big on rice, the north is not. A lot of bread in the north. Also a lit if beef, pork, chicken, and seafood dishes. Also some rather strange dishes i will mot touch and some i have that i will never try again. Also there are Chinese vegetables that i frankly cannot tell the difference between them and potatoes, and they are not potatoes

The majority of the Chinese food we get un America is Americanized Fujian food. And some of what you see in many Chinese restaurants in America do not even exist in. China

Wu Wei

Hey, I live in Ohio, not wherever you are (I think China? Beijing?). Though I did visit my son recently near Seoul, Korea. It was really weird leaving there but getting here around the same time. I could have sworn I was on a plane for about 15 hours.
I have always been amazed at how it takes 16 hours to get to China and only 3 hours to get back. I’m guessing only the pilots that fly from China know the shortcut

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Not trying to change your mind, but if you haven’t had Chinese food in a good Chinese restaurant in a good Chinatown, or in China, you have nit had Chinese food. Also by region, in China, the food can be very different. Example the south is big on rice, the north is not. A lot of bread in the north. Also a lit if beef, pork, chicken, and seafood dishes. Also some rather strange dishes i will mot touch and some i have that i will never try again. Also there are Chinese vegetables that i frankly cannot tell the difference between them and potatoes, and they are not potatoes

The majority of the Chinese food we get un America is Americanized Fujian food. And some of what you see in many Chinese restaurants in America do not even exist in. China
I became familiar with what we do to ethnic food here. It was obvious when I was in Italy, Japan and India.

But at one job we ate dim sum at the best place in Oakland. I also remember going to a restaurant and finding that the bok choy was served to Chinese people but cabbage was served to us.

Wu Wei

I became familiar with what we do to ethnic food here. It was obvious when I was in Italy, Japan and India.

But at one job we ate dim sum at the best place in Oakland. I also remember going to a restaurant and finding that the bok choy was served to Chinese people but cabbage was served to us.
What do you expect ya yángguǐzi (foreign devil)

Many of the Chinese restaurants that are frequented by large numbers of Chinese folk, you might see a chalk board on the wall with Chinese writing, this is the Chinese menu and has different food. However in many places it is that way because they do not expect westerners to like it so it is not on the regular menu

There use to be a sweet and sour pork on the menu that was the typical breaded pork. On the Chinese menu it was not breaded. I like the Chinese menu one better. Asked them why the difference. Answer, Americans expect it to be breaded.

As for bok choy vs cabbage. Could be the same thing, they had Americans complain before so they switched to cabbage for the folks from the west. They just sell more that way. Ir it could be something more insidious, but I doubt that. Understand Chinese businesses in the USA, especially restaurants, are all about one thing, making money.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

What are some of your favorites?

A local place has an American menu and a Chinese menu. Both in the same book.
What do you expect ya yángguǐzi (foreign devil)

Many of the Chinese restaurants that are frequented by large numbers of Chinese folk, you might see a chalk board on the wall with Chinese writing, this is the Chinese menu and has different food. However in many places it is that way because they do not expect westerners to like it so it is not on the regular menu

There use to be a sweet and sour pork on the menu that was the typical breaded pork. On the Chinese menu it was not breaded. I like the Chinese menu one better. Asked them why the difference. Answer, Americans expect it to be breaded.

As for bok choy vs cabbage. Could be the same thing, they had Americans complain before so they switched to cabbage for the folks from the west. They just sell more that way. Ir it could be something more insidious, but I doubt that. Understand Chinese businesses in the USA, especially restaurants, are all about one thing, making money.
I want to try something off the Chinese menu; the eggplant in a clay pot looked good. I hesitate because I'm not sure what's vegetarian, and what isn't.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Yes, I've heard that the Chinese food served in American restaurants is different from authentic Chinese food. We don't really have a Chinatown in Tucson, although there is a Chinese-American community and some restaurants. There's also Panda Express.

We also have Taco Bell. It seems they have Taco Bell in China, too. That would be rather surreal, to eat at Taco Bell in China.

Stonetree

Abducted Member
Premium Member
What are some of your favorites?

A local place has an American menu and a Chinese menu. Both in the same book.

I want to try something off the Chinese menu; the eggplant in a clay pot looked good. I hesitate because I'm not sure what's vegetarian, and what isn't.
Are cows, vegetarians?