• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Kindness Box

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Edutopia has some great articles too -

Are humans essentially good, or evil? It’s a question that has fascinated philosophers, artists, and playwright for centuries, and inspired some of our greatest creative works, from Othello to Guernica to Hamilton.

Increasingly, biologists and neuroscientists are wading into the debate, armed with sophisticated brain imaging equipment that provides a window into the tangled neural circuitry that offers clues to our best intentions—and our worst.

At the Center for Healthy Minds at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, Richard Davidson and his team are working on several dozen projects at the intersection of neuroscience, education, and human development. After decades of studying and following research, Davidson reveals the good news: From their earliest years, children are prosocial, hardwired for kindness and altruism. He recently released a free Kindness Curriculum for pre-K and kindergarten students.

We caught up with Davidson a few months after the publication of his new book, Altered States: Science Reveals How Meditation Changes Your Mind, Brain, and Body, written with the author of Emotional Intelligence, Daniel Goleman. We asked for Davidson’s thoughts on essential human kindness and how to leverage brain development to nurture this kindness in young people.

Here is the full piece -

Nurturing Kindness in Young Children | Edutopia

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Stories about kindness -

My wife and I were at the bookstore the other day and we were helped by a young woman in finding a book, and something about this woman just told me she needed to get tagged! So my wife wrote a beautiful note addressed "To the woman in the light green sweater and curly, brown hair" with a quote that said "Sometimes our joy is the reason for our smile, and sometimes our smile is the reason for our joy," along with a small box of Godiva chocolates ... We gave it to another employee who read the whole thing and left it for her to come back to. Now they say that in giving we receive, and maybe it was a coincidence, but minutes later, I ran into one of my best friends from high school, who I hadn't seen for about a decade!

The Karma of Kindness | KindSpring.org

Also the menus at top of page and right hand margin ...

Enjoy!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
The-highest-form-of-wisdom.jpg

Came from a google search of images about kindness - heaps more ...

:)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
From the greater good site -

When we’re rushed, we often tune out what’s happening around us. You need only think of the famous study in which divinity students who were trying not to be late to their next class passed right by someone in clear distress—despite just having practiced a talk on the Good Samaritan parable from the Bible! They just didn’t see that person.

To be kind, we need to learn to stop, pay attention, and practice empathy for others. Mindfulness meditation is one way to foster these skills.

https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/how_to_start_a_kindness_revolution

Enjoy!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
smile.png

There are two types of teachers in this world: those who believe in the value of teaching wellbeing and those who don’t. That’s according to Adrian Bethune, a primary teacher from London, who became aware of the dichotomy following a recent interaction with another teacher on Twitter.

From this site -

Four ways you can teach happiness | Tes News

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Why We Need More Kindness

Today, judging others seems to be an activity practiced by too many people. It’s all too easy to post comments about other people, whether they’re celebrities or ordinary, everyday citizens. Unkindness isn't new; we've been doing it since ancient times. But today the ease, speed, and anonymity with which people can pass judgments on others are unprecedented. Kids who are at the forefront of tech and social networking are learning from what they see around them.

Children also tend not to be able to see the big picture. Because young children usually focus on the now and don’t think too far ahead, they may not realize the full effects of what behaviors like meanness, exclusion, or bullying can have on other kids. And kids are naturally self-centered, which means that they aren’t always able to put themselves in someone else’s shoes or make a conscious effort to think about how someone else might feel.

For more tips -

Ways You Can Teach Your Kids Kindness and Why You Should

:)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Another site I found recently -

Show Yourself Compassion.

In the book, How to Be Your Own Best Friend by Mildred Newman and Bernard Berkowitz, the authors recommend that you befriend yourself by showing yourself compassion. The best way to feel compassion for yourself is to imagine that someone you love is feeling hurt. Look at the following:

• What would you say to them?
  • How would you treat them?
  • How would you reassure them?
  • How would you make them feel cared for and loved?
Now, do that for yourself — show yourself compassion.

17 Ways to Be Kind to Yourself

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Recently, the non-profit daily ideas exchange known as Zocalo Public Square had an online debate about whether kindness can be taught, as part of a more general public conversation about altruism. I was fortunate to participate along with author Kathy Beland, who wrote School-Connect: Optimizing the High School Experience, a social emotional learning curriculum.

You can look at the entire conversation, but I wanted to give you a brief taste here to spark your local conversations about this fascinating question.

Can Kindness Be Taught? | Edutopia