• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Kindness Box

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Among the goals at CaringBridge is to close the gap between those who need help but hesitate to ask, and those who wish to help, but don’t know what’s helpful.

:)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
The evidence is quite clear that giving makes us happier. In our resource we have found that for longer term happiness, it is better to give than to receive.
Of course that’s also correlated with creating connection, because kind actions involve others and you do create a connection when you help someone. And the research is also clear that strong relationships and connections with others is also highly correlated with happiness.
In my opinion, connection to others is what makes life worth living.”
-Sonja Lyubomirsky

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Today, judging others seems to be an activity practiced by far too many people. It’s all too easy to post comments about other people, whether they’re celebrities or ordinary, everyday citizens. Unkindness isn't new; humans have been cruel to each other for thousands of years. But today the ease, speed, and anonymity with which people can pass judgments and criticism onto others is unprecedented. Kids who are at the forefront of tech and social networking are learning from what they see around them.

Children also tend not to be able to see the bigger picture. Because young children usually focus on what's right in front of them and tend to not think too far ahead, they may not realize the full effects of what behaviors like meanness, exclusion, or bullying can have on other kids. And kids are naturally self-centered, which means that they aren’t always able to put themselves in someone else’s shoes or make a conscious effort to think about how someone else might feel. That does not mean, however, that kids are naturally unkind.

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
2012-08-21-082112_kindness2-thumb.jpg

More doodles etc at this site -

Enjoy your browsing!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Do you have someone in your life who’s always smiling, never fails to remember your birthday, and is consistently there for you whenever you need them? They have the biggest heart but never expect anything in return.

Simply put, this type of person is undeniably kind. It turns out that there are some other characteristics of kind people that are quite easy to recognize. This is important because the world is always in need of more kindness. It’s not always easy to choose kindness, so experiencing goodness from other people can touch us in ways we would never expect.

Kind people are all around us if we look in the right places. Whether you want to spot genuine kindness or be the one to spread it around, keep reading to learn more!

That is one huge site!

:)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
How to Be Kind to Difficult People

We have so many concepts about others, and sometimes even before we know that person, we’ve already given them this label: “Difficult.” It’s like a big tag they’re wearing whenever we see them. So I think what’s obstructing us from dealing with them is our prejudgments and preconceptions about who they are. We have so many thoughts about them even before we get to know them. In a sense, this may make you less able to deal with a “difficult” person. And actually, if you take a closer look, it may turn out that the difficult person is you.

Whenever we have a biased view, there’s a big problem, right? When we look at someone with a negative view, a negative bias, then we only see this huge, negative quality of this person––nothing positive. When we’re having a difficult time in our relationship with a partner, for example, we begin to see only the negative side. “His desk is always a mess,” “She’s always late,” and things like that. But in reality, that person has both negative and positive qualities. We magnify one side of that person or another at different times. When we’re first falling in love with someone, we only see the positive. We don’t see anything negative about them at all. Isn’t that nice?

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Being kind to yourself and those around you might feel challenging. This difficulty may stem from personality traits, fears about what others think of you, low self-esteem, or challenging circumstances. If you want to be kinder, you might try making eye contact, smiling, using your conversation partner's name, and being an active listener during interactions.

Other methods of embracing kindness include focusing on self-care, journaling regularly, reading self-help books, partaking in random acts of kindness, offering sincere apologies, and giving whenever possible. Taking care of your mental health with a licensed professional may also be valuable.

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Help end homelessness

The most effective way to end homelessness is to build more public housing.

Just like public health and education, governments have a responsibility to provide public homes for those who need it. Because everyone, no matter their bank balance, should have a safe and secure place to call home.

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
For Christians, Bible verses about God’s love are a solemn refuge in times of trouble. But God’s love is intertwined with another kind of love: that of loving and serving others. Indeed, if we summarize the contents of the Bible, it all boils down to love – for God and others. One cannot exist without the other. But for this post, we’ll focus on the latter.

When we hear love, we tend to think about the romantic kind. But love, especially love for others, comes in varying forms. It shows how we care for our children, respect our parents, and look out for neighbors and strangers. It’s why charity exists and why some people are willing to devote their lives to the service of others. If you think about it, love is essentially the thread that holds our society together.

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
In his book "Returning to Silence," Katagiri Roshi said, "Kind speech is not the usual sense of kindness. It can appear in various ways, but ...we should remember that it must constantly be based on compassion... Under all circumstances that compassion is always giving somebody support or help or a chance to grow."

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Did you know that there are four types of giving as written in the Bible? You must know all of these. If you understand the differences of each, then you will see how these acts can reward you in life.

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
"The more you lose yourself in something bigger than yourself, the more energy you will have."

Norman Vincent Peale

Related qualities: love, compassion, friendliness, service, generosity, sacrifice, selflessness, cooperation, nonviolence, consideration, tact, sensitivity.

Kindness says: “I feel others as myself, and take pleasure in doing good for them, in giving and serving. I wish everyone well. The well-being of others is my well-being.”

Kindness and related virtues (love, compassion, consideration) is the core “social virtue”. It invites us to expand our sense of well-being to include others as well. It gives us the ability to put ourselves in another person’s shoes, and feel what they feel as if it is happening to us, and if appropriate do something about it. The result is the experience of the “helper’s high”, a mix of dopamine and oxytocin.

At it’s most basic level, this virtue tell us to do unto others as you would have them do unto you. At the deepest level, it says “We are all one”.

Examples: Offering a word of encouragement or advice. Listening without judgment. Helping someone in need, directly or indirectly. Teaching. Assuming the best in others. Volunteering. Doing something for someone who can never repay you.

Read the full article at this huge site - mainly about meditation ...

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Kindness is My Religion

Choosing kindness as your guiding principle cultivates a harvest of blessings. Your own spirit flourishes under the sun of selflessness, finding joy in uplifting others. The ripple effect of your actions creates a kinder world, where compassion becomes contagious and bridges form between differences. Deeper connections weave through your life, enriching it with genuine friendships and a profound sense of belonging. Every act of kindness, no matter how small, contributes to a symphony of harmony, making your own inner peace reverberate outward. Remember, kindness isn’t just a philosophy, it’s a revolution – one smile, one helping hand at a time.

Enjoy!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Also at that site -

There is great significance in the story of the Good Samaritan. We are commanded to love our neighbors as ourselves. In the time Jesus told his story, religious leaders were so wrapped up in "The Law" that they had set aside their compassion for others. Jesus reminded us that compassion and mercy are valuable traits. Samaritans at the time were not liked, and often mistreated, by Jews. The Good Samaritan showed a great deal of kindness for the Jew by being willing to put revenge or contempt aside to help a hurting man. We live in a world that has a hard time setting aside grudges or past hurts to help another person.

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
“I can get my head turned by a good-looking guy as much as the next girl. But sexy doesn't impress me. Smart impresses me, strength of character impresses me. But most of all, I am impressed by kindness. Kindness, I think, comes from learning hard lessons well, from falling and picking yourself up. It comes from surviving failure and loss. It implies an understanding of the human condition, forgives its many flaws and quirks. When I see that in someone, it fills me with admiration.”

Lisa Unger, Beautiful Lies