• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Kindness Box

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
On August 18th 2011, in response to the UK riots and after a chance encounter in a post office, Bernadette Russell embarked on a reckless mission to be kind to a stranger every single day for a year. This show, part stand up, part storytelling, charts this amazing year, which began with burning buildings, and ended with the flame of the Olympic torch. It attempts to answer the question: “is it possible to change the world just by being kind?”

You might laugh. You may cry. You could win one million pounds (really).

‘A thought-provoking, hilarious and disarmingly honest show’ – **** Daily Express

Bernadette is a storyteller and author of non-fiction for adults and children. She has created work for the Royal Albert Hall and National Theatre amongst many others.

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
80 Good Deeds Quotes to Inspire You to Help Someone Today

Doing good deeds is obviously good for other people and the world around you.

However, did you know that doing something kind for others can actually help you too?

Undeniably, doing something good for someone else helps you to recognize the plight of others by taking the focus off of the negative things going on in your life and providing some perspective.

Ultimately, getting a little removed from your own bubble can help you increase your level of gratitude for all the positive things in your world.

Keep reading through these good deeds quotes to inspire you to do one thing that brings someone else joy today!

Enjoy!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Kindheartedness is what we treasure most in family, friends, classmates, colleagues, adversaries, and strangers. A kind heart, a loving heart, a soft heart would rather do anything than hurt another's feelings. A person who is kind is gentle, considerate, and inclined to benevolent actions. A kindhearted person is also nice.

Michael Goddart

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
The world can be harsh and negative, but if we remain generous and patient,
kindness inevitably reveals itself. Something deep in the human soul seems
to depend on the presence of kindness; something instinctive in us expects it,
and once we sense it we are able to trust and open ourselves.

John O'Donohue

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Kindness is about "seeing with your heart," explains Angela C. Santomero, author of Radical Kindness: The Life-Changing Power of Giving and Receiving and co-creator of Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood. For our littlest kids, this might mean patting the back of a worried friend, waving to an elderly neighbor, or breaking a cookie in half to share with a younger brother. For older kids, kindness might be inviting a lonely classmate to join their lunch table, comforting someone who's sad or scared, or donating some of their allowance to a cause they care about.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
The Art of Helping Others

Give up any expectations.

Give to give. Give simply because it feels good to you.

Don’t set up expectations of how others should react to your actions. You can’t control them. They aren’t you and they won’t respond the way you would respond. Let it go.

Take the time to more fully understand the person or people you’re serving.

Ask them what they want. Ask them how you can help. Don’t judge. Give them what they want in the way they want it, without expectations.

Read the rest of this long article -

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Help kids develop kindness

This being the first to arouse my curiosity -

“Can you believe what she’s wearing?” “Don’t you think he’s fat?” “Why would anyone want to be friends with her?” “He’s ugly.”

Comments like these—or worse—are not uncommon among children, or even with adults. We now live in an age where photos and posts online can garner nearly instant and anonymous comments from total strangers and acquaintances alike. These reactions can be rude, hurtful, and even malicious. It is more important than ever that parents teach children to be kind to others.

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
“By speaking of ourselves in a positive and affirmative fashion and finding ways to eradicate self-hate, by speaking kindly about ourselves and those around us, we can foster a sense of love and compassion.”

Jessamyn Stanley

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
“We should be inspired by people who show that human beings can be kind, brave, generous, beautiful, strong - even in the most difficult circumstances.”

Rachel Corrie

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
From that same site -

Our connection to the wonders of nature is part of who we are, and yet that connection often feels like an uneasy one. While we lived mostly indoors during global COVID-19 lockdowns, many of us realized how much we treasure the awe-kindling beauty of the natural world, whether in our own garden or deep in the forest. We are not separate from nature, as Sebene Selassie says—we are one with it.

Yet, at the same time, these feelings of awe and connection may be tinged with more than a little fear and grief. With record-breaking storms, floods, and heatwaves, not only is this beautiful planet earth sending out an SOS, but humans and other living beings are suffering too. If your heart has been aching for all these impacts of climate change, you’re not alone.

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
tinybuddha.com kindness

Why does kindness matter so much? Because kindness is the only real way to change the world for the better. For example, I can give you $20, and you can use that to buy one meal. Certainly, that is a nice gesture.

But what if I encourage you? What if I take the time to specifically identify your gifts and talents? What if I explain to you that you have the ability to do great things with your life? Then my kindness potentially has changed your life.

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Positive Psychology kindness

Leads us here -

I’m a devotee of kindness. It is one of the twelve happiness habits I write about in The Little Book of Happiness and I see it as the superlative practice that can make a difference in someone’s life and add to the tonnage of happiness on the planet. It is, in essence, about being nice to others and doing good deeds without expectation of personal gain. Add a splash of empathy, compassion, generosity, care, altruism and love and you have some of the many faces of kindness. In positive psychology kindness is considered a strength, one of the top five in existence and belongs to the virtue of humanity. This is a group of interpersonal strengths which involve tending to others and also includes social intelligence and love.

In the wake of the pandemic, BBC Radio 4 and the University of Sussex embarked on the largest global survey ever undertaken into attitudes to kindness. The results of The Kindness Test are discussed in Claudia Hammond’s latest book The Keys to Kindness, which she’ll be discussing with me at the Bath Festival. One of Claudia’s strengths is to take the science and communicate it in a digestible form and here she has kindly synthesized the findings into seven keys.

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
To see what else she may have written -

Sonja Lyubomirsky kindness

For example -

Model it. When being helpful to others, talk about why you’re doing it. Try to include the cue for the behavior and what outcome you anticipate: “I noticed that you all seem a little down today because it is Monday, so I decided to give the class an extra five minutes of free time to talk to the people around you. I hope that this can help you feel a little more awake and excited to work.” Point out things you notice about others, and brainstorm together about things that you can do. “I notice that Grandma is unhappy when her house is messy. What do you think I could do to help?”

Celebrate it. When you notice kind behavior, try to make clear why it’s so generous. “I saw that you gave your seat up on the bus for the older gentleman. That was very thoughtful of you to choose to stand so that he could sit. I am sure that you helped give him a rest.” Work with the young people in your life to become “kindness detectives” who are constantly alert to others’ needs or wants.

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I went a little overboard well after mid-night and wide-awake ... epic session on the computer -

Culture of empathy experts

Culture of empathy quotations

One huge site!

Daniel Goleman kindness

Emotional intelligence kindness

6seconds.org kindness

87 ways to be kind and loving

Gail Honeyman kindness - a book?

How kindness can transform a life

powerofpositivity.com kindness

How to build a culture of kindness

livinglifefully.com kindness - 4 full pages worth!

Enjoy your exploring!

:)