• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

THE JEHOVAH'S WITNESS "TRANSLATION TEAM" MEMBERS AND THEIR CREATION OF A BIBLE FOR THEIR MOVEMENT

Clear

Premium Member
I had created a thread in the Jehovahs Witness DIR regarding the “translation team” that created “The New World Translation”, the text they use as a Bible. I attempted to gain information specifically about the four men who were, historically, the “translation team” for this text, their level of qualifications and the process that would have allowed them to create a bible. I am not getting much specific relevant information in that thread and so would like to try to gain information in a larger thread having a greater chance of having individuals who have information concerning this team and their qualifications and the process by which they created the “New World Translation” of a bible.

1) WHAT WAS THE TRAINING AND KNOWLEDGE LEVEL OF THE INDIVIDUALS WHO “MADE” THE JEHOVAH’S WITNESS BIBLE

The historical description of Frederick Franz, the most educated in ancient language, is that he had little knowledge; understanding, experience, and ability at making any Biblical translation. Yet, he was, apparently, the “best of the group” in language. Please, if anyone has any additional information that changes this scholastic description, please to add any information you have regarding Frederick Franz’ language training that I might have missed.

Raymond Franz (another board member) said Frederick had no formal education in Hebrew at all. Again, if any reader knows of any formal education ANY board member had in ancient language that I might have missed in my historical search, plese let me know if you are aware of any other formal training he had. Biographies of Franz tell us that he had a single introductory college course in koine (biblical) Greek though he had some education in lower level classical (non biblical) greek at the U of Cincinnati during his two years of college.

I have, so far, only a small amount of information on the other four individuals who were on this “translation committee”. Raymond Franz described the other members (Knorr, Schroder, and Gangas) as not having “sufficient knowledge of the Bible languages to attempt translation of this kind”.

2) THE SOURCE TEXTS CLAIMED FOR THE NEW WORLD TRANSLATION

A Jehovahs Witness forum member Pegg tells us : “ As a basis for translating the Hebrew Scriptures, the text of Rudolf Kittel’s Biblia Hebraica, editions of 1951-1955, was used. The 1984 revision of the New World Translation benefited from updating in harmony with the Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia of 1977. Additionally, the Dead Sea Scrolls and numerous early translations into other languages were consulted. For the Christian Greek Scriptures, the master Greek text of 1881 as prepared by Westcott and Hort was used primarily, but several other master texts were consulted as well as numerous early versions in other languages. “

The difficulty I have with this description is that all of these texts are in ancient languages and require translation into english which, these men would not have been able to do. Biblia Hebraica is in Hebrew, as is Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia; as are the Dead Sea scrolls. The “master Greek text” of W&H is, obviously, in Greek. It also says they “consulted” other version in other languages which, presumably, none of them were remotely fluent in so as to allow them to “translate”.

3) HOW DOES A “TRANSLATION COMMITTEE” THAT CANNOT READ ANCIENT BIBLICAL LANGUAGES WELL, USE ANCIENT TEXTS IN ANCIENT LANGUAGE TO CREATE A BIBLE IN ENGLISH?

IF, these men with only rudimentary ancient language skill “consulted” multiple Hebrew and Koine Greek texts (especially the ones in non-pointed and non-national Hebrew – that is very, very difficult stuff, even for the experts) then how did these individuals use such texts, having no way to even read them accurately, much less use them intelligently so as to make any translation from texts they could not read?

4) CONSIDER A “TRANSLATION COMMITTEE” OF THE NESTLE-ALAND NEW TESTAMENT

One can identify and describe the committees creating many of our modern bibles (Doug Moo and the NIV team, NA team, etc), One can pick out and describe the team members who translated the Dead Sea Scrolls (Cross, etc). All of these texts were given to individual who were both educated and able to create translations which were credible and fairly reliable (given the task and challenge of early texts).

For example, Consider the Nestle-Aland committee members compared to the members of the Jehovah’s Witness translation committee members :

Barbara Aland, of the Nestly-Aland translation team, has a doctorate of literature; a doctorate of divinity; a doctor of theology in Germany, and has received multiple awards in america; Germany, Netherlands, etc.. Her list of monographs and her depth of linguistic discovery is fairly impressive. She participated in the creation of at least 4 editions of the new testament from greek.

Kurt Aland of the Nestly-Aland translation team had a bachelor’s degree in 1940 in Germany. By 1959, he was a University professor and has honorary doctorates bestowed on him from three different countries, Germany at the U of Gottingen, St. Andrew in Scottland, and Wartburg in the United states. He’s received multiple awards over 30 years from the patriarchate of Alexandra, from the british academy, from Germany, a life member of the American bible society (and he is not even American). His critical text GN4 is THE translators critical text that is most widely known and used by translators the world over.

Johannes Karavidopoulos of the Nestly-Aland translation team is an editor in the most commonly used critical edition of the translators tool GN4 (4th ed Greek New Testament), he is an Orthodox scholar and emeritus professor of New Testament at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.

Carlo M. Martini of the Nestly-Aland translation team, was an Italian Jesuit, archbishop of Milan, and cardinal of the Catholic Church. He had a doctorate in fundamental theology and another doctorate on top of that in scripture and his PhD thesis was on ancient Lukan codices. He was the only Catholic member of the committee that published the Novum Testamentum Graece. Dr. Martini had a great deal of knowledge, skill and experience in dealing with ancient texts and ancient languages.

Bruce M. Metzger , of the Nestly-Aland translation team, obtained his first university degree in theology from Princeton and, by 1938 was already teaching new testament greek at Princeton where he earned an MA in 1940. His PhD from Princeton was supported by a thesis on a greek gospel lectionary. He was president of the society of biblical literature. He’s received honors from the British Academy and has honorary doctorates from Levanon Valley College, Findlay College, the University of St. Andrews in Scotland, the University of Munster in Germany and from Potchefstroom University (North-West University). He is considered one of the most influential New Testament scholars of the twentieth century.

Anyone can examine the qualifications of each of these members on this team and what they brought to the task of translation from ancient languages. The same can be done for Doug Moo and the NIV translational team, or the DSS translators, etc.

5) COMPARE THE JEHOVAHS WITNESS TEAM TO ANY STANDARD TEAM OF TRANSLATORS

Frederick Franz who was the main translator of the New World Translation did not even graduate college and had only a single, introductory college class in biblical Greek.

If Nathan Knorr, a member of the Jehovahs Witness translation committee had even less language knowledge and skill than Frederick Franz, what was his purpose and what did he do?

If albert Schroder, a member of the Jehovahs Witness translation committee
also had even less language knowledge and skill than Frederick Franz, what was his purpose and what did he do?
What did the members of the Jehovah Witness “Translation Team” bring to their task of translation from ancient languages if none of them could fluently read any ancient language?

If George Gangas was also a member of the Jehovahs Witness translation committee had even less language knowledge and skill than Frederick Franz, what was his purpose and what did he do?

6) IF THE JEHOVAHS WITNESS TEAM COULD NOT TRANSLATE FROM ANCIENT LANGUAGES, THEN WHAT DOES IT MEAN THAT THEY "CONSULTED" VERSIONS THAT EXIST IN ANCIENT LANGUAGES?

Why would the “New World Translation” even offer a list of bibles in ancient languages that were “consulted” if none of the members on the team could even read them fluently so as to make use of such texts? It makes no sense to say they either "consulted" or "used" such texts when no one on the team had the knowledge to read them fluently? Is it a fascade for scholasticism, an attempt to appear credible?

What linguistic skills did the Jehovahs Witness team have that allows them to claim they used ANY ancient language text if none of them were fluent in any ancient language the bibles were written in?

Clear

Last edited:

kjw47

I had created a thread in the Jehovahs Witness DIR regarding the “translation team” that created “The New World Translation”, the text they use as a Bible. I attempted to gain information specifically about the four men who were, historically, the “translation team” for this text, their level of qualifications and the process that would have allowed them to create a bible. I am not getting much specific relevant information in that thread and so would like to try to gain information in a larger thread having a greater chance of having individuals who have information concerning this team and their qualifications and the process by which they created the “New World Translation” of a bible.

WHAT WAS THE TRAINING AND KNOWLEDGE LEVEL OF THE INDIVIDUALS WHO “MADE” THE JEHOVAH’S WITNESS BIBLE

The historical description of Frederick Franz, the most educated in ancient language, is that he had little knowledge; understanding, experience, and ability at making any Biblical translation. Yet, he was, apparently, the “best of the group” in language. Please, if anyone has any additional information that changes this scholastic description, please to add any information you have regarding Frederick Franz’ language training that I might have missed.

Raymond Franz (another board member) said Frederick had no formal education in Hebrew at all. Again, if any reader knows of any formal education ANY board member had in ancient language that I might have missed in my historical search, plese let me know if you are aware of any other formal training he had. Biographies of Franz tell us that he had a single introductory college course in koine (biblical) Greek though he had some education in lower level classical (non biblical) greek at the U of Cincinnati during his two years of college.

I have, so far, only a small amount of information on the other four individuals who were on this “translation committee”. Raymond Franz described the other members (Knorr, Schroder, and Gangas) as not having “sufficient knowledge of the Bible languages to attempt translation of this kind”.

THE SOURCE TEXTS CLAIMED FOR THE NEW WORLD TRANSLATION

A Jehovahs Witness forum member Pegg tells us : “ As a basis for translating the Hebrew Scriptures, the text of Rudolf Kittel’s Biblia Hebraica, editions of 1951-1955, was used. The 1984 revision of the New World Translation benefited from updating in harmony with the Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia of 1977. Additionally, the Dead Sea Scrolls and numerous early translations into other languages were consulted. For the Christian Greek Scriptures, the master Greek text of 1881 as prepared by Westcott and Hort was used primarily, but several other master texts were consulted as well as numerous early versions in other languages. “

The difficulty I have with this description is that all of these texts are in ancient languages and require translation into english which, these men would not have been able to do. Biblia Hebraica is in Hebrew, as is Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia; as are the Dead Sea scrolls. The “master Greek text” of W&H is, obviously, in Greek. It also says they “consulted” other version in other languages which, presumably, none of them were remotely fluent in so as to allow them to “translate”.

HOW DOES A “TRANSLATION COMMITTEE” THAT CANNOT READ ANCIENT BIBLICAL LANGUAGES WELL, USE ANCIENT TEXTS IN ANCIENT LANGUAGE TO CREATE A BIBLE IN ENGLISH?

IF, these men with only rudimentary ancient language skill “consulted” multiple Hebrew and Koine Greek texts (especially the ones in non-pointed and non-national Hebrew – that is very, very difficult stuff, even for the experts) then how did these individuals use such texts, having no way to even read them accurately, much less use them intelligently so as to make any translation from texts they could not read?

CONSIDER A “TRANSLATION COMMITTEE” OF THE NESTLE-ALAND NEW TESTAMENT

One can identify and describe the committees creating many of our modern bibles (Doug Moo and the NIV team, NA team, etc), One can pick out and describe the team members who translated the Dead Sea Scrolls (Cross, etc). All of these texts were given to individual who were both educated and able to create translations which were credible and fairly reliable (given the task and challenge of early texts).

For example, Consider the Nestle-Aland committee members compared to the members of the Jehovah’s Witness translation committee members :

Barbara Aland, of the Nestly-Aland translation team, has a doctorate of literature; a doctorate of divinity; a doctor of theology in Germany, and has received multiple awards in america; Germany, Netherlands, etc.. Her list of monographs and her depth of linguistic discovery is fairly impressive. She participated in the creation of at least 4 editions of the new testament from greek.

Frederick Franz who was the main translator of the New World Translation did not even graduate college and had only a single, introductory college class in biblical Greek.

Kurt Aland of the Nestly-Aland translation team had a bachelor’s degree in 1940 in Germany. By 1959, he was a University professor and has honorary doctorates bestowed on him from three different countries, Germany at the U of Gottingen, St. Andrew in Scottland, and Wartburg in the United states. He’s received multiple awards over 30 years from the patriarchate of Alexandra, from the british academy, from Germany, a life member of the American bible society (and he is not even American). His critical text GN4 is THE translators critical text that is most widely known and used by translators the world over.

If Nathan Knorr, a member of the Jehovahs Witness translation committee had even less language knowledge and skill than Frederick Franz, what was his purpose and what did he do?

Johannes Karavidopoulos of the Nestly-Aland translation team is an editor in the most commonly used critical edition of the translators tool GN4 (4th ed Greek New Testament), he is an Orthodox scholar and emeritus professor of New Testament at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.

If albert Schroder, a member of the Jehovahs Witness translation committee also had even less language knowledge and skill than Frederick Franz, what was his purpose and what did he do?

Carlo M. Martini of the Nestly-Aland translation team, was an Italian Jesuit, archbishop of Milan, and cardinal of the Catholic Church. He had a doctorate in fundamental theology and another doctorate on top of that in scripture and his PhD thesis was on ancient Lukan codices. He was the only Catholic member of the committee that published the Novum Testamentum Graece.

Dr. Martini had a great deal of knowledge, skill and experience in dealing with ancient texts and ancient languages.

If George Gangas was also a member of the Jehovahs Witness translation committee had even less language knowledge and skill than Frederick Franz, what was his purpose and what did he do?

Bruce M. Metzger , of the Nestly-Aland translation team, obtained his first university degree in theology from Princeton and, by 1938 was already teaching new testament greek at Princeton where he earned an MA in 1940. His PhD from Princeton was supported by a thesis on a greek gospel lectionary. He was president of the society of biblical literature. He’s received honors from the British Academy and has honorary doctorates from Levanon Valley College, Findlay College, the University of St. Andrews in Scotland, the University of Munster in Germany and from Potchefstroom University (North-West University). He is considered one of the most influential New Testament scholars of the twentieth century.

Anyone can examine the qualifications of each of these members on this team and what they brought to the task of translation from ancient languages.

What did the members of the Jehovah Witness “Translation Team” bring to their task of translation from ancient languages if none of them could fluently read any ancient language?

Why would the “New World Translation” even offer a list of bibles in ancient languages that were “consulted” if none of the members on the team could even read them fluently so as to make use of such texts? It makes no sense to say they either "consulted" or "used" such texts when no one on the team had the knowledge to read them fluently? Is it a fascade for scholasticism, an attempt to appear credible?

What linguistic skills did the Jehovahs Witness team have that allows them to claim they used ANY ancient language text if none of them were fluent in any ancient language the bibles were written in?

Clear

Without corrections being made to the errors that infiltrated the previous 17 centuries-- how could this be possible here in these last days( Daniel 12:4)

This occurred--- Jesus real teachers came back and made corrections to errors, without the corrections truth would have been impossible--then this important reality would be impossible as well--John 4:22-24--but The JW teachers have made made many corrections and shared true light to the world.
I searched through many religions claiming to be Christian--The JW teachers are the only ones I ever found who teach--Jesus-- Truths.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Without corrections being made to the errors that infiltrated the previous 17 centuries-- how could this be possible here in these last days( Daniel 12:4)

This occurred--- Jesus real teachers came back and made corrections to errors, without the corrections truth would have been impossible--then this important reality would be impossible as well--John 4:22-24--but The JW teachers have made made many corrections and shared true light to the world.
I searched through many religions claiming to be Christian--The JW teachers are the only ones I ever found who teach--Jesus-- Truths.
How is it determined these "errors" you claim?
How is it determined the correction?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I have been studying the different versions of the Bible along with the scholarly definitions of the Greek and the Hebrew words. I have discovered that there is not much difference between all versions of the Bible and that the NWT for the most part is but a copy of all the others. I see one major plagiarism in all of them since the KJV.

The changes the Watchtower made are few for setting the Jehovah's Witnesses apart from the rest of Christianity. The rest is a copy of what I see are many mistakes.

Clear

Premium Member
I asked about the translation team and their qualifications and how the New World translation can have any relationship to early texts in ancient languages when none of the member of that “translation team” was fluent enough in the ancient languages to even use the ancient texts.

KJW47 answered with : “ Without corrections being made to the errors that infiltrated the previous 17 centuries-- how could this be possible here in these last days( Daniel 12:4) This occurred--- Jesus real teachers came back and made corrections to errors, without the corrections truth would have been impossible--then this important reality would be impossible as well--John 4:22-24--but The JW teachers have made made many corrections and shared true light to the world. I searched through many religions claiming to be Christian--The JW teachers are the only ones I ever found who teach--Jesus-- Truths. “

Thank you KJW47 for your response. The problem is, the response is so irrelevant to my question in the OP.

The reason I had to leave the Jehovahs’ Witness DIR and enter a different DIR with this question is that I could not get specific and relevant answers the the actual questions I asked in that DIR. I cannot tell if this tendency to receive irrelevant answers to specific questions comes from the discomfort of being asked a very uncomfortable question or a desire to detour from an uncomfortable subject to a more comfortable subject. Is there anyone in this DIR that can tell how a "translation team" who was not fluent enough to translate ancient languages is credible enough to claim they "consulted" ancient texts in creating a bible to serve their religious movement?

Clear
φισεω

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
They had no quallifications and everyone but the JWs knows it. The JWs believe being guided by the Holy Spirit is all that matters. They believe the men who published the NWT which wasn't a translated version but a copy are the faithful and discreet slave who do Jesus' bidding.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
They had no quallifications and everyone but the JWs knows it. The JWs believe being guided by the Holy Spirit is all that matters. They believe the men who published the NWT which wasn't a translated version but a copy are the faithful and discreet slave who do Jesus' bidding.
I agree with this, but the conditioning is done and it will be hard to change it.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I agree with this, but the conditioning is done and it will be hard to change it.
and yet strangely enough, our teachings were established while based on the KJV bible which we used right up until the NWT was produced.

Conditioning? What conditioning???

psychoslice

Veteran Member
and yet strangely enough, our teachings were established while based on the KJV bible which we used right up until the NWT was produced.

Conditioning? What conditioning???
Yes and then you changed it, just to suit yourself, such as, " and the word was a god", wake up and see what has happened, don't be conditioned by your church, you have a brain of your own.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Yes and then you changed it, just to suit yourself, such as, " and the word was a god", wake up and see what has happened, don't be conditioned by your church, you have a brain of your own.

Not that you are interested, but that rendering of John 1:1 was used by many other translators and long before us.

And even when using the KJV, we still knew that Jesus was not The God...which is how John 1 differentiates between Jesus and God.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Not that you are interested, but that rendering of John 1:1 was used by many other translators and long before us.

And even when using the KJV, we still knew that Jesus was not The God...which is how John 1 differentiates between Jesus and God.
So you all knew, how is that ?.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
JEHOVAH'S WITNESS, or anyone else must realize that their translation of whatever is only theirs, we must stop this arrogance believing we know it all, its ugly an needs to be got rid of.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
So you all knew, how is that ?.

probably because of the many scriptures which say that Jesus is the Son of God. You cant be someone's son and your own father at the same time, can you?

Are you a son? If you are, then it means you have a father who is not you.

Its just simple logic.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
probably because of the many scriptures which say that Jesus is the Son of God. You cant be someone's son and your own father at the same time, can you?

Are you a son? If you are, then it means you have a father who is not you.

Its just simple logic.
But spiritually, we are all one in god, there isn't a second.......the father, the holy sprit, and the son is One in God, you don't have to understand it, its beyond understanding.

kjw47

I asked about the translation team and their qualifications and how the New World translation can have any relationship to early texts in ancient languages when none of the member of that “translation team” was fluent enough in the ancient languages to even use the ancient texts.

KJW47 answered with : “ Without corrections being made to the errors that infiltrated the previous 17 centuries-- how could this be possible here in these last days( Daniel 12:4) This occurred--- Jesus real teachers came back and made corrections to errors, without the corrections truth would have been impossible--then this important reality would be impossible as well--John 4:22-24--but The JW teachers have made made many corrections and shared true light to the world. I searched through many religions claiming to be Christian--The JW teachers are the only ones I ever found who teach--Jesus-- Truths. “

Thank you KJW47 for your response. The problem is, the response is so irrelevant to my question in the OP.

The reason I left the Jehovahs’ Witness DIR with this question is that I could not get specific and relevant answers the the actual questions I asked in that DIR. I cannot tell if this tendency to receive irrelevant answers to specific questions comes from the discomfort of being asked a very uncomfortable question or a desire to detour from an uncomfortable subject to a more comfortable subject. Is there anyone in this DIR that can tell how a "translation team" who was not fluent enough to translate ancient languages is credible enough to claim they "consulted" ancient texts in creating a bible to serve their religious movement?

Clear
φισεω

My last sentence says it all---they have Jesus. He reveals truth through HS--only through his real teachers.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Many will come in my name saying "I am"

I am also translated as these:

accompanied* (1), accompany* (2), am (138), amount (1), amounts (1), appear* (1), asserted* (1), become* (5), been (45), been* (1), being (26), belong (3), belonged* (1), belonging (1), belonging* (1), belongs (4), bring* (1), came (1), come (5), consist (1), crave* (1), depends* (1), do (1), done* (1), exist (3), existed (4), existed* (1), falls (1), found (1), had (8), happen (4), have (2), have come (1), lived (1), mean (1), mean* (2), means (7), meant (2), originate (1), owns (1), remain (3), remained (1), rest (1), sided (1), stayed (2), themselves (1), there (6), turn (1).

So he is saying at Mark 13:6; Mathew 24:5; and Luke 21:8 that many will come in his name saying Jesus is with them.

SEE??????? No? Because you can't think for yourselves.

It is a bad translation carried over to the New World Translation .

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
History does not reveal MANY people coming saying they ARE Christ. But MOST Christians have come saying Jesus is with them.

Please look up "many".

Strong's Greek: 4183. πολύς (polus) -- much, many

Read the whole page especially to the right side where the same word many is used in other scripture. It seems to me it means "most".

Most people will come in Jesus name saying he is with them.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
With meaning in agreement with or sympathizing with or in unison.

Jesus is with God The Father. So everyone saying Jesus is with them is also saying God is with them. That means the same as saying they are with God.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The translators and now the ones who hold to the translation are saying to do as they say according to their version of The Bible means God will judge favorably. So God is with their version of Holy Scripture. Jesus being with God means Jesus is also with their version of The Holy Scriptures. Which is something Jesus warned about not once but at least three times.

John 5:43
I have come in my Father's name, and you do not accept me; but if someone else comes in his own name, you will accept him.

Matthew 24:24
For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.

Mark 13:5
And Jesus began to say to them, "See to it that no one misleads you. 6"Many will come in My name, saying, 'I am He!' and will mislead many.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Luke 21:8
He replied: "Watch out that you are not deceived. For many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am he,' and, 'The time is near.' Do not follow them.

Now what scripture is saying God is with anyone except God's Son?