• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Incomplete Bible

crimson

A basic problem w/ all the theologies out there is that the Bible is largely a subjective compilation of works that were selected by a group of editors at that time. Many more books were left out of the bible, among them the Dead Sea Scrolls. I find it hard to accept that God pre-ordered the writing down of the Bible-leaving some books out simply by subjective opinion. Many of the points of view simply reflect modes of thought at the time. I am fascinated by Revelation. One does not know if it is simply allegorical. I would have thought that the end times would have come by now when you look at all the suffering & violence in this world. What's with the 2nd coming. I've begun to think that the 2nd coming simply means a spiritual revival, not a physical one. Playing the devil's advocate-with all the people who have been massacred over the millenia, where is this omnipotent God to save them? Nowhere. So much for greatness. Are they really just stardust or just asleep? Even the loss of an animal is distressing to me. All I see is that Satan rules this world hand & fist.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
A basic problem w/ all the theologies out there is that the Bible is largely a subjective compilation of works that were selected by a group of editors at that time. Many more books were left out of the bible, among them the Dead Sea Scrolls. I find it hard to accept that God pre-ordered the writing down of the Bible-leaving some books out simply by subjective opinion. Many of the points of view simply reflect modes of thought at the time. I am fascinated by Revelation. One does not know if it is simply allegorical. I would have thought that the end times would have come by now when you look at all the suffering & violence in this world. What's with the 2nd coming. I've begun to think that the 2nd coming simply means a spiritual revival, not a physical one. Playing the devil's advocate-with all the people who have been massacred over the millenia, where is this omnipotent God to save them? Nowhere. So much for greatness. Are they really just stardust or just asleep? Even the loss of an animal is distressing to me. All I see is that Satan rules this world hand & fist.
I thought I would just point out that much of the work in the Dead Sea Scrolls were actually copies of the Hebrew Bible, which are in the Bible. The other pieces were not accepted as authentic by the rest of Judaism. The authors of the Dead Sea Scrolls were after all a smaller group.

As for the book of Revelations, scholars have generally understood it for some time now. We can look at the genre, compare it to similar works and other works from that time, and get a pretty good idea what it means.

As for where is God? Maybe he simply does not interact in this world, in order to make sure that we can have the creativity and free will that he imagined for us.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Just a reminder, the Bible does not constitute "all theology." There are quite a few other games in town that study and contemplate the gods, yes?

At any rate, I don't see the nature of the Bible as a body of mythos problematic. Each to their own with regard to how they wish to interpret and navigate it; it's their sacred text, not mine. Some sect somewhere will agree with you and another will disagree with you. Pick your path and may it serve you well.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Why do people seek to comment knowingly when they obviously know so little?

I havent read much (factually) about the books that were left out, however I have heard repeatedly that important books were left out due to the content. Im not sure if this could be proven or disproven though.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
I havent read much (factually) about the books that were left out, however I have heard repeatedly that important books were left out due to the content. Im not sure if this could be proven or disproven though.

Important why? And to whom?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
A basic problem w/ all the theologies out there is that the Bible is largely a subjective compilation of works

Even if this were true (or made sense), not seeing how this would effect all theologies.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Important why? And to whom?

Well my grandfather and friends of mine have always said that the book of satan was removed. I personally think this would be an important book to christians and non christians alike. For christians because satan is a massive part of big picture and it would give non christians a balanced view.

Someone in the church told my mother that the book of satan was removed because it would scare people. Im not sure how accurate that would be or where they got that information from.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Well my grandfather and friends of mine have always said that the book of satan was removed. I personally think this would be an important book to christians and non christians alike. For christians because satan is a massive part of big picture and it would give non christians a balanced view.

Someone in the church told my mother that the book of satan was removed because it would scare people. Im not sure how accurate that would be or where they got that information from.

Sounds like someone's been feeding you a load. :yes:

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member

One of the major flaws in insisting that things have been left out is that different groups use the same base. So, things that might be important to Christians are likely to be irrelevant to Jews or even different groups of Christians. Looking at your example, for instance, presents a couple of issues. First, the Christian idea of Satan (and angels in general) is much different that what is found in Judaism. Second, I don't think it would present a "balanced view" to non-Christians; it doesn't fit for many groups who use the Bible.

idea

Question Everything
Yes, the Bible is incomplete - you can look up the scriptures listed below...

(Bible Dictionary | L Lost Books:Entry)

Lost Books. The so-called lost books of the Bible are those documents that are mentioned in the Bible in such a way that it is evident they were considered authentic and valuable, but that are not found in the Bible today. Sometimes called missing scripture, they consist of at least the following: book of the Wars of the Lord (Num. 21:14); book of Jasher (Josh. 10:13; 2 Sam. 1:18); book of the acts of Solomon (1 Kgs. 11:41); book of Samuel the seer (1 Chr. 29:29); book of Gad the seer (1 Chr. 29:29); book of Nathan the prophet (1 Chr. 29:29; 2 Chr. 9:29); prophecy of Ahijah (2 Chr. 9:29); visions of Iddo the seer (2 Chr. 9:29; 12:15; 13:22); book of Shemaiah (2 Chr. 12:15); book of Jehu (2 Chr. 20:34); sayings of the seers (2 Chr. 33:19); an epistle of Paul to the Corinthians, earlier than our present 1 Corinthians (1 Cor. 5:9); possibly an earlier epistle to the Ephesians (Eph. 3:3); an epistle to the Church at Laodicea (Col. 4:16); and some prophecies of Enoch, known to Jude (Jude 1:14). To these rather clear references to inspired writings other than our current Bible may be added another list that has allusions to writings that may or may not be contained within our present text, but may perhaps be known by a different title; for example, the book of the covenant (Ex. 24:7), which may or may not be included in the current book of Exodus; the manner of the kingdom, written by Samuel (1 Sam. 10:25); the rest of the acts of Uzziah written by Isaiah (2 Chr. 26:22).

The foregoing items attest to the fact that our present Bible does not contain all of the word of the Lord that he gave to his people in former times, and remind us that the Bible, in its present form, is rather incomplete.

Matthew's reference to a prophecy that Jesus would be a Nazarene (2:23) is interesting when it is considered that our present O.T. seems to have no statement as such. There is a possibility, however, that Matthew alluded to Isaiah 11:1, which prophesies of the Messiah as a Branch from the root of Jesse, the father of David. The Hebrew word for branch in this case is netzer, the source word of Nazarene and Nazareth. Additional references to the Branch as the Savior and Messiah are found in Jer. 23:5; 33:15; Zech. 3:8; 6:12; these use a synonymous Hebrew word for branch, tzemakh.
that's why I use more than just the Bible :)

this is a great resource:
http://www.pseudepigrapha.com/

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
One of the major flaws in insisting that things have been left out is that different groups use the same base. So, things that might be important to Christians are likely to be irrelevant to Jews or even different groups of Christians. Looking at your example, for instance, presents a couple of issues. First, the Christian idea of Satan (and angels in general) is much different that what is found in Judaism. Second, I don't think it would present a "balanced view" to non-Christians; it doesn't fit for many groups who use the Bible.

To be honest I am not sure what the judaism idea of satan or angels is.

Also - In regards to a balanced view, you hear a lot about God in the bible (obviously!) but only snippets of satan. I found during my church going days that Satan was seen as the opposite to god, so originally I thought he was an evil god (like dark and light). I was surprised when I had been told that he was once an angel. Skewed my view a bit. Hope that makes sense.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
To be honest I am not sure what the judaism idea of satan or angels is.

Also - In regards to a balanced view, you hear a lot about God in the bible (obviously!) but only snippets of satan. I found during my church going days that Satan was seen as the opposite to god, so originally I thought he was an evil god (like dark and light). I was surprised when I had been told that he was once an angel. Skewed my view a bit. Hope that makes sense.

It does make sense, but it doesn't address my point.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Do you mean your point about it not being relevant for non christians?

That, and why it should be included when it plays no part in the beliefs of many groups who use the Bible as the base for their scripture.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
That, and why it should be included when it plays no part in the beliefs of many groups who use the Bible as the base for their scripture.

In regards for relevance for non christians...a fair amount of non christians will read the bible for various reasons. So some of them feel that it would be beneficial to read the book of satan as well.

As for your second point, that really depends on its content.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
In regards for relevance for non christians...a fair amount of non christians will read the bible for various reasons. So some of them feel that it would be beneficial to read the book of satan as well.

As for your second point, that really depends on its content.

But what, exactly, would be beneficial in the "Book of Satan"?

To me, it seems like it would be no different than some of the writing from the Essenes, the Gnostics, or other small groups with beliefs that differ from the majority. While they might find relevance and importance in it, that doesn't mean that holds any value to anyone else. I was raised Christian, and this is the first I've heard of a "Book of Satan" and its removal from the canon.

Each religion gets to set what it deems important and what is useless.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
But what, exactly, would be beneficial in the "Book of Satan"?

To me, it seems like it would be no different than some of the writing from the Essenes, the Gnostics, or other small groups with beliefs that differ from the majority. While they might find relevance and importance in it, that doesn't mean that holds any value to anyone else. I was raised Christian, and this is the first I've heard of a "Book of Satan" and its removal from the canon.

Each religion gets to set what it deems important and what is useless.

Well without me actually reading it, its impossible for me to say exactly what would be beneficial. I can only presume that it describes satan, his behaviours, his stories and his interaction with the human race. It would be beneficial to those wanting to resist him I think.

I was raised in a religion absent household and discovered christianity when I was 12. It wasnt until I was about 14 that someone asked me (in an attempt to break my faith) what about the book of satan? I had no idea what he was talking about. I seemed to hear this question more and more as the years went on.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Well without me actually reading it, its impossible for me to say exactly what would be beneficial. I can only presume that it describes satan, his behaviours, his stories and his interaction with the human race. It would be beneficial to those wanting to resist him I think.

I was raised in a religion absent household and discovered christianity when I was 12. It wasnt until I was about 14 that someone asked me (in an attempt to break my faith) what about the book of satan? I had no idea what he was talking about. I seemed to hear this question more and more as the years went on.

Ah, got it.

ErikErik

Where did you hear this lie that it was editors who decided what went into the Holy Scriptures? You are just repeating what you have heard about supposed "lost books." God promised to preserve His word. I believe Him.