• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the importance on the distinction between revelation in Hinduism and Islam

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I didnt mean to offend you man. Perhaps I should had worded in a different manner.

Its not so much that you worded it badly, but rather this approach to the topic is what i find offensive. That is, confident summations of supposedly what Islam is all about, especially considering that you posted after i replied to the post you quoted and said that it is in fact inaccurate. And particularly when those summations are honestly inexcusable misunderstandings.

To be completely honest, to get to the gist of what i'm trying to say, the inaccuracy and misunderstanding here and in that post, has more to do in my view with the will to dismiss rather than a genuine misunderstanding. Its not necessarily a deliberate attempt to misrepresent and be offensive, however. I get that impression from both the level of misunderstanding, and the way both posts were worded.

I don't believe that Hinduism is superior to any other religion. Because our God is also your God, and religion should not be about competition. Why would I want to have animosity or enemies?

I understand, and i'm not saying thats your aim, to have any kind of animosity. I also don't think there is any problem actually with thinking that Hinduism is superior (not saying that you think so, but clarifying that if you or anybody else do, i obviously have no problem with that).

What i do have a problem with however is what i explained above. This is a thread in the comparative religion forum, a no debate area. There is only one way to go about this if you want to get any constructive results in this thread, in my view. That way is for each member to express their understanding of both faiths, while being open for correction regarding their understanding of the other faith, and in the end you see what the results are (with putting in mind all the different interpretations of members of the same faith of their own religion). What are the similarities and differences, what they possibly mean etc...

And like i said, this process must include an actual honest attempt at a fair representation, rather than that which i believe is going on in this thread with some posts.

Also tell me, have I said anything false about what I stated about Muslims and Islam?

Yes, you did. This:

All a Muslim has to do is follow what is laid out before him. The emphasis is on being part of a community. All the talk about the Ummah, Muslim "brothers" and "sisters", dawah, conversion, obligatory mosque prayer, obligatory charity etc

Is false on more than one point, and is not what i view as an attempt at fairly representing a faith's perspective. Here is why its false in my view:

All a Muslim has to do is follow what is laid out before him.

That is 100% inaccurate, there is just not any level on which this can be considered correct. First of all, nothing is laid out before him. He has multiple sources for things like morality, purpose, inspiration etc... one of which, is the Quran. God's guide to people who accept it that will help them in the process.

Other sources are both within the person and in the world around him/her. Exploring which is a world of work on its own.

Second, the Quran is not given in a supposed package that includes all the proper interpretations and meanings for you to easily take and just concentrate your effort on following them. There is the whole issue of actually working towards understanding the Quran, which includes many different things needed to do so.

The emphasis is on being part of a community. All the talk about the Ummah, Muslim "brothers" and "sisters", dawah, conversion, obligatory mosque prayer, obligatory charity etc

Again, that is not accurate. The emphasis is most certainly not on being "part" of the community, that is only one single part amongst many things on which an emphasis is made. Not all of which are concerned with community. The general goal, in my view, like i stated before, is being a betterment for the world, which includes bettering yourself. The more you walk in that path, seeking to be so, and raising your goals and achievements, the better. A task or purpose that includes working on many different areas or departments.

Last edited:
How exactly do Muslims say that the Quran "reverberates"?

Sounds Hinduish; "external symbol of internal reality".

Every verse in the Qur'an is called an 'ayat,' or a sign, a symbol, a portent, a miracle, a meaning. These ayats are also found in everything that is from Allah through the creation and the universe. These are the mysteries of God, of which can only be discovered by one who is in complete surrender to God and is open to be in tune with Him.

"We shall show them Our portents [ayat] on the horizons and within themselves until it will be manifest unto them that it is the Truth. Doth not thy Lord suffice, since He is Witness over all things?"

-- Ha Mim Sajdah (Revelations Well Expounded), 41:53

"And in the earth are portents [ayat] for those whose faith is sure. And also in yourselves. Can ye then not see?"

-- Adh-Dhariyat (The Scatterers), 50:20-21

"Lo! In the heavens and the earth are portents [ayat] for believers.

And in your creation, and all the beasts that He scattereth in the earth, are portents [ayat] for a folk whose faith is sure.

And the difference of night and day and the provision that Allah sendeth down from the sky and thereby quickeneth the earth after her death, and the ordering of the winds, are portents [ayat] for a people who have sense.

These are the portents [ayat] of Allah which We recite unto thee, Muhammad, with truth. Then in what fact, after Allah and His portents [ayat], will they believe?
"

-- Al-Jathiyah (The Kneeling), 45:3-6

Can you please quote the verse? I've told that the Vedas are uncreated.

Sorry, I meant, that He is the Creator of the Vedanta, and the Knower of the Vedas. By the Vedas, He is to be known. Bhagavad Gita 15.15

vedaish cha sarvair aham eva vedyo
vedanta-krd veda-vid eva chaham

"By the Vedas, I am to be known. Indeed, I am the compiler of Vedanta, and the Knower of the Vedas." (Srila Prabhupada)

"One becomes a knower of the Vedic scriptures when through the grace of Lord Krishna one realises the reality that the Vedic scriptures originated from Him to guide and protect those in material creation to return to Him. Those who who are not graced by the Supreme Lord can never fathom and discover the import of the Vedic scriptures even if they are reknowned scholars and erudite professors who give detailed discourses on them." -- Keshava Kashmiri's bhashya on Gita 15.15

Last edited: