• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the hour of power....not. it's more like the hour is sour

waitasec

Veteran Member
the crystal cathedral owes 7.5 million
and is going bankrupt.

how can a megachurch get into such debt?

Smoke

Done here.
Megachurch pastors think big. Here's a description of their Christmas pageant:

"It was a very big production," said Juliet Noriega, the wardrobe manager for the pageants, who claims she is owed more than $11,000. "The three wise men rode in on camels. The roman centurions made their entrances on horses. Because the cathedral was such a large venue everything they did there was quite large. There were 200 people on stage and thousands of costume pieces."​

I mean, this is their church:

MVI_004225w.jpg

Found one article saying the problem was, Schuller wasn't venal and glitzy enough:

There were in fact two bricks that may have hastened the crack in the sparkling glass that held up the roof of the Cathedral.

Brick #1 Paul Crouch and the Prosperity Crew – Compared to many of the prosperity preachers featured on TBN (Trinity Broadcasting Network) Pastor Schuller preached a very orthodox version of the gospel. No name it and claim it messages, No 8 Steps to Wealth, just simply “if you dream it you can achieve it.” As the prosperity gospel increased in popularity, sermons based on the believer actually having to do something other than give to a preacher became as popular as chastity belt at Woodstock.

Brick #2 Rick Warren Youth Movement – Rick Warren may have inadvertently delivered the final blow to the Crystal Cathedral in his mass appeal to Generation X. As the demographic of Orange County changed so they did the type of members sitting in the pews at the Crystal Cathedral. While Pastor Schuller base begin to dwindle due to declining income, some reaching the retirement age, and the absence of glitz & glamour, Rick Warren has emerged has the undisputed champion only miles away from the Crystal Cathedral. Rick Warren has mastered the art of marketing to a younger age bracket which has presented his ministry as the really hip and cool place to attend church.​

Skwim

Veteran Member
From an article in THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

GARDEN GROVE -- Crystal Cathedral officials have shown no intention of paying back more than 100 vendors to whom they owe $7.5 million, according to one of the vendors who is waiting for more than $50,000 from the megachurch and lost her house to foreclosure.

Kristina Oliver said she was happy to get on a committee for creditors in April.

"I honestly believed that the church was going to come up with an equitable plan to pay us all," she said. "But now I know that all they wanted to do was string us along."
source

A church that strings people along? !? No way! No ******* way!

waitasec

Veteran Member
From an article in THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

GARDEN GROVE -- Crystal Cathedral officials have shown no intention of paying back more than 100 vendors to whom they owe $7.5 million, according to one of the vendors who is waiting for more than $50,000 from the megachurch and lost her house to foreclosure.

Kristina Oliver said she was happy to get on a committee for creditors in April.

"I honestly believed that the church was going to come up with an equitable plan to pay us all," she said. "But now I know that all they wanted to do was string us along."
source

A church that strings people along? !? No way! No ******* way!

:yes: way....

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
the crystal cathedral owes 7.5 million
and is going bankrupt.

how can a megachurch get into such debt?

It depends on whether they're unable to pay their debts because they're going bankrupt or they're filing for bankruptcy so they wont have to pay their debts.

Man of Faith

It's the economy, people loose jobs and others tighten their belt as the economy falters and then they give less to the church. During boom times the church does more, give more to the poor, helps more people, sends more missionaries out to Haiti, etc... because people give more, but during bust times it is like anything else, they have to cut back.

It sounds like they weren't prudent with their money during boom times and over extended.

waitasec

Veteran Member
It's the economy, people loose jobs and others tighten their belt as the economy falters and then they give less to the church. During boom times the church does more, give more to the poor, helps more people, sends more missionaries out to Haiti, etc... because people give more, but during bust times it is like anything else, they have to cut back.

It sounds like they weren't prudent with their money during boom times and over extended.

over extended by 7.5 mil? i wouldn't call that prudent.
that's a bit excessive...

every year they put out 2 huge pageants, why? how many people (homeless, sick, displaced children) could have benefitted from all that money...
instead they go in DEBT 7.5 mil

a haughty spirit come before a fall....

A

angellous_evangellous

every year they put out 2 huge pageants, why? how many people (homeless, sick, displaced children) could have benefitted from all that money...

That depends on what their yearly income is. Such debt can be managable for a large church, but it seems that they don't owe banks this money, but local vendors. That's just unusual. If the vendors knew what they were doing, they should have demanded payment up front, forcing the church to either pay from its income or use a line of credit from a bank.

As it is now, the church can basically go without penalty for owing the vendors until one of them sues.

I work in church finance, and I could get them out of that hole in 6 to 9 years.

waitasec

Veteran Member
That depends on what their yearly income is. Such debt can be managable for a large church, but it seems that they don't owe banks this money, but local vendors. That's just unusual. If the vendors knew what they were doing, they should have demanded payment up front, forcing the church to either pay from its income or use a line of credit from a bank.

As it is now, the church can basically go without penalty for owing the vendors until one of them sues.

I work in church finance, and I could get them out of that hole in 6 to 9 years.

i guess what is mind boggeling is the audacity, they actually believed they could keep it up...so much for faith :rolleyes:

Man of Faith

I hope they learn from their mistakes and recommit themselves to what is important, worshiping God and helping others in Jesus name.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If the vendors knew what they were doing, they should have demanded payment up front, forcing the church to either pay from its income or use a line of credit from a bank.
Vendors have a dilemma. If you demand payment up front, the customer will go to a vendor who extends credit. If you extend credit, sometimes you get stiffed.
If I demanded payment up front, I'd have few customers. Tis difficult to handle this profitably, & I know many businesses in trouble from taking either approach.