• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The history of the 'Stigmata'

pearl

I admittedly have trouble believing this as fact, but I did enjoy the movie "Stigmata"
I apologize for the poor analogy.

To many, the stigmata can seem a strange “gift,” but Padre Pio is not the first to reportedly receive the wounds of Christ.
The stigmata—a history

The first stigmatic (a person whose body shows wounds like those of Christ) was St. Francis of Assisi, the founder of the Franciscan order, in 1224. He is said to have borne the marks of the nails of the crucifixion on his hands and feet, and the wound from the lance in his side. Other stigmatics, like St. Margaret Mary Alacoque, bore only marks from the crown of thorns.

The word stigmata, the plural of stigma, comes from the Greek, meaning “mark” or “brand.”

There have been about 250 recorded instances of the stigmata, and approximately 90 percent of these stigmatics have been women. However, not all have been declared saints or even affirmed as legitimate by the church.

For St. Francis, the stigmata appeared when he received a vision of an angel crucified, and the wounds then appeared on his own body. His biographer, Thomas of Celano, also wrote that he suffered more illnesses after receiving the stigmata.

The stigmata usually is reported to occur alongside some form of religious ecstasy or visions, which tend to occur either at the reception of the marks or more regularly. Usually, physical pain and anguish for the sinful state of the world occur along with the wounds, showing the stigmatic’s connection to Christ.

Padre Pio, like other stigmatics, reportedly had a vision that led to his receiving the five wounds. He, too, had been sickly his whole life (he was discharged from the Medical Corps during World War I because of his ill health). The first priest to receive the stigmata, he was prohibited from celebrating Mass in public and from visiting with people for a few years in the 1930s because of church suspicion of his works.

Padre Pio allegedly experienced transverberation of the heart—two months before he received the stigmata—in which he suffered horrible pain in his side for two days, said to be part of participation in Jesus’ suffering for the world. He was able to bilocate, according to the testimony of Padre Carmelo Durante, the superior of Padre Pio’s community in 1954, and it was said he was in the town healing people or attending meetings while being simultaneously in the friary.

Padre Pio faced questions from authorities, including Pope John XXIII in the 1960s, about the veracity of his miracles, from the healings he performed to the stigmata he bore. Many argue to this day that he may have used carbolic acid on his hands to make the marks on his body. However, the pope who canonized him, St. John Paul II, had his own encounter with Padre Pio in 1947 and believed in Padre Pio’s prophetic powers; and he beatified and canonized him.

A very high percentage of stigmatics have been women. Some have attributed this to women being more active generally in religion, or to women’s lack of power in the church, especially in previous centuries. Others have argued that experiencing the wounds of Christ lent women with the stigmata a kind of authority in the church in which they have no clerical power. Most also had little earthly power in their own lives—Marie Rose Ferron was bedridden; St. Lidwina was paralyzed; Bl. Elena Aiello survived stomach cancer.

The first recorded case of stigmata occurred in the 13th century, which for some raises questions about the first 1,000-plus years after Christ’s death, when there is no record of anyone reporting these wounds. Some note that the beginning of the era in which the church has a record of people claiming to experience the stigmata aligns with the period in church history when the church embraced with special emphasis the recognition of the humanity of Jesus, especially as he was on the cross. Around that same time St. Francis of Assisi received the stigmata, the feast of Corpus Christi was celebrated on the Christian calendar for the first time.

The self-proclaimed devil’s advocate Herbert Thurston, S.J., wrote that the suggestibility of the so-called stigmatics lends itself to a “crucifixion complex.” The stigmatics’ marks vary: The lance wound in the side is sometimes on the left, sometimes the right; many stigmatics have wounds in the palm, whereas Jesus would have been nailed through the wrist (as some more recent stigmatics have allegedly experienced); and some have markings directly corresponding to a crucifix at their local church. This could suggest that the stigmatics imprinted the marks on themselves, either purposefully or while in religious trance; in this case, they would not have been divinely caused.
Explainer: Padre Pio and the (controversial) history of the stigmata | America Magazine

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
In case you're referring to the 1999 film, I liked it too, but it did refer to an aphocryphal gospel, the Gospel of Thomas. I thought it was outside the framework of the Catholic Church. But it was great entertainment and also made me think a bit.

pearl

In case you're referring to the 1999 film, I liked it too, but it did refer to an aphocryphal gospel, the Gospel of Thomas. I thought it was outside the framework of the Catholic Church. But it was great entertainment and also made me think a bit.

I enjoyed the movie with its good actors. The gospel of Thomas is valued just was not canonized. According to the movie the controversy was over the Kingdom of God being 'within you'.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I admittedly have trouble believing this as fact, but I did enjoy the movie "Stigmata"
I apologize for the poor analogy.

To many, the stigmata can seem a strange “gift,” but Padre Pio is not the first to reportedly receive the wounds of Christ.
The stigmata—a history

The first stigmatic (a person whose body shows wounds like those of Christ) was St. Francis of Assisi, the founder of the Franciscan order, in 1224. He is said to have borne the marks of the nails of the crucifixion on his hands and feet, and the wound from the lance in his side. Other stigmatics, like St. Margaret Mary Alacoque, bore only marks from the crown of thorns.

The word stigmata, the plural of stigma, comes from the Greek, meaning “mark” or “brand.”

There have been about 250 recorded instances of the stigmata, and approximately 90 percent of these stigmatics have been women. However, not all have been declared saints or even affirmed as legitimate by the church.

For St. Francis, the stigmata appeared when he received a vision of an angel crucified, and the wounds then appeared on his own body. His biographer, Thomas of Celano, also wrote that he suffered more illnesses after receiving the stigmata.

The stigmata usually is reported to occur alongside some form of religious ecstasy or visions, which tend to occur either at the reception of the marks or more regularly. Usually, physical pain and anguish for the sinful state of the world occur along with the wounds, showing the stigmatic’s connection to Christ.

Padre Pio, like other stigmatics, reportedly had a vision that led to his receiving the five wounds. He, too, had been sickly his whole life (he was discharged from the Medical Corps during World War I because of his ill health). The first priest to receive the stigmata, he was prohibited from celebrating Mass in public and from visiting with people for a few years in the 1930s because of church suspicion of his works.

Padre Pio allegedly experienced transverberation of the heart—two months before he received the stigmata—in which he suffered horrible pain in his side for two days, said to be part of participation in Jesus’ suffering for the world. He was able to bilocate, according to the testimony of Padre Carmelo Durante, the superior of Padre Pio’s community in 1954, and it was said he was in the town healing people or attending meetings while being simultaneously in the friary.

Padre Pio faced questions from authorities, including Pope John XXIII in the 1960s, about the veracity of his miracles, from the healings he performed to the stigmata he bore. Many argue to this day that he may have used carbolic acid on his hands to make the marks on his body. However, the pope who canonized him, St. John Paul II, had his own encounter with Padre Pio in 1947 and believed in Padre Pio’s prophetic powers; and he beatified and canonized him.

A very high percentage of stigmatics have been women. Some have attributed this to women being more active generally in religion, or to women’s lack of power in the church, especially in previous centuries. Others have argued that experiencing the wounds of Christ lent women with the stigmata a kind of authority in the church in which they have no clerical power. Most also had little earthly power in their own lives—Marie Rose Ferron was bedridden; St. Lidwina was paralyzed; Bl. Elena Aiello survived stomach cancer.

The first recorded case of stigmata occurred in the 13th century, which for some raises questions about the first 1,000-plus years after Christ’s death, when there is no record of anyone reporting these wounds. Some note that the beginning of the era in which the church has a record of people claiming to experience the stigmata aligns with the period in church history when the church embraced with special emphasis the recognition of the humanity of Jesus, especially as he was on the cross. Around that same time St. Francis of Assisi received the stigmata, the feast of Corpus Christi was celebrated on the Christian calendar for the first time.

The self-proclaimed devil’s advocate Herbert Thurston, S.J., wrote that the suggestibility of the so-called stigmatics lends itself to a “crucifixion complex.” The stigmatics’ marks vary: The lance wound in the side is sometimes on the left, sometimes the right; many stigmatics have wounds in the palm, whereas Jesus would have been nailed through the wrist (as some more recent stigmatics have allegedly experienced); and some have markings directly corresponding to a crucifix at their local church. This could suggest that the stigmatics imprinted the marks on themselves, either purposefully or while in religious trance; in this case, they would not have been divinely caused.
Explainer: Padre Pio and the (controversial) history of the stigmata | America Magazine

Did (Jesus) Yeshua- the Israelite Messiah say anything about " stigmata" and gave any reason in its significance, please?
If not, then, isn't it worst kind of superstition the " Religion: Catholic" are in, please? Right?

Regards

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Did (Jesus) Yeshua- the Israelite Messiah say anything about " stigmata" and gave any reason in its significance, please?
If not, then, isn't it worst kind of superstition the " Religion: Catholic" are in, please? Right?

Regards
Do you really believe that Jesus talked about everything that will ever happen in the future?

IF Jesus didn't cover certain subjects THEN this does not mean they can't happen, right?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Padre Pio was a bit of a genius with the fingerless gloves: he got credit for having the stigmata AND being "humble" about it without having to cut himself or burn himself with acid all the time.

... but my favourite thing about stigmata is how their location has changed over the years:

- traditionally, the stigmata would "appear" on the hands.

- a study gets published looking at the mechanics of crucifixion (using corpses, IIRC) and concludes that a nail through the palm wouldn't have been strong enough to hold a human body up, so the nails must have gone through the wrists.

- suddenly, stigmatics start getting wounds in their wrists instead of their hands.

- a while later, a follow-up study gets published. That new study concludes that the first study didn't properly account for support from the legs, and nails through the hands would be strong enough.

- suddenly, stigmatics' wounds move back to the palms.

To someone who assumes that stigmata are real, the implication is that Jesus doesn't remember how he was crucified.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

In Galatians 6:17-18.Did paul have stigmata?:)
"Galatians 6:17-18 "

The above verses "Galatians 6:17-18 " are not from Yeshua, please:
New Testament
(Red Letter Edition)
King James Version

with all the words recorded therein as having been spoken by our Lord printed in Red.

jdsbible1_covs.jpg

Holy Bible King James Version (Red Letter Edition)

Right?

Regards
"Methodism, also called the Methodist movement, is a group of historically related denominations of Protestant Christianity whose origins, doctrine and practice derive from the life and teachings of John Wesley."
Methodism - Wikipedia

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Anybody, please

Regards