• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The history of Muslim (Islam) as rulers

ManSinha

With all due respect - and I must own up to a certain level of culpability - placing this in Religious Debate instead of politics perhaps (but I am relatively new and all too human) - so with that said

@ecco and and @Landon Caeli

I think that discussion around the Prophet Muhammad is somewhat irrelevant to this discussion

He is long gone - and as per @Ellen Brown - did not leave a good succession plan

Now what happens when a good succession plan is left:

I present to you - ladies and gentlemen - the case of Guru Gobind Singh - the 10th Master of the Sikh faith - assassinated in 1708 - (quick history lesson - he was stabbed while asleep and his wounds never healed - there are a group of stories - where some say he was cremated as per custom and others say he "disappeared" and has appeared to his devotees from time to time - sound familiar? - but I digress)

This is undisputed - before the end, he publicly bowed before a copy of the SGGS - transferring all his powers - and said "Sabh Sikhan ko hukam hai - Guru maanyo Granth" - literal translation - "I am commanding the Sikh faith to look up to the SGGS as the next Spiritual Guide - for all time to come"

Guess what - within 300 years - there are Naamdharis, Nirankaris, Nihangs - and a couple more groups / sects - each with their own take on the faith - and some with "living gurus" which is kinda unnecessary given that there is an anointed guide

So in a sense - trust human kind - especially those that want power and influence and perhaps wealth - to take a good thing and muck it up -

Guess I shall step off my soap box now :)

Last edited:

ManSinha

So, from a practical perspective, what should we do now?

If I had the answer my friend - I would have won the Nobel Peace Prize by now

But like I was commenting to a person that kindly had a theological discussion with me on PM - I think starting with trying to get more people content with what they have is one place to start - and then giving a damn about others less fortunate

Like I have pointed out over and over - it really does not matter who one chooses to worship or whether one choses to worship at all - as long as one is content with their lot - I think that can go a long way to starting the healing process - now I am not saying give up ambition - because then society would regress but there is a fine line - I think and perhaps those of you that are better read and better philosophers than me can elaborate.

exchemist

Veteran Member
It's my understanding that the number of churches in Muslim majority countries around the world is steadily declining. If you have information that contradicts that I'd - sincerely - like to see it.
I have no information either way and it would not be relevant to my point, viz. that other religions are tolerated in quite a number of muslim countries (though not of course in the USA's great ally, Saudi Arabia*).

* I once smuggled a Christmas pudding into Saudi Arabia: a rather risky thing to do. :D

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
If I had the answer my friend - I would have won the Nobel Peace Prize by now

But like I was commenting to a person that kindly had a theological discussion with me on PM - I think starting with trying to get more people content with what they have is one place to start - and then giving a damn about others less fortunate

Like I have pointed out over and over - it really does not matter who one chooses to worship or whether one choses to worship at all - as long as one is content with their lot - I think that can go a long way to starting the healing process - now I am not saying give up ambition - because then society would regress but there is a fine line - I think and perhaps those of you that are better read and better philosophers than me can elaborate.

Step 1: Water
Step 2: Food
Step 3: Health Care
Step 4: Education
Step 5: Peace

ManSinha

Step 3: Health Care
Step 5: Peace

Add 6. Shelter perhaps ?
That is certainly one great approach - now what is preventing that from happening?

Last edited:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Add 6. Shelter perhaps ?

Step 3: Shelter
Step 4: Health Care
Step 6: Peace

That is certainly one great approach - now what is preventing that from happening?

I don't know. Generations of conflict? War is a big business? People are still very self-centered?

ManSinha

People are still very self-centered?

Interesting that you say that

In Christianity - there is the tithe - 2 Corinthians 9:7 - Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver

In Islam - the importance of charitable giving (Zakat) is 3rd after Shahada and Salat

In Sikhism - we are urged to contribute 10% towards charitable causes (Personally I have wondered if that is out of "gross earnings" or "net after taxes, depreciation, interest and amortization" - but that is another story)
The tenets oft quoted are "Naam Jap, Wund Chak, Kirit Kar" - Remember the Lord; share what you have and Do Good Deeds

Incredible is it not - the teachings are all there - if those that purport to worship the gods and revere the prophets would but follow it

ecco

Veteran Member
@ecco,

In your reply to Ellen, you cited a document to support your statement that Muhammad was a man who "forcefully converted" most of the Arabian Peninsula to his new faith.
Ellen's evidence of Muhammad's character is much stronger.

His actions...
Conquest of Mecca - Wikipedia
The Muslim army set out for Mecca on Wednesday, 29 November 629 (6 Ramadan, 8 AH).[3] Volunteers and contingents from allied tribes joined the Muslim army on the way swelling its size to about 10,000 strong.​

Battle of Hunayn - Wikipedia
The Battle of Hunayn (Arabic: غَـزوة حُـنـيـن‎, Ghazwat Hunayn) was fought by the Islamic Prophet Muhammad and his followers against the Bedouin tribe of Hawazinand its subsection the Thaqif, in 630 CE, in the Hunayn valley, on the route from Mecca to At-Ta’if. The battle ultimately ended in a decisive victory for the Muslims, who captured enormous spoils. It is mentioned in Surat at-Tawbah of the Qur’an, and is one of the few battles mentioned by name in the Qur’an.[3][4]

And then there are his own words...
But when the forbidden months are past, then fight and slay the Pagans wherever ye find them, and seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem (of war)...
from Qur'an 9:5​

Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book...
from Qur'an 9:29​

Ellen Brown

@ecco,

In your reply to Ellen, you cited a document to support your statement that Muhammad was a man who "forcefully converted" most of the Arabian Peninsula to his new faith.

I think Ellen's point was that other people NOT Muhammad, himself, have been the cause of hostile behavior in the name of Islam. That's why she said, "Islam largely died with him".

Looking at the document you cited, it states that the conquest / conversion of the Arabian Peninsula occurred in 2 years.

It seems like, please correct me if I'm wrong, the document you are citing supports Ellen's point even though it was intended to discredit it.

How did Muhammad, the man himself, do the forceful conversion of the Arabian Peninsula in 2 years? Ellen said, "I think he must have been a sweet man". You said "A very sweet man who..."

Weren't you trying to show that Muhammad wasn't a sweet man? And the evidence for this was in the document you cited?

Am I misunderstanding your intended message and the support you were intending to bring?

Ellen's evidence, The Constitution of Medina, "A book of the Prophet Muhammad" strongly supports the idea that Muhammad would not have supported forcibly converting the Arabian Peninsula himself. The Constitution of Medina prohibits forced conversion.

hyperlink >>> Constitution of Medina - Wikipedia

What happened in the Arabian Peninsula approx. 630 AD? It's hard to prove that Muhammad's intention was forced conversion because of The Constitution of Medina.

In the document you provided there is only 1 sentence making a claim that, in my opinion, is very hard to attribute directly to Muhammad himself.

So the document you cited is weak evidence that Muhammad himself was NOT sweet. That was your assessment? And your reason for this assessment is that Muhammad forcibly converted the Arabian Peninsula?

If we are looking for clues to the sort of person Muhammad was, "sweet" or "not sweet", I think Ellen's evidence is stronger than yours.

That's why I asked the question about how Muhammad could have forcibly converted the Arabian Peninsula in 2 years, himself. It's because you used the forcible conversion of the Arabian Peninsula as a measure of Muhammad's character.

If Muhammad did not forcibly convert the Arabian peninsula himself, then the document you provided is not very strong indicator of Muhammad's character. Ellen's evidence of Muhammad's character is much stronger.

Mashallah. The bulk of what I know of the history of the Arabian Peninsula, I learned at the Masjid I attended. It was also taught that He had lots of contact with Jewish scholars, and a Christian Priest. The Prophet was at first a "Caravan Trader" and travelled. I do not have knowledge about how far his travels took him. I would suppose he got to Egypt and beyond, and perhaps north as far as Turkey, Iraq, Syria, and such.

Trying to think what it would be like to be placed into the 7th century world, is guess work. Apparently, the Byzantines raided the Arabian Peninsula often. So, I think that Muhammad PBUH was connected with Allah SWT, and taught by his Angels. In my opinion, I think that Islam borrowed lots of ideas from the Jews, and Christians. He was the first to put rights for women in writing, in the Constitution of Medina.

I think that what some Christians say about Muhammad PBUH is mean spirited, even vile and violates the very words of Jesus the Christ. Sadly, I think that after the death of Jesus, Christianity quickly failed. Those few who honestly seek God, are devout, and try to follow Jesus completely are the only reason that any semblance of the faith survived. Just my opinion.

ecco

Veteran Member
You need to just let us do it. You're acting like a dictator, trying to navigate the discussion into what you want to discuss.
Au Contraire. I'm willing to let the conversation drift around.

You are the only one trying to dictate that the rest of us stay strictly on the topic of Muslims.

Even the author of the OP hasn't tried to be as strict as you.

If you want to start a thread with a narrow specific topic, then do it.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
His actions...
Conquest of Mecca - Wikipedia
The Muslim army set out for Mecca on Wednesday, 29 November 629 (6 Ramadan, 8 AH).[3] Volunteers and contingents from allied tribes joined the Muslim army on the way swelling its size to about 10,000 strong.​

Battle of Hunayn - Wikipedia
The Battle of Hunayn (Arabic: غَـزوة حُـنـيـن‎, Ghazwat Hunayn) was fought by the Islamic Prophet Muhammad and his followers against the Bedouin tribe of Hawazinand its subsection the Thaqif, in 630 CE, in the Hunayn valley, on the route from Mecca to At-Ta’if. The battle ultimately ended in a decisive victory for the Muslims, who captured enormous spoils. It is mentioned in Surat at-Tawbah of the Qur’an, and is one of the few battles mentioned by name in the Qur’an.[3][4]

And then there are his own words...
But when the forbidden months are past, then fight and slay the Pagans wherever ye find them, and seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem (of war)...
from Qur'an 9:5​

Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book...
from Qur'an 9:29​
Thank you for providing these additional details.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
@ecco,

I have reviewed both wikipedia articles you provided. I found nothing negative about Muhammad in either of them. To the contrary, in the Conquest of Mecca, the wikipedia article reports that Muhammad said this:

"I speak to you in the same words as Yūsuf spoke to his brothers. This day there is no reproof against you; Go your way, for you are free."

ecco

Veteran Member
@ecco,

I have reviewed both wikipedia articles you provided. I found nothing negative about Muhammad in either of them. To the contrary, in the Conquest of Mecca, the wikipedia article reports that Muhammad said this:
"I speak to you in the same words as Yūsuf spoke to his brothers. This day there is no reproof against you; Go your way, for you are free."​
How did you manage to miss the part that Muhammed surrounded the city with 10,000 troops?

If you are in a city surrounded by 10,000 troops, would you think there is someone applying force?
If you are in a city surrounded by 10,000 troops, would you think you have much choice?

Apologetics go only so far, then one should face the truth.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
How did you manage to miss the part that Muhammed surrounded the city with 10,000 troops?

If you are in a city surrounded by 10,000 troops, would you think there is someone applying force?
If you are in a city surrounded by 10,000 troops, would you think you have much choice?

Most respectfully, What is the truth?

ManSinha

Listen - @dybmh - I am the first to defend the rights of others - but let us face facts - part of the reason India has the second largest sheer number of Muslims is because of forced conversions a few hundred years ago - now whether the Qu'ran has lines to justify that or the rulers came up with that all on their own - I have not studied it yet - but please do not go pretending it is not possible or did not happen - Christianity and Islam have both done this - not all the adherents in the Middle Eastern countries converted because they liked the faith.

ecco

Veteran Member

If you read my post you should be able to discern that for yourself.

If you believe Muhammed peacefully took Mecca, then you see the truth of the situation through the eyes of an apologetic.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
If you read my post you should be able to discern that for yourself.

If you believe Muhammed peacefully took Mecca, then you see the truth of the situation through the eyes of an apologetic.

Thank you for your reply. I hear you.

I do not think he took it peacefully. But that does not mean the Muhammad wasn't a good person or as @Ellen described him "sweet".

So many military leaders and soldiers contain both qualities. They are both sweet and they are also fierce warriors. There are many stories about the US Navy SEALS which support this idea. A soldier is a soldier when they need to be a soldier. And they are sweet, off the battlefield, among friends, and in their writing.

Regarding being apologetic. I am certainly not that. But I understand why you would assume that about me.

Many people who speak the way I do probably are "apologists". But I am not. My approach is practical and analytical. But it is not apologetic.

I am working on a reply to @ManSinah which describes this more.

I very much appreciate your reply, and I also value your input. I think we agree a lot more than you give me credit for at this time.

But I in the long term, I hope you will see that I am not willfully ignorant of the truth.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Listen - @dybmh - I am the first to defend the rights of others - but let us face facts - part of the reason India has the second largest sheer number of Muslims is because of forced conversions a few hundred years ago - now whether the Qu'ran has lines to justify that or the rulers came up with that all on their own - I have not studied it yet - but please do not go pretending it is not possible or did not happen - Christianity and Islam have both done this - not all the adherents in the Middle Eastern countries converted because they liked the faith.

Most respectfully, when looking at the behavior of "Muslim Rulers" in history, many people focus on the label "Muslim" and ignore the label "Rulers". The problem is not Islam. It is a people problem. People who are in power. People who "Rule".

Power corrupts people. This is why we have term limits on the executive branch of the American Government. It hasn't eliminated the corruption, but that was its intention. Its purpose was to prevent the President of the United States from becoming a "Ruler".

I believe that Islam is not evil. I believe that Muhammad might have been a good person. He might even be accurately described as "sweet".

That doesn't make me an apologist.

I 100% accept that forced conversion happened and still happens. I am 100% aware of the immoral behavior people do in the name of Islam and in the name of Muhammad.

But my approach is not apologetic, nor is it willfully ignorant. It is a practical very long range approach to removing the Qur'an and Muhammad from the hands of Terrorists and immoral people who are using them to support their immoral behavior and intentions.

I think that the Qur'an and the Hadiths are being used by immoral people to recruit, to radicalize, and to support their own immoral pursuits. But that does not mean the Qur'an is evil or bad in any way. Same goes for Muhammad. I think that the lessons and themes in the Qur'an and the life story of Muhammad are being corrupted by dangerous people.

I think this has been going on for a very long time.

I think that the Qur'an has verses in it which are easy to corrupt and easy for immoral Rulers to use to maintain and increase their power in their region. And that is the pattern you and others are accurately observing.

But I propose that the same behavior would be happening by "Christian Rulers" "Catholic Rulers" "Jewish Rulers" if those rulers are immoral and have been corrupted by power, money, and politics.

The Abrahamic Beliefs, all of them, have elements in their scripture which can be corrupted and used to subjugate the minority and to collect power by the few, the wealthy, and the elite.

The New Testament has the least ( if any ) parts that can be easily used to support an immoral power seeking Ruler. The Old Testament has some verses which are a problem if mistranslated and taken out of context. And the Qur'an has the most verses out of the three, forgive me Muslims, than can be used by immoral people to support themselves, their quest for power, and to recruit others to help them carry out their pursuits.

The natural reasonable logical response to this is: "Let's get rid of the Old Testament and the Qur'an; if they are gone, the problem is solved."

And I think that is the approach of many people. I think many people have been trying that approach for a very, very long time. And it hasn't worked.

There's many possible reasons for this. But the reasons don't matter.

In America there is an expression about insanity. What is the definition of Insanity? It is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result.

People have been trying to stomp out Islam from its inception. And it hasn't worked. It has been like stomping on a mushroom, ignoring the cloud of spores, and being frustrated at the end result. The end result is a whole field of mushrooms.

Many mushrooms, by the way, are healthy, tasty ( IMHO ), and beautiful. Some of them are bizarre, and some of them are deadly.

But if you don't want the dangerous ones to grow, and stomping them out only makes more mushrooms... don't keep doing the same thing over and over and expect a different result. That is the definition of insanity.

Not only that, it's cruel. Mushrooms are alive.

Instead. First, Identify the dangerous mushrooms. Then isolate them. Be kind to them, because they are alive. Treat them with respect. Even if they seem bizarre, don't stomp on them. For the simple reason... it makes things worse.

This is my approach. Don't stomp on Islam.

Learn about Islam. Learn the Qur'an. Learn how to identify dangerous dominant people. Limit their power. Take away the verses they use to recruit, radicalize, support their immoral behavior. Render those verses inert thru exposure and education.

Change the dynamic of the region. Provide water, food, shelter, health care, education.

Recognize that Peace is not just the end goal. It is an ongoing process that needs its own support system.

All that sounds good... right? What does that have to do with me, Daniel, aka dybmh, on this forum?

What I am doing right now?

I am supporting peaceful Muslims. I am learning from them and I am using that knowledge to help communicate what is in their hearts and minds which is:

Islam is not evil.
Muhammad wasn't evil.
Religion is not the problem.

Dominant, intolerant, immoral people are the problem when these people become **Rulers**.

I'm not saying **Rulers** are evil either. I think they are dangerous. As long as they do not gain too much power, it's OK. But If they gain too much power, and too much money, for too long, that's a big problem. When this happens, it's just a matter of time before the power corrupts them.

And that is what you and others, I think, have accurately observed in the "History of Muslim / Islam as Rulers". You are observing what happens when dominant, immoral people get too much power and these people hold that power for too long.

If Islam didn't exist, these immoral dominant people would still exist. They would find other Religions to recruit and support their behavior.

Would we be better off without and any Religion? I think Atheists would say, yes. I would say, no. I think most people would agree with me.

Really it doesn't matter from a practical perspective whether or not the world would be better off without Religion, because, I don't think that's ever going to happen.

Because of that and in light of all of this, I certainly hope that you won't think my approach is apologetic. It is not. It is analytical, and it is practical.

I know very well the situation we are in. I am not willfully ignorant of the reality of the immoral forced conversions to Islam. I am fully aware of the mistreatment of women, the lack of human rights, and human dignity that is excused and promoted by people who claim to be Muslims.

And I don't think it's right. I am not apologizing for it. Not even a little bit.

The point I am trying to make is this:

The immoral behavior: I don't think it's supported in the Qur'an. I don't think it was intended by Muhammad. From my research it seems like Muhammad might have been a good person.

If anything, that makes me Optimistic not Apologetic. And that is true. I admit it. I can't help it. It is my bias. I am fortunate to have been raised in an environment which encouraged a very childish, foolish, optimistic perspective on everything.

It is a flaw in many areas.

But not here.

Here it is an asset. Because I can look at Muhammad and the Qur'an the same way so many peaceful Muslims do.

I can see it as a good Religion that has value and merit. I can understand why so many people like it. And I can use my talents to support them in their pursuit to deal with this global problem where cruel, dominant, immoral people are using their Religion to collect and maintain power.

Last edited: