• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Hidden World of Campus Conservatives

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I was thinking of BYU as I typed that post, but that was all I could think of. Who else is there?

edited to add: I'm thinking of universities started explicitly to counter the liberal agenda. Have it in their mission statement. Funded by the kocks
Liberty University is certainly one. Oral Roberts is another. There are lots of smaller ones, especially those founded and operated by conservative religious organizations and denominations. Some are pretty good sized, but they are rarely among the largest, which tend to be state universities.

esmith

Veteran Member
I think soon we're going to have conservative universities,
I think we do have "conservative" schools of higher learning
My Choice is The Citadel established 1842
Now from Source
  1. Texas A&M University – College Station, Texas
  2. Thomas Aquinas College – Santa Paula, California
  3. Grove City College – Grove City, Pennsylvania
  4. College of the Ozarks – Point Lookout, Missouri
  5. University of Dallas – Irving, Texas
  6. United States Merchant Marine Academy – Kings Point, New York
  7. Auburn University – Auburn, Alabama
  8. Hampden-Sydney College – Hampden-Sydney, Virginia
  9. Brigham Young University – Provo, Utah
  10. Hillsdale College – Hillsdale, Michigan
  11. Wofford College – Spartanburg, South Carolina
  12. Clemson University – Clemson, South Carolina
  13. United States Military Academy – West Point, New York
  14. Wheaton College – Wheaton, Illinois
  15. United States Naval Academy – Annapolis, Maryland
  16. United States Coast Guard Academy – New London, Connecticut
  17. Gordon College – Wenham, Massachusetts
  18. Angelo State University – San Angelo, Texas
  19. Kansas State University – Manhattan, Kansas
  20. Baylor University – Waco, Texas

LittlePinky82

Try living in the south where it's reverse. :relieved: I think it depends on where you live. I only went to a CC school but I never had any problems with people and I'm pretty left wing lol. I had political and legal classes with discussions and the professors were always encouraging of people talking. Even one prof I had who was pretty clear he was a Democrat but he always was great about discussions and challenging people and I personally never heard of any bias unless it was his own personal opinion. As long as you had a clear view and could defend it etc. His personal philosophy was to always try to understand other sides and he talked about how when he was working on his education he had to read Marx, Hitler, etc and how it really helped him to have a more open mind etc. My main legal professor seemed more libertarian/moderate type of person and his wife was a Democrat who actually had ties to the national Dems like the Clinton's and McGovern lol. Sometimes he would tell his opinion about things with the law and honestly as long as it's in with the lesson and can teach something valuable to people and doesn't go against what is being taught than I'm not against introducing ideas. It really just depends on what's being talked about and discussed. But it definitely can help you in your own argument by understanding the other side. Me understanding conservationism more (especially living in the south and around conservatives all the time) has helped me with my own arguments. To challenge myself and my views and over time I've gotten more left wing lol and I try to do better with my arguments and opinions. Here in the south religion has really helped to **** **** up with the school systems imo over time but mostly the standardized testing has really f'd things up. Thanks NCLB! Smh.

As far as standardized testing mentioned in the OP it's not about whether or not students are learning. It's clear, to me imo, they aren't because the schools are so focused on beating test scores they just care about the scores and not actually learning and educating. I know I was lucky I had a great education imo and I hope we can change how it is now and make it more about education and less about meeting scores to keep funding for schools. The two shouldn't be tied at all because this is what we get with education imo.

Last edited: