• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Hard Question

Parsimony

It don't see why it would be. Qualia are quite mysterious but I don't see how they invalidate or challenge science.

deeoracle

I think it is qualia which relegates science to a monetized form of myth building, and I am being nice when I say Myth building -

deeoracle

subjectivity of Conscious experience should be science enough that the constructs within which we experience 'reality" arepliable residual of our own naive imagination

outhouse

Atheistically
subjectivity of Conscious experience should be science enough that the constructs within which we experience 'reality" arepliable residual of our own naive imagination

Has nothing to do with the reality of science. It is another unknown aspect of the conscious mind, a descriptive term for what we don't know.

outhouse

Atheistically
perhaps it would,, because it questions the materialistic vacuum in which science occurs

It does not question anything as of such, unless one perverts the definition, which itself is highly subjective and open to interpretation as vague as imagination.

outhouse

Atheistically
We can dance around word salad all day long, because that is all the term qualia is. Word salad of philosophical nature.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
subjectivity of Conscious experience should be science enough

Vernacular that demonstrates a gross misunderstanding of how the sciences work.

There are subjective realities, and the objective reality. The objective reality is unreachable by subjects, as per definition. However, some subjective realities are closer in accuracy to the objective reality than others; they're not all equally accurate.

In this case, exactly what consciousness even is is still in the process of being determined and adequately defined.

deeoracle

and that is exactly why it is so profound for all to understand that in the case of qualia- if it is to be define- even in the most finite of ways it opens a pandora box on the "hard' determinations of science driven by materialism

Levite

Higher and Higher
Is Qualia to science what Evolution is to Religion?
Does it reduce all of our theories and believes to nothing?

But...evolution doesn't reduce my religious beliefs to nothing. It doesn't reduce them in any way. In fact, it doesn't reduce the religious beliefs of nearly anyone I know-- no one who isn't a fundamentalist literalist, and fundamentalist literalists are a minority of religious people. Actually, I would say that evolution enhances my religious beliefs.

So, in any event, why should the existence or valuation of qualia reduce the value of science to nothing? It seems to me that, at best, it says that there are still things that science has yet to fully explain (an idea with which I would imagine most scientists would concur), or at worst, it says that there are some phenomena best dealt with outside the scientific paradigm.

But even that latter case should only appear threatening to science if you feel that each and every phenomenon of experience, both internal and external, physical and metaphysical, intellectual and emotional, concrete and abstract, should be approached and understood exclusively using scientific methodology. If one does not take such a position, but instead is willing to grant that there may be things which science is not the best tool for, just as there are also things for which it is the best tool, then there should not be anything about the existence or valuation of qualia at all to be deemed threatening to science.

deeoracle

there are some phenomena best dealt with outside the scientific paradigm.
I hope this is a consensus view- if it is anything otherwise, if there is an organized monetized pattern of rejecting such a paradigm- then we must call science into question as a biassed form of intelligence

outhouse

Atheistically
then we must call science into question as a biassed form of intelligence

Science is methodology, not really a form of intelligence.

Doo you have another method better then reporting on observations?

Or do you propose we imagine what we should know?