• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Haifa Factor

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
I don't believe I need to provide any evidence beyond what most of you certainly already know when I say that Haifa is an example for the rest of Israel. It is a city where Jews, Muslims, and Christians have lived together peacefully with few exceptions since many Palestinians were allowed to return after being expelled in the 1940s.

It is a city without institutionalized racism, without walls between neighborhoods, and so on. It really is, as far as Israel goes, a wonderful city that can provide the hope and the potential reality of a happy and prosperous life for all of its citizens.

Now, my question then is...

Why? And do you believe the strong Bah'ai influence in Haifa has anything to do with this?

I can vouch for the fact that a city's smallest minority can have a tremendous impact. I've shared much of the story of Sarajevo's Jewish community and there are countless aspects of life in Sarajevo that would not have been the same had they not lived here and continued to live here. So I have no problem imagining that the Bah'ai people have had a tremendous impact on the society of Haifa.

I remember during this last war, when Jews were fleeing Haifa to go to Jerusalem. There were so many articles in the Israeli press about how disgusted they were with Jerusalem and how ironic it was that they were coming there to find peace when, for the people of Haifa, Jerusalem is a symbol of conflict.

So to what do you give the credit of Haifa's success? Obviously there are many factors, but I'm most interested in Bah'ai in this thread. What has been its effect, in your opinion?

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
There's one point I think has had an effect that I'd like to share. The Bah'ai Gardens in Haifa occupy a central point in the city and can be viewed from almost anywhere. The same is true of Sarajevo's Jewish Cemetery and I've read more than few times in journals and articles about how, during the WWII years, people would pass the cemetery every day, or see it from whatever point in the city they gazed up at the hills, and it served as a constant reminder that kept people thinking not only of their own suffering. It reminded them there's more than just them. I've heard the same about Gazi Husrev-begova Mosque many times as well.

So perhaps just living in an Isreali city where neither Jewish-only settlements nor gutted Palestinian villages occupy the hill tops has an effect. I know when the UNIS towers in Sarajevo were repaired, people felt as though a weight had been lifted off their shoulders. Seeing these twin towers gutted, hovering above the city always, was a constant irritant. Having them repaired allowed people to move on. I think the same can be said of the Bah'ai gardens.

It also keeps the two main sides in this conflict at bay. Neither Jews nor Muslims nor Christians occupy the main space in Haifa. The main space is the Bah'ai Gardens. I think it keeps them humble, it keeps them more on equal footing. The Arabs are not looking up at lawns with sprinklers while they're allowed just two hours of water a day. All of this has an impact.

I think these are some of the ways Bah'ai has affected Haifa.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Djamila said:
Why? And do you believe the strong Bah'ai influence in Haifa has anything to do with this?

I don't know, but the members of the Universal House of Justice and the Baha'is around the world say prayers for everyone in Haifa.

We may serve as a reminder that people from other religions and cultures can get along. Groups of Baha'i pilgrims are unmistakable in the city, because it's not common anywhere else for people from radically different backgrounds to do the common everyday things together, like getting food or riding on the bus.

I remember during this last war, when Jews were fleeing Haifa to go to Jerusalem. There were so many articles in the Israeli press about how disgusted they were with Jerusalem and how ironic it was that they were coming there to find peace when, for the people of Haifa, Jerusalem is a symbol of conflict.

Well, Jerusalem does have the problem of being a most holy place for three major religions. I often think we are very fortunate that we have no claim to that city. That keeps us out of the fray, and we need to stay out of any sort of fray in order to do the work Baha'u'llah commanded us to do.

So to what do you give the credit of Haifa's success? Obviously there are many factors, but I'm most interested in Bah'ai in this thread. What has been its effect, in your opinion?

Honestly, I have not gone on pilgrimage yet, though if I'm very lucky my son might get to do a Year of Service there, and then I can probably get permission to visit.*

I really cannot say what effect our presence has had in Haifa, though it does seem that all the residents of every background are very interested in living together in peace.

*Baha'is cannot visit Israel unless they are on pilgrimage, and that schedule is managed by the Universal House of Justice in Haifa. They can only live there if they are working as staff in Haifa. Very brief visits can be made to immediate family members. This would be nice if it were possible, as my neighbor would love for us to visit their parents in Akka also.

arthra

Baha'i
Thanks Djamila for your post!

Djamila asked:

My comment:

I really can't say for sure about the effect of Baha'is is in Haifa... There have been Baha'is in and around the area including Akka since the 1870's.

The "Baha'i Gardens" area are to us the Shrine of the Bab a center of pilgrimage and the administrative center of our Faith. We are not to proselytize our Faith there and if anyone wants to become a Baha'i in Israel they must first leave the country and enroll elsewhere.

Baha'is are basically politically neutral and don't participate in political affairs and this has been our principle from the beginning.

- Art

arthra

Baha'i
Djamila wrote:

It is a city where Jews, Muslims, and Christians have lived together peacefully with few exceptions since many Palestinians were allowed to return after being expelled in the 1940s.

My comment:

You know Djamila that there are different views on what occurred in 1948 when Israel was established... One view is that an impending invasion by the surrounding Arab states and the recommendation of the Grand Mufti led many Muslim Arab people to flee their homes and businesses but in Haifa area the Jews living there pleaded with many Arabs to remain...some did and some returned later. So I think the basic relationships of the Jews and Arabs in Haifa were on a better footing than maybe in other places..but I can't really say this for sure.

Baha'u'llah we believed convinced the Turkish administrator of Akka to repair the acquaduct thus providing fresh water to the area.

During the First World War when there were food shortages in the Haifa area, Abdul-Baha worked to see that people received supplies...for this He was Knighted shortly after WWI.

At the beginning of WWII there was a German colony in Haifa of Christian "Templars" as they are called that was expelled by the British for fear of sympathies with Germany ... I don't know if many Baha'is are aware of this...

Residents of Haifa for some time, these Germans were expecting the Return of Christ and had mottos above their doors that are still visible saying "The Lord is Nigh" - The Lord is near at hand...

Baha'is generally have respected the governments which have administered the area (Akka-Haifa) from the time of the Ottoman Empire.

The acquisition of property on Mount Carmel was a slow gradual process over quite a few years....

- Art

kai

ragamuffin
maybe its because its not on the west bank or Gaza Acre is similar is it not
Akko has one of the higher proportions of non-Jews of any of Israel's cities, including roughly 45 percent Christians, Muslims, Druze and Baha'is. The city is a magnet for tourists and the home of the country's steel industry. It also produces exports including iron, chemicals, and textiles.

WIKI

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Certainly the fact that people in Haifa don't live under the most severe military occupation and martial law in the world has an effect. lol

arthra

Baha'i
Oh that "Haifa".. You're more up on that aspect of the culture than I am.

I did visit the old city of Akka though and it is very fascinating as it has vaults under the City with crusader touches still in evidence like the "fleur de lis". On a rainy we visited the Mosque and I left my umbrella outside.. It cleared up though and I think my umbrella may still be there after all this time...

- Art

:cloud9:

arthra

Baha'i
Thanks for posting that Djamila!

If you click the photo you posted you can get an enlarged view.. just above the Shrine of the Bab down the avenue is a row of red tile roofs and I think those are the buildings use by the German Christian group that was there up until WWII.

There are also some great pics at

http://www.bahaipictures.com/

some of them are panoramic 180 % like you are there!

- Art

:rainbow1:

Cosmos

I am sorry but if any Baha'i or otherwise truly believes that Israel is that peaceful... doesn't watch the news (not that's a bad thing) or doesn't pay attention to it. My friends, Israel is in the middle of breaking United Nations protocols continuously with terrorist attacks on both sides erupting! Let us not deceive ourselves for the sake of an illusory sense of grandiosity of our religions. Israel/Palestine has been a work in-progress not only since its inception as a nation-state but since the 20th Century itself.

My question is: What is Haifa doing about the crisis in Israel/Palestine? No doubt that Israel of the Old World is a great example to the East of multiculturalism and religious diversity, but like the United States of America of the New World, we too are an example to the world that still has many obstacles to hurdle before we can sit back, sigh, and chat about what a wonderfully free country it is!

We need to stay reminded that Israelis are stealing Palestinian land. Racial and religious animosity still remains. We need to improve both the Old/New world environments.

I personally believe that if the Universal House of Justice in Haifa was doing more of what it was supposed to be doing there would be real justice in the world, instead of placating to UN interests for the sake of the posterity of our Baha'i World Centre. Although the Baha'i Community agreed with the Israeli Government to withhold proselytizing in Israel, we are not doing what was instructed of the international community to complete, which is the Supreme Tribunal or Baha'i World Court that is to have Baha'i Law implemented and accepted in an international court of law. Actually making ourselves sovereign with State Powers will make the world a better place, rather than existing as a symbolic figurehead with no authority in whitewashed tombs (no disrespect to the Shrines themselves).

Last edited:

Marco19

Researcher
Hi Cosmos!

I'm just wondering what is your point there? :confused:

i mean could you please tell your sect (religion, faith ... however you call it) perspective, instead of attacking others

in the end this is not a debate section, and it would be nice to understand your point of view (if you have) ...

Thank you!

Cosmos

I am a Baha'i, dear Marco, and I did not attack anyone. I merely stated the naivety and glibness I've observed amongst fellow Baha'is, online and offline, concerning the actual reality of the world around us and the current crisis enveloping the Baha'i Community that is being hidden underneath the veiled rugs of our history. My point is that the parallels between the Old World (Israel) and the New World (the Americas) is one of major importance in reflecting on our situation globally. Racial and religious strife is dividing humanity at an accelerated pace and it is silly to really call Israel an example to the world anymore than America is today! Our example is that through mutual cooperation and consultation we can achieve new levels of insight and compassion for one another, but it is still a work in progress and by far not a completed effort worth boasting, as racism nor sectarian violence has rid itself in either region. My criticism is also towards our Baha'i leadership in Haifa who to my knowledge has not done enough to remedy the Palestinian-Israeli crisis or to ascend administrative prerogatives with a World Court (i.e. Supreme Tribunal). What I am saying is that rather than pretend that the Baha'i Faith has made everything all better, I choose to look past our planting trees, hosting children classes, and guest speaking at the United Nations--important and fundamental as they are and which I participate to the best of my efforts--to the real issues of emancipating Baha'is and non-Baha'i citizens under oppressive regimes, establishing Baha'i Law and State as sovereign and independent, and amending the schism within the Baha'i World! When Israel is truly peaceful, then the entire Eastern Hemisphere shall cease to be at war, as well.

Marco19

Researcher
Hello Cosmos!

i'm happy to have a respond,
well i know you are, but just to not confuse i said your faith, because as i guess you belong to (BUPC).

However, what i'm interested as you may notice from my title, that i like to research, so being objective is important, and what you have done so far is attacking UHJ, without mentioning what BUPC is doing so far regarding the cases which you have been talking about?

Therefore is it possible to leave UHJ because you are not member of that faith,
and talk how your faith BUPC is contributing to make a true peace in the Old World (as you mentioned)?
How BUPC is going to establish Bahai law?
How BUPC will unify the entire world? what are the tools which you prefer to use?

to make this discussion more interesting, do you mind if i ask for references from your books, which supports your statement?

Thank You!

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
My criticism is also towards our Baha'i leadership in Haifa who to my knowledge has not done enough to remedy the Palestinian-Israeli crisis or to ascend administrative prerogatives with a World Court (i.e. Supreme Tribunal). What I am saying is that rather than pretend that the Baha'i Faith has made everything all better, I choose to look past our planting trees, hosting children classes, and guest speaking at the United Nations--important and fundamental as they are and which I participate to the best of my efforts--to the real issues of emancipating Baha'is and non-Baha'i citizens under oppressive regimes, establishing Baha'i Law and State as sovereign and independent, and amending the schism within the Baha'i World! When Israel is truly peaceful, then the entire Eastern Hemisphere shall cease to be at war, as well.
Speaking about peaceful and oppressive nations, its interesting to note that the oppressive regimes to Baha'i are nations like Iran, from which the original Baha'i leadership have fled and in which Baha'i believers are persecuted and thrown into prison, while Israel gives home to the spiritual and administrative heart of the Baha'i.

Cosmos

Criticism is not an attack, Marco. I know your are taught to feel attacked whenever anyone dares to criticize Haifa, but this is not a personal attack to anyone. I am glad you asked me what exactly the BUPC is doing--and by the by... it's not a 'faith' any different than any other Baha'i.

That merely shows the absolute lack of said "objectivity" inherent within the 'mainstream' Baha'i community who has in my own very person attacked other Baha'is. None of that changes my involvement in my local Baha'i community. To answer your question, BUPC has and is winning court case after court case that the vast majority of Baha'is are completely oblivious about. BUPC has won against the U.S. NSA in the 6th District Court and Haifa in the UN international courts! While relatively small as an organization in comparison to the World Centre properties, what is being done is a legal battle (which we are winning) to spread the teaching efforts around so that more and more Baha'is and non-Baha'is become informed and educated as to the actual facts surrounding our Faith's Successorship.

The methods and tools we use are no different than what Baha'is are already engaged in. Difference being the capacity of knowledge in comparison to the Rocky Mountain UHJ Council and Haifa. And while Israel may give a 'home' to the Baha'i Faith, that is irrelevant to the facts of Israel's crimes or current situation. That's called... placation.

In the end... I know that no one here is going to truly investigate. There is no objectivity. But I can hope that the case may change and Baha'is will actually do some independent investigation of the truth outside of an authority figure--such as a Counselor or LSA--explaining what history is supposed to mean for them.

BruceDLimber

Speaking about peaceful and oppressive nations, its interesting to note that the oppressive regimes to Baha'i are nations like Iran, from which the original Baha'i leadership have fled and in which Baha'i believers are persecuted and thrown into prison....

The "original Baha'i leadership" didn't flee: it was executed for practicing the Baha'i Faith!

Peace,

Bruce