• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Green Academy Awards... Enviromentalists only!!!

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
OK... I was impressed. I was impressed with how many people were moved by "An Inconvenient Truth" and by Al Gore. Is he the BEST choice for the Green Movement? He was spoofing his own possible bid for the presidency... but I think it just might be the right time for him to go for it one more time.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Scuba Pete said:
OK... I was impressed. I was impressed with how many people were moved by "An Inconvenient Truth" and by Al Gore. Is he the BEST choice for the Green Movement? He was spoofing his own possible bid for the presidency... but I think it just might be the right time for him to go for it one more time.

One of the things I got from Inconvenient Truth was Gore realizing that as part of the gov't he was unable to do much to effect change.

He's done more about climate change with this one movie than he could hope to do as President.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Booko said:
One of the things I got from Inconvenient Truth was Gore realizing that as part of the gov't he was unable to do much to effect change.

He's done more about climate change with this one movie than he could hope to do as President.

That was mine and my husbands thoughts while watching it. He has reached a much more far-reaching audience, and people who are willing to listen now.

Booko

Deviled Hen
beckysoup61 said:
That was mine and my husbands thoughts while watching it. He has reached a much more far-reaching audience, and people who are willing to listen now.

The people are going to have to lead on this one. When our so-called "leaders" realize that it's an issue we care about, they will pay attention.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Booko said:
The people are going to have to lead on this one. When our so-called "leaders" realize that it's an issue we care about, they will pay attention.

I'm trying to...hopefully this summer I'm going to be able to set up a "Green Party Association" at my university. That's my hopes at least.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Scuba Pete said:
Well if by "people" you meant the warm ovation that he got from the Oscar audience, remember who they are - Hollywood liberals! They are the worst kind, dontcha know? ;)

Seriously, I wouldn't take Hollywood as a guage of how the the rest of America feels about "An Inconvenient Truth" or Al Gore. What does make me think that "An Inconvenient Truth" reached a lot of people was its box office success, and I remember news stories about how well it did in traditionally more conservative areas.

As for the possibility of a Gore candidacy, if he does run it will be as a Dem, not the Green Party. And as much as I want him to run, I agree with Booko and Becky that if he does run, he won't be able to focus on environmental issues the way he does now.

What impressed me most about Gore tonight was his ability to stay on message. Aside from some much appreciated humour, every speaking chance he got, he reminded us to do something about climate change. He put the focus on the issue, not on himself.