• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The good in seeing a friend again after weeks with no contact

Cherub786

I suppose the two, greetings and comforting, can be separated, and as such I doubt it would matter much as to how we greet each other. I wouldn't like to see any lessening of physically comforting others though, since there does seem to be more benefits from doing so than any deficits. But you have your religious beliefs to adhere to, and as such we have to accommodate them, even if we might see them as not having a proper basis - in human nature.

Again, I'm speaking of hugging and handshaking as a cultural expression of greeting. I'm not talking about comforting a friend, or hugging your child. I'm all for that. As I said, we Muslims do the most handshaking within our own community:

It is narrated in a Hadith that once the Prophet Muhammad kissed his two grandsons, Hasan and Husain (peace be upon them). A certain Bedouin came up to him and said: "I have ten children and I don't kiss any of them".
The Prophet replied:

مَنْ لاَ يَرْحَمُ لاَ يُرْحَمُ
Whoever doesn't show mercy will not be shown mercy

and in another version:

وَأَمْلِكُ أَنْ كَانَ اللَّهُ قَدْ نَزَعَ مِنْكُمُ الرَّحْمَةَ
What can I do if God has taken mercy away from you?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Just want to say to my Muslim friends here.
Yes she might have broken a form of rule or etiquette, but she did what she did from her heart. If that is wrong then maybe it is time she convert away from Islam?
And no I am not against Islam. And will not ask her to convert. But she follow her religion in her own way. She's think for her self and has a family that let her think for her self.
She do not need a male guardian to tell her what she can't do, she already know.
She is a free woman, not a slave of her male family members.

She is a Sunni Muslim by the way.

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Again, I'm speaking of hugging and handshaking as a cultural expression of greeting. I'm not talking about comforting a friend, or hugging your child. I'm all for that. As I said, we Muslims do the most handshaking within our own community:

It is narrated in a Hadith that once the Prophet Muhammad kissed his two grandsons, Hasan and Husain (peace be upon them). A certain Bedouin came up to him and said: "I have ten children and I don't kiss any of them".
The Prophet replied:

مَنْ لاَ يَرْحَمُ لاَ يُرْحَمُ
Whoever doesn't show mercy will not be shown mercy

and in another version:

وَأَمْلِكُ أَنْ كَانَ اللَّهُ قَدْ نَزَعَ مِنْكُمُ الرَّحْمَةَ
What can I do if God has taken mercy away from you?

We probably have little to disagree over then. :D