• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The God of the Gaps Argument

Are "God of the Gaps" arguments valid?

• Yes

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 28 77.8%

• Total voters

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
No, Try reading post 135 instead of your in correct understanding. Augustus is stating what I'm stating, as far as I can tell.
The beliefs of every atheist I know are diametrically opposed to the actions of Stalin. You argued as if Stalin should be relevant to modern atheists. I assumed you were trying to say something on-topic and took my best crack at an inference. Maybe you should clarify what you meant.

I think you're glossing over some valid arguments that aren't based on double standards:

- training people to accept beliefs or follow authority uncritically - even if the beliefs they're being trained with are benign in and of themselves - can make them vulnerable to being misled by people who present them with harmful beliefs.

Harmful beliefs can just as easily be the result of logic, evidence and reason. We make decisions based on bounded rationality which frequently leads to the wrong result.

I'm a bit sceptical of this idea, and think it would be pretty difficult to demonstrate its validity scientifically due to the difficulties in isolating variables.

when a person proclaims that they uphold a creed that justified violence or harmful acts in the past, they take on that legacy of violence and harm. I can't take someone seriously who tells me that he believes that the entire Bible was inspired by God and then turns around and says that his beliefs have nothing to do with people who took parts of the Bible like "do not suffer a witch to live" seriously. OTOH, atheism has no creed; the creeds of individual atheists vary, and the creed of a modern skeptic, freethinking, secular humanist is not the same creed as Stalin, Pol Pot, or any of the other nasty atheists who theists like to trot out when they feel threatened.

Atheism is a belief not an ideology though. It isn't a valid comparison really.

Almost all major ideologies carry around significant amounts of baggage. Do those who advocate democracy and human rights have to accept the Iraq War on their conscience even if they bitterly opposed it?

Why should a 21st C Quaker pacifist have to carry the entire history of Christianity on their shoulders?

Religions can be used to mean pretty much whatever you want them to mean.

They support such a wide range of interpretation that there is no real value in considering any of them a unified ideology. Considering things which happened in a different time, context and place as part of the same ideology is even more meaningless.

Witch hunts have existed in all societies, and practitioners of black magic are still being killed today. This isn't necessarily because 'god told me to kill them', but because people believe in magic and its harmful effects.

As a someone who is not religious, I don't feel responsible for communism. I also don't feel that a modern Christian should feel responsible for what happened in the 11th C either. Religious believers can and should be criticised if they support or condone immoral acts, but when they don't they shouldn't be held accountable for alternative interpretations.

If someone wishes to generalise though and criticise others for beliefs they don't hold and thoroughly condemn just because they are nominally 'Christian' or 'Islamic', then they can't pretend that a flip side to this line of reasoning is equally legitimate.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
From the way you talked about "atheism" as some sort of monolithic thing, and from the way you gave the example of Stalin as if it should be relevant to the atheists in this thread.
I was responding to someone's blanket statement that there were no instances where atheists ever harmed anyone. I was providing evidence to the contrary. If I gave the impression that I was referring to atheism as some sort of monolithic block, I apologize, as that was not my intent. My intent was that some atheistic regimes quite actively harmed theists and other religious people and institutions, specifically because they saw religion as backward and an impediment to achievement of their view of what society should be like. It was not their only motivation, but it was among their motivations.

Stalin had a mustache. I have also have a mustache (along with a beard); why didn't you take that angle? It would be just as relevant to our shared motives as our shared atheism is.

So... you agree that modern atheists you bump into who advocate things like secularism (i.e. advocating no special treatment OR persecution on the basis of religion), freethought (i.e. upholding the right of people not to have beliefs forced on them), and humanism (i.e. acknowledging that all people have intrinsic value and are worthy of respect)
might not be motivated to round up you and your family and ship them off to prison?

I'm not sure where to start with this. Stalin's regime may have discouraged theism - and therefore been "atheistic", but calling it "one kind of atheism" is as much of a mistake in thinking as calling a red car "one kind of the colour red" and trying to link this with other red objects (watch out for that red hat! Red can be dangerous - my cousin was run over by a red Chevy!).
Your portrayal of my reasoning here reflects poorly on your ability to understand what others are saying. The statement was made that there were no examples of atheists causing harm based on their atheism; I was providing historical and current examples of individuals/groups who persecuted theists and other religionists because of religion vs. atheism, as well as social, political and economic reasons, many of which were closely related to their atheism. If you are so afraid that accurate historical evidence might damage your modern/different version of atheism, that is YOUR problem, not mine. I pointed out that it was "one kind of atheism" BECAUSE it is different from modern humanistic/secular/freethought atheism, which seems to be your orientation.

Again, that some other atheists could advocate things that are unacceptable to your version of atheism invalidates either their, or your, atheism?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I was responding to someone's blanket statement that there were no instances where atheists ever harmed anyone.
No one ever claimed this, though. It was stated that no one harms people in the name of atheism, but who on earth would contend that no atheist has ever harmed anyone. Could you have misread their claim? Can you cite what you are talking about?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
The beliefs of every atheist I know are diametrically opposed to the actions of Stalin. You argued as if Stalin should be relevant to modern atheists. I assumed you were trying to say something on-topic and took my best crack at an inference. Maybe you should clarify what you meant.
What I was responding made no mention of "Modern" versus any other kind of atheist. See my post 143. Stalin et al are relevant because they were atheists--that they are/were different than modern western secular/humanist atheists is irrelevant.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
What I was responding made no mention of "Modern" versus any other kind of atheist. See my post 143. Stalin et al are relevant because they were atheists--that they are/were different than modern western secular/humanist atheists is irrelevant.
Even Stalin didn't harm people in the name of Atheism, though. His pursuit was for political power, which included taking power away from organized religions. But, in no way was his end game to merely spread atheism or act on its behalf.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
No one ever claimed this, though. It was stated that no one harms people in the name of atheism, but who on earth would contend that no atheist has ever harmed anyone. Could you have misread their claim? Can you cite what you are talking about?
No, that sounds like what I read, too. Stalin etc., used the excuse/reason of atheism for their actions regarding religious individuals and institutions. I don't see how you can say they weren't doing it in the name of their atheism, even if they also had political and economic and social reasons for doing so, when they themselves cited the necessity of atheism for their future goals.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What I was responding made no mention of "Modern" versus any other kind of atheist.
Any atheist you might be addressing in this thread is a modern atheist.

... or were you thinking of some future atheists who might unearth an archive of RF posts and read it then?

See my post 143. Stalin et al are relevant because they were atheists--that they are/were different than modern western secular/humanist atheists is irrelevant.
The red hat is relevant to the red Chevy because they're both red.

BTW: post numbers aren't shown on the mobile version of the site.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
No, that sounds like what I read, too. Stalin etc., used the excuse/reason of atheism for their actions regarding religious individuals and institutions. I don't see how you can say they weren't doing it in the name of their atheism, even if they also had political and economic and social reasons for doing so, when they themselves cited the necessity of atheism for their future goals.
It's a simple difference. Stalin and his cronies were using atheism and anti-theism as tools for their political purposes. The horrors they perpetrated were not done in the name of atheism, they were done in the name of their political aspirations. Otoh, look at the Middle East. There are many countries where horrors are done in the name of religious beliefs, outlawing certain behaviors and demanding punishment for things they BELIEVE God sees as unacceptable. That's the difference ... Stalin's aim was to gain power for himself and his party, not atheism. Whereas many religious people act in the name of their religious beliefs explicitly.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Even Stalin didn't harm people in the name of Atheism, though. His pursuit was for political power, which included taking power away from organized religions. But, in no way was his end game to merely spread atheism or act on its behalf.
I see, and any action by any religion or state that cites religion as a reason for doing something is ONLY doing in the name of religion? Of course not, everyone has multiple motivations, and in the political and economic realms, religion and social views play into political and economic actions. I am saying that atheism was ONE of the motivations, and was an argument used by Stalin etc., to do things to break the political and economic and social power of religion.

@9-10ths_Penguin , sorry about the post numbers...didn't know it didn't show, and didn't know that you were on mobile...

Any atheist who knows or wants to know about the history of atheism should know about what some people did IN PART in the name of a version of atheism that they probably don't personally hold. They may not like it, but it is history.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I was responding to someone's blanket statement that there were no instances where atheists ever harmed anyone.
No, you weren't. This all started with a claim about atheism as a motive, not about atheists harming people.

I was providing evidence to the contrary. If I gave the impression that I was referring to atheism as some sort of monolithic block, I apologize, as that was not my intent.
I don't believe you. When you say that the differences between Stalin and secular humanists are "not relevant", I can only conclude that you intend to tar them all with the same brush.

My intent was that some atheistic regimes quite actively harmed theists and other religious people and institutions, specifically because they saw religion as backward and an impediment to achievement of their view of what society should be like. It was not their only motivation, but it was among their motivations.
I think you need to do a better kob of understanding the motives of modern atheists and the "new atheism" movement. It would make no sense to try to combat authoritarianism and denial of the freedom to think and believe as we please by replacing religious authoritarianism with a non-religious authoritarianism.

Your portrayal of my reasoning here reflects poorly on your ability to understand what others are saying. The statement was made that there were no examples of atheists causing harm based on their atheism; I was providing historical and current examples of individuals/groups who persecuted theists and other religionists because of religion vs. atheism, as well as social, political and economic reasons, many of which were closely related to their atheism.
The fact that they held positions that were incompatible with theism doesn't mean that their positions were "derived from" atheism.

If you are so afraid that accurate historical evidence might damage your modern/different version of atheism, that is YOUR problem, not mine. I pointed out that it was "one kind of atheism" BECAUSE it is different from modern humanistic/secular/freethought atheism, which seems to be your orientation.
... but again: you argued as if it has something to do with atheistic viewpoints in general; something that you've still failed to justify.

Again, that some other atheists could advocate things that are unacceptable to your version of atheism invalidates either their, or your, atheism?
If you rephrase this so it's parsable, and explain what it would mean for atheism to be "invalidated", maybe I'll be able to answer.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
It's a simple difference. Stalin and his cronies were using atheism and anti-theism as tools for their political purposes. The horrors they perpetrated were not done in the name of atheism, they were done in the name of their political aspirations. Otoh, look at the Middle East. There are many countries where horrors are done in the name of religious beliefs, outlawing certain behaviors and demanding punishment for things they BELIEVE God sees as unacceptable. That's the difference ... Stalin's aim was to gain power for himself and his party, not atheism. Whereas many religious people act in the name of their religious beliefs explicitly.
They act in the name of their religious beliefs so they can have and hold political and economic and social power. Religion is one of several contributing beliefs that lead to policies and actions. Making a distinction because one is religious and one anti-religious is disingenuous. Power is power, and it comes from ideological, political, religious, economic and social sources. The people in the Middle East who are pushing religion are doing so because their interpretation of the religion allows them to have social, economic and political power--no different than Stalin, Mao and company.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Any atheist who knows or wants to know about the history of atheism should know about what some people did IN PART in the name of a version of atheism that they probably don't personally hold. They may not like it, but it is history.
It's irrelevant.

The "history of atheism" is no more of a coherent thing than the history of "not Confucianism" is, or the history of "not fascism" is. Even if we're talking about people who "actively disbelieve" in these concepts (to use Thana's term), the people who actively disbelieve in gods don't hold anything more in common than those who are actively disbelieve in Confucianism or actively oppose fascism.

Just as we don't try to lump all opponents of fascism in with Stalin (who was definitely an opponent of fascism) or call both communism and democracy "kinds of anti-fascism" as if they have something to do with each other, it's just as foolish to do this with atheism or even anti-theism.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
... but again: you argued as if it has something to do with atheistic viewpoints in general; something that you've still failed to justify.
No, I don't believe I ever said or implied that it has anything to do with atheistic viewpoints in general, and certainly not to modern/humanistic/secular atheism--which I note, Stalin and the like might have agreed with in principle, but the evidence is they did away with anyone who did not support their state atheism, including many anarchists; I was providing evidence of historical/current cases where atheism is an important part of the social/political/economic theory of certain individuals and governments.

Its you that seems to have a problem with the fact that some atheists took state action to harm people; I'm simply pointing out that it did happen.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
It's irrelevant.

The "history of atheism" is no more of a coherent thing than the history of "not Confucianism" is, or the history of "not fascism" is. Even if we're talking about people who "actively disbelieve" in these concepts (to use Thana's term), the people who actively disbelieve in gods don't hold anything more in common than those who are actively disbelieve in Confucianism or actively oppose fascism.

Just as we don't try to lump all opponents of fascism in with Stalin (who was definitely an opponent of fascism) or call both communism and democracy "kinds of anti-fascism" as if they have something to do with each other, it's just as foolish to do this with atheism or even anti-theism.
Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree. It's just as foolish to lump all theisms and religions together, on the exact same basis as you are pointing out: not all Christians have the same political, social and economic beliefs, not to mention differences in their religious beliefs. Religious actions are also motivated by political, social and economic desire for power, just as your argued differences in atheism--which I am not disagreeing with, btw. Your argument that Stalinism, Maoism, etc., "wasn't really atheism" just doesn't hold water--it was just different atheism. But it was STILL atheism, because it was a denial of the existence of gods and other religious ideas.

Stalin and his cronies were using atheism and anti-theism as tools for their political purposes. The horrors they perpetrated were not done in the name of atheism, they were done in the name of their political aspirations.

Sorry, but this attitude is frequently wheeled out and needs to be corrected.

Atheism was an absolute fundamental principle of Soviet Communism. It wasn't a little add on to further political ambitions, it was as central to their ideology as God is to jihadis.

And when you have organisations called 'The League of Militant Atheists', it is hard to argue that they weren't doing it in the name of atheism.

There's a whole thread somewhere full of communist political theory that supports this view.

Stalin was more of a pragmatist though and willingly abandoned this ideology when it suited him and he needed the Church to help during WW2.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
@beenherebeforeagain : treating atheism as if it were a motivator and therefore in part responsible for the mistakes of Stalin and the like... just does not make any sense.

I think you are attempting to draw a parallel between theism and atheism, but it is not at all reasonable to do so. One is a motivating belief. The other is its absence.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree. It's just as foolish to lump all theisms and religions together, on the exact same basis as you are pointing out: not all Christians have the same political, social and economic beliefs, not to mention differences in their religious beliefs.
Of course. I've only ever advocated holding people to the implications of the beliefs they actually hold, the creeds they actually proclaim, and the traditiond they explicitly adopt.

For instance, I wouldn't hold a Protestant or a Mormon to account for the misdeeds of the Catholic Church, for instance. But I will ask Catholics who proclaim the authority of the office of Pope to reconcile this position with all of the times when that authority was used to subjugate peoples to slavery.

Religious actions are also motivated by political, social and economic desire for power, just as your argued differences in atheism--which I am not disagreeing with, btw. Your argument that Stalinism, Maoism, etc., "wasn't really atheism" just doesn't hold water--it was just different atheism.
Have you read a single word I said? When you rephrase my arguments like this, you show that you completely missed the point.

But it was STILL atheism, because it was a denial of the existence of gods and other religious ideas.
Stalin's regime was atheist, but it makes no more sense to call it an example of "atheism" than to call a red car an example of "redness".

One is a motivating belief. The other is its absence.

Your atheism is a belief, not an absence of a belief. I'm pretty sure this can be proved scientifically, and would be confirmed by a neuroscientist.

And people's beliefs regarding the likely non-existence of god certainly motivates a lot of people on this forum.

I find the intense desire of some atheists to deny their atheism constitutes a belief bizarre. It is completely inconsequential.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Sorry, but this attitude is frequently wheeled out and needs to be corrected.

Atheism was an absolute fundamental principle of Soviet Communism. It wasn't a little add on to further political ambitions, it was as central to their ideology as God is to jihadis.
Atheism was certainly necessary for Soviet communism; it was incompatible with theism. However, it was not derived from atheism, since atheism itself leads to no other conclusions than a lack of belief in gods.

And when you have organisations called 'The League of Militant Atheists', it is hard to argue that they weren't doing it in the name of atheism.
I think you - and sone of the other posters here - have some very strange ideas about what atheism is. Here's the thing about atheism: it's a conclusion, not a foundation.

Personally, I arrived at atheism through skepticism. Other people have arrived at atheism via other paths. However they artived at it, though, things done "in the name of atheism" are actually done on the basis of their motivations FOR atheism, not atheism itself, since atheism itself isn't even a position; it's just the lack of acceptance of a theistic position. Even anti-theism is a position about a single claim and allows for a huge diversity of paths to it.