• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Globe Earth is Heresy - let's talk!

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Let's keep the Eratosthenes conversation on the Eratosthenes thread. I directly refuted the 3 hole argument there.
No, you didn't. You used an incredibly dishonest argument. That is not a refutation. If you want to rely upon refraction you need to show how in your model refraction can cause the observed refutation. A picture of a straw in a glass does not cut it.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I had that discussion with someone above :) but that is correct, you would need three holes from what I understood.

But if one extra hole is all that is needed for the flat earth model to fall apart it is not really all that sound and doesn't change the original issue. Which is that all experiments and observations have to support a flat earth otherwise it is not valid.
Unfortunately he has me on ignore. Refraction can bend light. But his photo of a straw in a glass only acknowledges that fact. He needs to show how refraction could do this in his model. All he did was to post a picture and wave his hands that is not a refutation. In the globe model we can explain why refraction is not an issue at higher angles. He has to be able to explain how refraction is an issue in his model. That would be a refutation.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Fantastic, we both agree that the Bible is a flat earth book! COMMON GROUND ACHIEVED :heavycheck:
We did that the first time I replied to you.

And at that time I gave you >this link< to an earlier post of mine which sets out the bible's cosmology in its own words ─ the cosmology of Babylon, in which the earth is flat, either as a disk or as a tabletop, is immovably fixed so that the heavenly bodies go round it, is covered by the sky ─ the firmament ─ which is a solid dome you can walk on, and to which the stars are attached so that if they come loose, they'll fall to earth, and so on.

I also mentioned that in that cosmology there's no concept of a spherical earth ─ this first appears among the Greeks around 500 BCE ─ nor of gravity, nor orbits, nor satellites, nor heliocentry, nor the planets as planets, nor the solar system, nor deep space, nor stars, nor galaxies. Nor was the nature of meteors, comets, eclipses, understood.

Do you happen to know where that hill is, somewhere in Judea or Galilee, from which you can see all the cities of the world (Matthew 4:8)?

Oh, and another question occurred to me ─ on a flat earth, how is it that the poles are cold and the equator is hot, since there's no important difference in their distance from the sun? (In your own words, please, not a video or link.)

Mark Charles Compton

Pineal Peruser
I also mentioned that in that cosmology there's no concept of a spherical earth ─ this first appears among the Greeks around 500 BCE ─ nor of gravity, nor orbits, nor satellites, nor heliocentry, nor the planets as planets, nor the solar system, nor deep space, nor stars, nor galaxies. Nor was the nature of meteors, comets, eclipses, understood.
"Egyptian astronomy began in prehistoric times, in the Predynastic Period. In the 5th millennium BCE, the stone circles at Nabta Playa may have made use of astronomical alignments. By the time the historical Dynastic Period began in the 3rd millennium BCE, the 365 day period of the Egyptian calendar was already in use, and the observation of stars was important in determining the annual flooding of the Nile." - Egyptian astronomy - Wikipedia

"Astronomy in China has a long history stretching from the Shang dynasty, being refined over a period of more than 3,000 years. The ancient Chinese people have identified stars from 1300 BCE, as Chinese star names later categorized in the twenty-eight mansions have been found on oracle bones unearthed at Anyang, dating back to the mid-Shang dynasty. The core of the "mansion" (宿 xiù) system also took shape around this period, by the time of King Wu Ding (1250–1192 BCE)" Chinese Astronomy - Wikipedia

"A 32,500-year-old carved ivory mammoth tusk could contain the oldest known star chart (resembling the constellation Orion)." History of astronomy - Wikipedia

I highlighted in red where uncertainty is left. While most of your accusation of our ancestors' lack of knowledge/understanding is accurate, it contains inaccuracies as well.

Personally, I wouldn't presume how little or how much someone understands something without substantial evidence, of which most has not and could not have survived this long. It's come to our understanding that the Neanderthal had larger brains than ours and were likely more intelligent and socially adept. I'm just saying that our understanding of their understanding, has changed... and this underestimation of other or overestimation of self isn't an uncommon error.

For centuries (if not still today) we taught students using orreries or images such as the following:
1690427808530.png
1690427870183.png

Does this mean we actually believe the solar system look like the simplified models?

We teach/taught students that molecules and atoms are:
1690428298878.png
1690428340660.png

We don't lack understanding of these structures even though these models are inaccurate to the actual reality. However, our descendants could very well come to such a conclusion, if there were limited surviving archeological evidence to our civilization after we destroy it.

I'm not so certain our ancestors lacked understanding of much of the natural world they inhabited. I think credit is deserved where credit is due, and all of our modern sciences are birthed from religious literature and world views. Without those idiots, we couldn't be the idiots we are today. :sunglasses:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
"Egyptian astronomy began in prehistoric times, in the Predynastic Period. In the 5th millennium BCE, the stone circles at Nabta Playa may have made use of astronomical alignments. By the time the historical Dynastic Period began in the 3rd millennium BCE, the 365 day period of the Egyptian calendar was already in use, and the observation of stars was important in determining the annual flooding of the Nile." - Egyptian astronomy - Wikipedia

"Astronomy in China has a long history stretching from the Shang dynasty, being refined over a period of more than 3,000 years. The ancient Chinese people have identified stars from 1300 BCE, as Chinese star names later categorized in the twenty-eight mansions have been found on oracle bones unearthed at Anyang, dating back to the mid-Shang dynasty. The core of the "mansion" (宿 xiù) system also took shape around this period, by the time of King Wu Ding (1250–1192 BCE)" Chinese Astronomy - Wikipedia

"A 32,500-year-old carved ivory mammoth tusk could contain the oldest known star chart (resembling the constellation Orion)." History of astronomy - Wikipedia

I highlighted in red where uncertainty is left. While most of your accusation of our ancestors' lack of knowledge/understanding is accurate, it contains inaccuracies as well.

Personally, I wouldn't presume how little or how much someone understands something without substantial evidence, of which most has not and could not have survived this long. It's come to our understanding that the Neanderthal had larger brains than ours and were likely more intelligent and socially adept. I'm just saying that our understanding of their understanding, has changed... and this underestimation of other or overestimation of self isn't an uncommon error.

For centuries (if not still today) we taught students using orreries or images such as the following:
View attachment 79995View attachment 79997
Does this mean we actually believe the solar system look like the simplified models?

View attachment 79998View attachment 79999
We don't lack understanding of these structures even though these models are inaccurate to the actual reality. However, our descendants could very well come to such a conclusion, if there were limited surviving archeological evidence to our civilization after we destroy it.

I'm not so certain our ancestors lacked understanding of much of the natural world they inhabited. I think credit is deserved where credit is due, and all of our modern sciences are birthed from religious literature and world views. Without those idiots, we couldn't be the idiots we are today. :sunglasses:
A couple of points. He was talking about evidence of a belief in a spherical Earth and none of your sources supported such a belief. Second no one is accusing the ancients of being idiots. Knowledge is accumulative. We are always adding on to the knowledge from the post. The greatest scientists in history have acknowledged this Newton was well known for this quote:

"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.”

Pointing out that people in the past had less knowledge of this world than we do is not attacking them. It is simply an observation. They were often the first to begin this accumulation of knowledge. It had to start somewhere.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member

View attachment 79995View attachment 79997

View attachment 79998View attachment 79999

The sins of excessive compression and omitted doubts and possibilities are unfortunately consequences of trying to be brief. I naturally regret any offense to the informed reader.

Still, my linked list of bible quotes deals with what the authors of the Tanakh ─ and indeed the NT ─ thought was the case cosmologically; and my point was that it's not what we ─ well, most of us ─ now think is the case.

InChrist

Free4ever
Hi, I am Kyle Adams. I am a flat earther - sincerely, not kidding - and I run the Flat Earth Institute of Science.
There are numerous flat earth references found throughout the Bible I list many of them in my video here, let's talk about them.
I don’t think there are actually any references to a flat earth in the Bible. I’ve always wondered if the earth is really flat, as you believe, where is the edge? Why has no one seen the edge, gone over or beyond the edge, or documented it? With the technology available now there certainly should be more images and information on this subject.

Mark Charles Compton

Pineal Peruser
what the authors of the Tanakh ─ and indeed the NT ─ thought was the case cosmologically

He was talking about evidence of a belief in a spherical Earth and none of your sources supported such a belief.
Pointing out that people in the past had less knowledge of this world than we do is not attacking them. It is simply an observation.
First, I must clarify, I am not speaking towards the knowledge of the majority of the population. Rather my focus is on those of the highest rungs of society.

I see it very akin to how the layman reads a journal headline, such as "The universe is not locally real, and this Nobel prize paper proves it." That headline is media-minded hyperbole and is a misinterpretation and misrepresentation of the actual implications of the paper. However, a large portion of the population are unaware of what exactly is being implied in the paper and read take the headline at face value. The experts understand what their paper entails, the laymen often do not.

The ancient oral stories could have easily been similarly misrepresented when they were first introduced to the stylus and clay, whether through simple ignorance or done intentionally for secrecy or to maintain control. "Milk for the babes, meat for the men." Is an ancient idea, that the majority of the population is not prepared for reality. The intentional repression of knowledge or information is still a mainstay of society today. Perhaps it was employed here?

I just am uncertain how certain we can be of how they thought of cosmology, as people from history immemorial demonstrated accurate (albeit basic) understandings of a system's functionality, possibly more than you seem to credit the ancient Hebrew scholars.

Last edited:

Flat Earth Kyle

For repeated rule 4 violations - posting off topic comments - you have been added to the ignore list.

Flat Earth Kyle

A total divergence from the OP, but I think we've (thankfully) gotten to the humor phase of the thread.

I don't know how many of you read the Xanth books by Piers Anthony? They had the "adult conspiracy", which was keeping the secret of "summoning the stork" (sex) from children. There was also the "chlidren's conspiracy" which was children hiding the fact that they knew perfectly well but didn't want to upset adults by letting them know.
For repeated rule 4 violations - posting off topic comments - you have been added to the ignore list.

Mark Charles Compton

Pineal Peruser
This guy... Rofl.

He places this reply on a comment where I am literally arguing against the Bible being a Flat Earth book... Which is more on topic than his... "demands that only the words he approves of shall be uttered within these halls!!!"

Last edited:

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
First, I must clarify, I am not speaking towards the knowledge of the majority of the population. Rather my focus is on those of the highest rungs of society.

I see it very akin to how the layman reads a journal headline, such as "The universe is not locally real, and this Nobel prize paper proves it." That headline is media-minded hyperbole and is a misinterpretation and misrepresentation of the actual implications of the paper. However, a large portion of the population are unaware of what exactly is being implied in the paper and read take the headline at face value. The experts understand what their paper entails, the laymen often do not.

The ancient oral stories could have easily been similarly misrepresented when they were first introduced to the stylus and clay, whether through simple ignorance or done intentionally for secrecy or to maintain control. "Milk for the babes, meat for the men." Is an ancient idea, that the majority of the population is not prepared for reality. The intentional repression of knowledge or information is still a mainstay of society today. Perhaps it was employed here?

I just am uncertain how certain we can be of how they thought of cosmology, as people from history immemorial demonstrated accurate (albeit basic) understandings of a system's functionality, possibly more than you seem to credit the ancient Hebrew scholars.
As I said, the cosmology of the bible is that of Babylon, and is set out in the bible's words (RSV translation) on that link. Had I found any contradiction of them I would have included that too. The ideas are not noticeably different from Genesis to Revelation.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Is there any way to check if I have really been ignored by this rather silly person? I can't see anything on either my or his profile.

Obviously he can ignore me if he wishes, I have no problem with that.
When someone refutes him he does put people on them on ignore. And he usually tells them, Except in my case. I refuted him elsewhere (I did not need to be so polite there) I saw his claim that he was putting you on ignore so you probably are.

Just continue as if he could still reply to you. I think that it probably bothers him to no end that putting others on ignore does not mean that their posts go away.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member