• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The gift of tongues

sblack77

Ok, so I am really curious on peoples thoughts on this. Do you believe that someone can do this? If so, is it something that happens when you want it to or is it something that only happens when something important needs to come out?? I am surely tetering on this subject, and I just find it hard to believe that someone can just start speaking an unknown languag at the snap of a finger.....:shrug: thanks!

Prometheus

Semper Perconctor
Ok, so I am really curious on peoples thoughts on this. Do you believe that someone can do this? If so, is it something that happens when you want it to or is it something that only happens when something important needs to come out?? I am surely tetering on this subject, and I just find it hard to believe that someone can just start speaking an unknown languag at the snap of a finger.....:shrug: thanks!

Christians believe in talking snakes and donkeys, so why not?

Runlikethewind

Monk in Training
Christians believe in talking snakes and donkeys, so why not?
Wow I didn't realize I believed in that! Unless your making a generalization of all Christians based on what some Christians believe.
As for speaking in tongues I am uncertain on the question myself. I would tend to agree that it is not something that someone can do at the snap of a finger and is probably a direct gift from God at each individual occurrence and only occurs when something important needs be said. I might also think that it is a much rarer gift than it seems to be made out to be, happening everyday in some Churches or to some people. But that is my opinion who is to question the Holy Spirit if that is really what is going on? I don't know I guess I am just uncomfortable with the stereotypical view of people flopping around on the ground babbling away in some divine tongue every Sunday night down at the local charismatic church. Maybe those types just kind of give the whole idea of speaking in tongues a bad rep for me. Just like believing that all Christians believe the earth is 6000 years old or that all Christians believe in talking snakes and donkeys might turn someone off to Christianity. Maybe I need to give speaking in tongues another look and get over my stereotypical view of it. Maybe others need to try and get over their stereotypes of Christians....

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Speaking in tongues is something I have heard of, but never been around to see it happen; it strikes me as somewhat "unlikely" - I would have thought that it would obviate the purpose of giving a message if it is in an unknown tongue.......

The only thing I can think of that comes anywhere near the subject is the supposed "automatic handwriting" that psychics claim to do. Again, I have never seen it done, but it is always in the language of the psychic (as far as I know).

RevOxley_501

the only way i ever pray now is in tongues

its one thing about my faith that im certain of...

darcyr

I have seen videos of this and it is absolutely ridiculous. It is one of the funniest things I have ever seen or heard.

I speak fluent drunkenese as well and it sounds more reasonable than speaking tongue!

darcyr

I think this is absolutely hilarious to listen to and to watch.
I speak fluent drunkenese which makes more sense than speaking tongues

Bishka

Veteran Member

In my own personal belief, I don't believe in the non-sensical tongue speaking. In my view, tongue is an already known language; and to have the gift of tongues is to be able to speak clearly, ablely and confident in a language; whether it be one you already know, or one you do not know. I see this gift constantly being bestowed upon the LDS missionaries of my Church. Some of them have such trouble with languages (as they are preparing to go on a mission), but with the Spirit of the Lord and the gift of tongues, they are able to speak the language.

Prometheus

Semper Perconctor
Wow I didn't realize I believed in that! Unless your making a generalization of all Christians based on what some Christians believe.

Did I say, "All Christians?" No. I only said "Christians." This could mean two Christians for all you know. Don't put words in my mouth.

And for everyone else offended by my statement, what I said is true. I can dig up the verses if you like. I'm trying to point out that the Bible says a lot of silly things. So anyone who doesn't believe in the gift of tongues but believes in any of the other miracles of the Bible, like a man raising from the dead, for example, is really confusing to me.

Runlikethewind

Monk in Training
Did I say, "All Christians?" No. I only said "Christians." This could mean two Christians for all you know. Don't put words in my mouth.
Yes I realized this later when I was thinking about it that you where not specific and I merely interpreted it to mean all and not some or even two. I was in fact putting words in your mouth and I apologize for this.

sblack77

Ok so here's the thing, I started at a church so that my children could have a good bible study class. It is very hard for me growing up without the bible teachings to have any kind of faith what so ever, yet when i am in need He is the only one I call on, so there must be some sort of faith in me somewhere regardless. This past week many people including two of the pastors start speaking this jiberish stuff, but, it all sounded the same, almost like these people are taught this, and its not an actual blessing from the holy spirit. It partly really turned me off, but, I love the praise and worship they do as well as the bible teachings, I guess I should just ignore the rest.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
i'm not at all convinced on the subject of speaking in tongues.

in my religion, communication with Deity and spirits is common place, but communication is meant to be understood, and the Deities and spirits communication in our tongue. the need for another tongue that we don't understand is surplus to requirements in my religion :)

Dream Angel

Ok Im not sure on the speaking a language you dont know part, but I have learnt somewhere (I cant remember how) that it is possible to speak in tongues... and there are certain people who can train themselves to speak two languages at the same time etc etc. I dont know how.. but apparantly its a scientific fact. I guess its like those people who swallow swords practising so they dont have the gag reflex..

Interesting topic though! :)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm surprised Yuvgotmel hasn't posted on this thread.

I believe the speaking in tongues was blended into Christianity back when it started to take over, and many religions brought thier own practices into it.
The theories for go deep, and are very interesting, myself, I wouldn't be able to explain them that well though.

Booko

Deviled Hen
I don't know I guess I am just uncomfortable with the stereotypical view of people flopping around on the ground babbling away in some divine tongue every Sunday night down at the local charismatic church.

I've always been kinda skeptical about it myself. I don't mean that there is no such thing as a gift of tongues of some sort, but rather that the modern practice has anything to do with it.

I thought St. Paul, in his epistle that deals with the subject of "gifts" said that if there was no one around to hear the language and understand it, it would be better to be silent.

Years ago I read a paper concerning linguistic analysis of people speaking in tongues. The phonemes in cases like that pretty well match the phonemes of the speaker's native tongue. If you've ever heard any real foreign languages, you know there are sounds in those that just don't show up in our language, and the further away from Germanic languages you get, the more different some of those phonemes get.

Imagine someone speaking in a tongue related to an Asian language. It would sound nothing like ours, to anyone with an ear.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
In my own personal belief, I don't believe in the non-sensical tongue speaking. In my view, tongue is an already known language; and to have the gift of tongues is to be able to speak clearly, ablely and confident in a language; whether it be one you already know, or one you do not know. I see this gift constantly being bestowed upon the LDS missionaries of my Church. Some of them have such trouble with languages (as they are preparing to go on a mission), but with the Spirit of the Lord and the gift of tongues, they are able to speak the language.

That would seem to me to be an entirely sensible view of it, and likely to be the truth.

As to tongues being the ability to speak gibberish.... I think it is just that.

This is a matter that has devided churches for a long time and still does. As for me this is one of the things that reasures me that the bible is true. Speaking in toungs is a very powerfull tool for any christian. I speak in toungs and i think it lines up with what is said in the new testermint. It might sound like giberish to those who dont understand it but its just the holy spirit living inside us speaking.