• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Gethesemane Myth

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
The NAB, a Catholic translation, St. Joseph's edition, is a much better translation than the Christian KJV translation.
Ben

Then why did you quote from the KJV? As for the translation I use, the NRSV, it is an interfaith translation. As in, Jewish scholars also participate in the translation.

Ben Masada

Then why did you quote from the KJV? As for the translation I use, the NRSV, it is an interfaith translation. As in, Jewish scholars also participate in the translation.

Because I usually deal more with Christians. Therefore, I use the KJV, but when it contradicts beyond the supportable level, I go for another translation.
Ben

Ben Masada

We're not debating logic -- we're debating the validity of your statement. A Hebrew translation is not inherently "better," "more reliable," or "more trustworthy" than any other translation, given the variables involved.

Not true at all. A Hebrew translation as well as the Hebrew interpretation of a Hebrew text is inherently better, more reliable and more trustworthy than the translation or interpretation given by a foreign religion.
Ben

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Not true at all. A Hebrew translation as well as the Hebrew interpretation of a Hebrew text is inherently better, more reliable and more trustworthy than the translation or interpretation given by a foreign religion.
Ben
I use a Hebrew translation. Even the Christian translation I use had Jews doing the OT.

More so, I look at the Hebrew interpretation (there isn't just one, as you should know), and base my opinion off that. So both of your points fail.

Ben Masada

I use a Hebrew translation. Even the Christian translation I use had Jews doing the OT.

More so, I look at the Hebrew interpretation (there isn't just one, as you should know), and base my opinion off that. So both of your points fail.

My points do not fail until you bring up a quotation from the Jewish translation and I compare with the ones I have here. Till then, you are going to hold your rooster from singing on the dung.
Ben

Last edited:

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
My points do not fail until you bring up a quotation from the Jewish translation and I compare with the ones I have here. Till then, you are going to hold your rooster from singing on the dung.
Ben
So we are to believe your position based on nothing, yet when we say something, we have to give you the whole world in order to prove what we are saying?

Your points do fail. I'm using a Jewish translation. I look at the Jewish interpretations. So you really hold nothing special, and to claim such is ridiculous. Especially when we aren't even talking about a subject concerning the Hebrew scripture, but actually the Greek NT.

Ben Masada

So we are to believe your position based on nothing, yet when we say something, we have to give you the whole world in order to prove what we are saying?

Your points do fail. I'm using a Jewish translation. I look at the Jewish interpretations. So you really hold nothing special, and to claim such is ridiculous. Especially when we aren't even talking about a subject concerning the Hebrew scripture, but actually the Greek NT.

The Greek NT uses the Hebrew Scriptures even too much. So, you must quote as I do quite too often.
Ben

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
The Greek NT uses the Hebrew Scriptures even too much. So, you must quote as I do quite too often.
Ben
When reading the Greek NT, the Hebrew Scriptures do not effect the reading. It may effect the context, and the background, but not what the NT states. More so, many of the NT writers were not using the Hebrew Scripture as is seen in the actual Hebrew, but the Greek translation of the Scripture.

Really, you have no logical point though in stating that your translation and understanding is better.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Because I usually deal more with Christians. Therefore, I use the KJV, but when it contradicts beyond the supportable level, I go for another translation.
Ben
What does the KJV translation have, particularly, to do with Xians any more than, say, the NRSV?

Ben Masada

Ben

There is no where in amy Hebrew translation that a Jew was born of God with an earthely woman? Only in Greek Mythology. And there is no such a thing in Judaism.

Ben