• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Forum Clock

artie

OK. Here are the time stamps of the last 5 posts:

11:51 AM
11:52 AM
11:53 AM
11:54 AM
11:55 AM

Now let's take a closer look at what qualities come with temporal order. :)

artie

OK. Here are the time stamps of the last 5 posts:

11:51 AM
11:52 AM
11:53 AM
11:54 AM
11:55 AM

Now let's take a closer look at what qualities come with temporal order. :)

Well, there is numerical order. So anyone seeing this might think in terms of "order". And this numerical order can transcend language barriers. Numbers are used to communicate order. So I have communicated a concept of order without the use of a language that could be subjectively interpreted. I communicate order in spite of the topical element being completely disordered!! Ha!!!

artie

Without any topical content, suppose you and I posted a jumbled up mass of disorganized letters, such as "kabgtaerughlgaerlgb", but we each posted in alternate minutes, so that you posted all of the odd numbered minutes and I posted all of the even? We could then communicate as a coordinated team, a spatial and temporal order, because the even minutes would all belong to me while the odd to you. And a spatial order would appear upon the page which could be seen visually, for the posts would appear in a form of ABABABAB, and the viewer would see the underlying agreement we had made. This order would appear to anyone regardless of the language they spoke. A japanese speaking person could view and understand the concept of order communicated by us. Again, we would communicate that order whether we had organized our topical content or not. Even in a disagreement, we would communicate order.

artie

Furthermore, the objective and the agreement is quantifiably measureable. And because it scales to groups, it gives us criteria for group behavior that can be objectively evaluated.

artie

We still don't quite have our finger on what qualities a temporal form brings to the discusion. e eliminated the topical order but now find the temporal entwined with spatial order. Here are a couple of examples of alternate posting (AB AB AB...). One is a chat and the other a conversation or discussion. Of necessity, ordinal posting, or use of the space in an ordinal manner will be accompanied with temporal elements.

One thing - our lonely little timestamp is not noticeably pronounced in the post frame. It does not even get a bold type. What if it appeared as a link? So we could go to every other post that was identically timestamped? Scrolling through the thread, I could click a timestamp and be taken to our search engine that would return results with the timestamp emphasized. The timestamp would also appear in the search field for a quick edit.

So let's take a timestamp that includes seconds, say, 12:09:27. All posts with that timestamp would appear. To expand my search I could backspace and remove the last second 12:09:2 and our search engine would give us all of the posts that occurred from 12:09:20 until 12:09:29. To expand it further, I could backspace again 12:09: and I would get everything in that minute 12:09:00 to 12:09:59. I could expand the search further by editing the timestamp - 12:0 would return everything stamped from 12:00:00 to 12:59:59 (everything within the 12th hour).

But what would we do with this information? What does it tell us?

I am still on the qualities of temporal order and I do feel that I am getting closer. Time is a measuring device. What do we measure with time? :)