• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The FLOOD, God's Great Failure?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
The fact that he failed to successfully change humanity by wiping virtually everyone off the face of the earth is no opinion. Biblewise that's a fact. And to me, failure is counter to any definition of omnipotence I've ever seen.
Again... I would have to disagree... Our church is filled with changed humanity. As He created people with free will, it is up to each individual to decide whether or not they want to be part of a changed humanity.

Additionally, it was about getting Jesus into the earth (by Christian understanding) to be the change agent. He accomplished that too.

And I recognize that, but I would ask those people if his failure, as I've pointed out, is an act of an omnipotent god. Wouldn't an all-powerful god have succeeded? And in turn wouldn't any such a failure be a mark of incompetence?

in·com·pe·tence
inˈkämpədəns/
noun
noun: incompetence; plural noun: incompetences
inability to do something successfully; ineptitude.
God was unable to successfully change humanity, and that he sought to do so is evident in having saved Noah and his family.

I would disagree on your interpretation of omnipotence. An omnipotent God can create individuality and free will because He is omnipotent. In as much as He isn't finished yet, your judgment on a work in progress is simply your viewpoint (as if you were omnipotently wise in your judgment). People don't usually judge a car that is being manufactured but rather judge the finished product.

As it was so fitly said by a famous believer "The good work that He has begun, He is well able to complete it".

As an omnipotent God, your timeframe is irrelevant because He IS omnipotent to decide the timeframe of completion.

So I would still disagree with your logic and interpretation of the facts at hand.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Again... I would have to disagree... Our church is filled with changed humanity. As He created people with free will, it is up to each individual to decide whether or not they want to be part of a changed humanity.

Additionally, it was about getting Jesus into the earth (by Christian understanding) to be the change agent. He accomplished that too.
So what? What does this have to do with god's failed attempt to rid the earth of wickedness with his flood?

Genesis 6:
5 The Lord observed the extent of human wickedness on the earth, and he saw that everything they thought or imagined was consistently and totally evil. 6 So the Lord was sorry he had ever made them and put them on the earth. It broke his heart. 7 And the Lord said, “I will wipe this human race I have created from the face of the earth.​

I would disagree on your interpretation of omnipotence. An omnipotent God can create individuality and free will because He is omnipotent.
So what?

In as much as He isn't finished yet, your judgment on a work in progress is simply your viewpoint (as if you were omnipotently wise in your judgment). People don't usually judge a car that is being manufactured but rather judge the finished product.
Okay, but this still doesn't excuse his flood-blunder. A truly all-powerful (omnipotent) god would not have failed to successfully change humanity by wiping virtually everyone off the face of the earth, as he tried to do.

As an omnipotent God, your timeframe is irrelevant because He IS omnipotent to decide the timeframe of completion.
Moving the goal posts may be convenient, but it's irrelevant to the issue at hand.

In any case, are you denying that he failed in his attempt to rid the earth of wickedness? A simple "Yes" or No" will suffice.

So I would still disagree with your logic and interpretation of the facts at hand.
Then tell me what's wrong with my logic, WITHOUT SHIFTING THE TOPIC OFF OF THE FLOOD.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
So what? What does this have to do with god's failed attempt to rid the earth of wickedness with his flood?

Genesis 6:
5 The Lord observed the extent of human wickedness on the earth, and he saw that everything they thought or imagined was consistently and totally evil. 6 So the Lord was sorry he had ever made them and put them on the earth. It broke his heart. 7 And the Lord said, “I will wipe this human race I have created from the face of the earth.​

So what?
:D As the story of Thomas Edison goes after his helper said after 1,000 failed attempts at the light bulb "Don't you get discouraged after failing 1,000 times?"

He replied, "No, I haven't failed, I have found 1,000 ways it won't work and I am that much closer to get it to work". (Paraphrased)

You are the helper that has the wrong perspective.

Through the flood He opened the door for Abraham who opened the door for Jesus who opened the door for humanity. A 100% successful endeavor.

Okay, but this still doesn't excuse his flood-blunder. A truly all-powerful (omnipotent) god would not have failed to successfully change humanity by wiping virtually everyone off the face of the earth, as he tried to do.
Please go back and review the difference between your definition of omnipotence and mine. Both are omnipotent but the results are different.

Moving the goal posts may be convenient, but it's irrelevant to the issue at hand.
:D your goal posts are wrong.

In any case, are you denying that he failed in his attempt to rid the earth of wickedness? A simple "Yes" or No" will suffice.
I believe that is EXACTLY what I said. What part was not clear? Jesus clears the wickedness of man and the flood was part of the process

Then tell me what's wrong with my logic, WITHOUT SHIFTING THE TOPIC OFF OF THE FLOOD.

I already have.... but it is obvious that no matter what is said, you ain't moving. :D

Skwim

Veteran Member
:D As the story of Thomas Edison goes after his helper said after 1,000 failed attempts at the light bulb "Don't you get discouraged after failing 1,000 times?"

He replied, "No, I haven't failed, I have found 1,000 ways it won't work and I am that much closer to get it to work". (Paraphrased)

You are the helper that has the wrong perspective.

Through the flood He opened the door for Abraham who opened the door for Jesus who opened the door for humanity. A 100% successful endeavor.

Please go back and review the difference between your definition of omnipotence and mine. Both are omnipotent but the results are different.

:D your goal posts are wrong.

I believe that is EXACTLY what I said. What part was not clear? Jesus clears the wickedness of man and the flood was part of the process

I already have.... but it is obvious that no matter what is said, you ain't moving. :D

Have a good day.