• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The first people...

Tristesse

Since one has to indulge in fantasy to know who the first speaking humans were or even the first humans were, then you'll get as many different answers as there are imaginations. ;) I'd like to know who the first speaking humans were and why they had absolutely nothing to say about their parents, grandparents and ancestors who didn't have vocal chords. :biglaugh:I would have love to have heard their stories about their ancestors who supposedly occupied the earth for billions of years which is of course, much longer than humans of recorded history have been here. So why haven't we heard about those people?:confused:

What the are you talking about? I couldn't find one coherent sentence in your statement. I have yet to meet anyone who thinks the human species is billions of years old. If thats what you were even saying, it was hard to follow your comment.

nonbeliever_92

Evolution is not a belief, it is a science, just like physics and chemsitry. You don't "believe" in sciences, they are end products of the scientific method.

Utter nonsense. The fact that one believes based on evidence does not change the fact that one believes in the first place.

Evolution is a belief, more specifically, it is a theory. However, the difference between a scientific theory and a religious/spiritual belief is that science has to be supported by evidence. Religious/spiritual belief almost inevitably ends up being based on faith, which is belief without evidence. And a theory is a belief where varifiable evidence can be presented to support it.

Mr Cheese

The closest I've heard to something like that is the notion that at some time during the course of evolution, God gave the first souls to the first two people to have souls, named Adam and Eve.

I think the idea of some paradigm shift within humanity is a good idea here.

Really though I think there is more allegory than history in adam and eve...
especially as, if one digs deep enough, there are many versions of the Eden tale...

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Evolution is a belief, more specifically, it is a theory. However, the difference between a scientific theory and a religious/spiritual belief is that science has to be supported by evidence. Religious/spiritual belief almost inevitably ends up being based on faith, which is belief without evidence. And a theory is a belief where varifiable evidence can be presented to support it.
Uncontested. All I'm saying is you either believe it or you don't, there's not a third option. Well, indecision, but you know what I mean.

Mr Cheese

not having read this entire thread...

one thing that bears mentioning, pre homosapiens have shown evidence of relgion...

Mr Cheese

Well actually this is untrue....

when thousands of years of people.... all reach essentially the same conclusions, despite creed, era or "race" then that is evidence....

When it comes to "religion" the above does indeed occur.
The problem is the findings and evidence are not easily placed on a bar chart and measured by the scientific method.

Of course science being only a few centuries (at best) pretends that anything outside is, well , a second class citizen. Yet, "religion" has been exploring in its "own scientific method" for millenia.

Of course when you have bible quoting, closed minds who are really devoid of thought (of their own) the idea that there is nothing besides the scientific method becomes very attractive.

But, to pretend their is no "evidence" is actually to be dishonest and perhaps ignorant.

nonbeliever_92

Well actually this is untrue....

when thousands of years of people.... all reach essentially the same conclusions, despite creed, era or "race" then that is evidence....

When it comes to "religion" the above does indeed occur.
The problem is the findings and evidence are not easily placed on a bar chart and measured by the scientific method.

Of course science being only a few centuries (at best) pretends that anything outside is, well , a second class citizen. Yet, "religion" has been exploring in its "own scientific method" for millenia.

Of course when you have bible quoting, closed minds who are really devoid of thought (of their own) the idea that there is nothing besides the scientific method becomes very attractive.

But, to pretend their is no "evidence" is actually to be dishonest and perhaps ignorant.

It matters not that thousands of years of people come to the same conclusion, if their conclusion is based on no evidence, then that conclusion is just a belief based on faith. fo thousands of years people concluded that the earth was the center of the heavens, and today we do not live in a geocentric universe, so it would be wise to assume that we didn't back then.

I believe that the assertion that god exist could be a scientific theory, but only if it has evidence that isn't just anecdotal.

Mr Cheese

It matters not that thousands of years of people come to the same conclusion, if their conclusion is based on no evidence, then that conclusion is just a belief based on faith. fo thousands of years people concluded that the earth was the center of the heavens, and today we do not live in a geocentric universe, so it would be wise to assume that we didn't back then.

I believe that the assertion that god exist could be a scientific theory, but only if it has evidence that isn't just anecdotal.

I have already explained... "evidence" is dependant upon the ruler or measuring stick you are using. Science has its own, religion another.

A simple example is Benoit Mandelbrot's question:

How long is the coastline of Britain?

The answer is of course infinite length. Why? because if you carry on measuring, we change the ruler...so that we can measure ever increasingly more accurate..and smaller, and smaller and smaller.... until we reach "planc length" and essentially the coast line opf britain is of infinite length.

SO we have addressed the ruler problem.

Of course there are other issues like the very nature of perception. One can argue quite validly, that the perceiver is a part of the perceived. Thus any "scientific" experiment is wholly changed by being perceived in the first place. We of course this in science and religion/philosophy.

Thus the idea that "evidence" (scientific) is the only valid expression of human conciousness to "prove" or to explore reality as a whole, is shaky at best. I find it ironic that those that cling to evidence have an unwavering belief akin to those that spout bible passages and tell us all that hell is real....

There are of course other problems such as goedel.... which shows a clear indication that logic itself is flawed. but then that really is plain logic, that there will always be something outside of logic, here is a simple story that illustrates this:

One day a young man full of much wisdom and knowledge decided to share his wisdom with the world.
He went out and travelled the world and met many people.
Try as he might he couldnt find anyone willing to listen to his special revelations.
He knew in his heart of hearts that he knew the secret to God, the universe and everything.
Finally after 40 years of travelling, he was now an old man. He had found no one who would simply listen to his revelations.
Then he found a dog. A faithful brown dog. As the man spoke the dog stood to attention and listend.
The man knew, at last, he had an audience.
Decades of spiritual revelations and insight poured forth from the mans lips, the dog listend and stood staring as the man spoke.
Finally the man had finished and excalimed “Do you understand my friend!!????”
The dog looked at him, sat down, begain licking himself and fell asleep.
…………..
Moral of the story:
no matter how you try to conceptualise things, there will always be something outside the realm of concept. Thus like the dog there will always be something you cannot coneptualize. The dog was told the secrets of the universe, but being a dog it was beyond his conceptualisation. Thus like the dog, there will always be something beyond the realm of modern science as science like the dog only deals with a very narrow set of parameters. To state that spiritual truths, realities can be relegated to science is to treat such realities as the conciousness of a dog. Of course that is not to say that secretly pink elephants are on mars…but that a yard stick is a yard stick and until it breaks free of itself, it is nothign more than a yard stick.
“The other is not a person;
If you mistake it for another, you are already way off.
Your child has wandered outside -
Give it a call; when it sees your face it will follow its parent.”

nonbeliever_92

I have already explained... "evidence" is dependant upon the ruler or measuring stick you are using. Science has its own, religion another.

A simple example is Benoit Mandelbrot's question:

How long is the coastline of Britain?

The answer is of course infinite length. Why? because if you carry on measuring, we change the ruler...so that we can measure ever increasingly more accurate..and smaller, and smaller and smaller.... until we reach "planc length" and essentially the coast line opf britain is of infinite length.

SO we have addressed the ruler problem.

Of course there are other issues like the very nature of perception. One can argue quite validly, that the perceiver is a part of the perceived. Thus any "scientific" experiment is wholly changed by being perceived in the first place. We of course this in science and religion/philosophy.

Thus the idea that "evidence" (scientific) is the only valid expression of human conciousness to "prove" or to explore reality as a whole, is shaky at best. I find it ironic that those that cling to evidence have an unwavering belief akin to those that spout bible passages and tell us all that hell is real....

There are of course other problems such as goedel.... which shows a clear indication that logic itself is flawed. but then that really is plain logic, that there will always be something outside of logic, here is a simple story that illustrates this:

One day a young man full of much wisdom and knowledge decided to share his wisdom with the world.
He went out and travelled the world and met many people.
Try as he might he couldnt find anyone willing to listen to his special revelations.
He knew in his heart of hearts that he knew the secret to God, the universe and everything.
Finally after 40 years of travelling, he was now an old man. He had found no one who would simply listen to his revelations.
Then he found a dog. A faithful brown dog. As the man spoke the dog stood to attention and listend.
The man knew, at last, he had an audience.
Decades of spiritual revelations and insight poured forth from the mans lips, the dog listend and stood staring as the man spoke.
Finally the man had finished and excalimed “Do you understand my friend!!????”
The dog looked at him, sat down, begain licking himself and fell asleep.
…………..
Moral of the story:
no matter how you try to conceptualise things, there will always be something outside the realm of concept. Thus like the dog there will always be something you cannot coneptualize. The dog was told the secrets of the universe, but being a dog it was beyond his conceptualisation. Thus like the dog, there will always be something beyond the realm of modern science as science like the dog only deals with a very narrow set of parameters. To state that spiritual truths, realities can be relegated to science is to treat such realities as the conciousness of a dog. Of course that is not to say that secretly pink elephants are on mars…but that a yard stick is a yard stick and until it breaks free of itself, it is nothign more than a yard stick.
“The other is not a person;
If you mistake it for another, you are already way off.
Your child has wandered outside -

Give it a call; when it sees your face it will follow its parent.”

Why yes, I can agree with the ruler analogy, but it seems that the scientific ruler or measuring tool has a set way of measuring. It's ruler seems to use consecutive numbers and equal spaces between the number. It measures along the lines of one inch, two inches three inches, four inches, five inches, etc...

But the religious ruler seems to have a hodge podge of different symbols, not in any particular order or pattern, with different spaces between the symbols. They seem to measure more along the lines of duck, coffee, bookcase, pinata, duck-teen, etc... Not only that but there are multiple rulers with religion, and the results garnered from religion doesn't seem to match up with the results of another and themselves.

The reason people who use investigation and observation to understand the world is because, for the most part, it works every single time! And if not, they have to change their investigations and experimentations to account for the new observation. If the moon suddenly reversed direction, scientists wouldn't declare "Oh, we don't understand why this happened, so it must be be god!" no, they investigate it and observe and compile what they thought knew before to see why it fails now. They essentially have to discredit themselves in order to progress on to the truth.

Religion seems to work by completely ignoring new observation that goes against their belief, and by compiling things from their imagination (which count as theory) and not investigating, researching, or experimenting to discover why they believe so (which offer no evidence).

The reason scientists depend on the scientific method (for a quick overview The Scientific Method | Introduction) because it works. But religion stops halfway through the process and doesn't continue on. They observe, they hypothesize, but they don't investigate, and they can't recreate or demonstrate or their results. With science they can predict results with almost complete accuracy almost everytime. You can't with religion, there is not consistency one can depend on.

Carico

Again, I'd like to know where the accounts of the forerunners of man are. One would think that the first speaking tribes would have had fascinating stories about their parents, grandparents and ancestors who couldn't speak because they didn't yet have vocal chords. :D Those creatures are supposed to have lived for billions of years on this earth. So why aren't there any accounts of them from their descendants? :confused:

nonbeliever_92

Again, I'd like to know where the accounts of the forerunners of man are. One would think that the first speaking tribes would have had fascinating stories about their parents, grandparents and ancestors who couldn't speak because they didn't yet have vocal chords. :D Those creatures are supposed to have lived for billions of years on this earth. So why aren't there any accounts of them from their descendants? :confused:

Okay, you have to be kidding... you can't be serious. :areyoucra

Carico

I'm betting she is....

Sorry, not even a good evasion. ;) So again, why are there zero accounts from the descendants of these transitional species about their neanderthal ancestors. Billions of years is a l-o-n-g time for transitional species to turn into people, much longerthan modern-day humans have lived on the earth. So why have we never heard of them from their first speaking descendants? :confused:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Sorry, I don't have the patience of a saint. Dealing with your idiocy in the homosexuality threads is my limit.