• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The F-Scale: How Fascist are you?

How do you score on the F-Scale?

• Less than 2: A whining rotter

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • 2 to 3: A Liberal Airhead

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • 3 to 4.5: Within Normal limits

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • 4.5 to 5.5: You may want to practice doing things with you left hand.

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • 5.5 or higher: Having trouble keeping the lint of your black shirt?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • what is this! the Thought police?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Is there a left-wing authoritarian assessment scale?
Authoritarianism is a psychological state. It doesn't necessarily correlate to left or right political orientations.
Lenin and Mao were both Right Wing Authoritarians.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-wing_authoritarianism
The phrase right wing in right-wing authoritarianism does not necessarily refer to someone's politics, but to psychological preferences and personality. It means that the person tends to follow the established conventions and authorities in society. In theory, the authorities could have either right-wing or left-wing political views.[17]/quote]

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Authoritarianism is a psychological state. It doesn't necessarily correlate to left or right political orientations.
Interesting--they upended the existing social order, yet imposed a new version of conservative social order...

Read the wiki article...I see what they're getting at here, and why there is some discussion about the appropriate terminology...

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Why are we playing with an obsolete, 69 year old test?
Altemeyer's RWA scale is much better validated:
http://personality-testing.info/tests/RWAS/
10.23% for me. I expected a bit less, but I guess it is ok.

Your score for right-wing authoritarianism was 10.23%. Higher scores indicate more right-wing authoritarianism.

Right-wing authoritarians want society and social interactions structured in ways that increase uniformity and minimize diversity. In order to achieve that, they tend to be in favour of social control, coercion, and the use of group authority to place constraints on the behaviours of people such as political dissidents and ethnic minorities. These constraints might include restrictions on immigration, limits on free speech and association and laws regulating moral behaviour. It is the willingness to support or take action that leads to increased social uniformity that makes right-wing authoritarianism more than just a personal distaste for difference. Right-wing authoritarianism is characterized by obedience to authority, moral absolutism, racial and ethnic prejudice, and intolerance and punitiveness towards dissidents and deviants. In parenting, right-wing authoritarians value children's obedience, neatness, and good manners.

Academics come up with some **** terminology, but this one takes the :shortcake::shortcake::shortcake:

"Hmm, I think I need a word that is not only misleading, but highly controversial, is bound to lead to constant argument, questioning and disagreement and that references terms in an atypical manner, despite the fact that they are vague and confusing even when used normally. Only then will I be able to get my point across clearly..."

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
10.23% for me. I expected a bit less, but I guess it is ok.

Your score for right-wing authoritarianism was 10.23%. Higher scores indicate more right-wing authoritarianism.

Right-wing authoritarians want society and social interactions structured in ways that increase uniformity and minimize diversity. In order to achieve that, they tend to be in favour of social control, coercion, and the use of group authority to place constraints on the behaviours of people such as political dissidents and ethnic minorities. These constraints might include restrictions on immigration, limits on free speech and association and laws regulating moral behaviour. It is the willingness to support or take action that leads to increased social uniformity that makes right-wing authoritarianism more than just a personal distaste for difference. Right-wing authoritarianism is characterized by obedience to authority, moral absolutism, racial and ethnic prejudice, and intolerance and punitiveness towards dissidents and deviants. In parenting, right-wing authoritarians value children's obedience, neatness, and good manners.

Your score for right-wing authoritarianism was 62.5%. Higher scores indicate more right-wing authoritarianism.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Academics come up with some **** terminology, but this one takes the :shortcake::shortcake::shortcake:

"Hmm, I think I need a word that is not only misleading, but highly controversial, is bound to lead to constant argument, questioning and disagreement and that references terms in an atypical manner, despite the fact that they are vague and confusing even when used normally. Only then will I be able to get my point across clearly..."
I take it that you did not read the book. It is a good read, I recommend it. The PDF of "The Authoritarians" is also free and available from the questionary's page.

I take it that you did not read the book. It is a good read, I recommend it. The PDF of "The Authoritarians" is also free and available from the questionary's page.

The book might be fantastic, but I've not read it.

The term 'right wing authoritarianism' is what I find to be strange. If you choose a term of questionable legitimacy that guarantees confusion, controversy, disagreement and objection then you have chosen a bad term. Just choose a term without the baggage that allows you to make your point without having to constantly defend the terminology (unless the thesis is specifically reflecting a political agenda I suppose).

He could have called it spungo authoritarianism and it would have made more sense.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

The term 'right wing authoritarianism' is what I find to be strange.
The book itself warns of the irony.

If you choose a term of questionable legitimacy that guarantees confusion, controversy, disagreement and objection then you have chosen a bad term. Just choose a term without the baggage that allows you to make your point without having to constantly defend the terminology (unless the thesis is specifically reflecting a political agenda I suppose).

He could have called it spungo authoritarianism and it would have made more sense.
There may be something to it. On the other hand, we probably should be careful about assuming meanings for words.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

The term 'right wing authoritarianism' is what I find to be strange. If you choose a term of questionable legitimacy that guarantees confusion, controversy, disagreement and objection then you have chosen a bad term. Just choose a term without the baggage that allows you to make your point without having to constantly defend the terminology (unless the thesis is specifically reflecting a political agenda I suppose).

I think you're correct here; they could have just called it plain "authoritarianism." If it can apply to someone at any point along the political spectrum, why call it "right wing" when left wingers can also be authoritarian? Going back to the Political Compass results that we've discussed in other threads, that tool clearly (imo) separates the political from the individualist/authoritarian spectrum in a more sensible way. To my way of thinking, however, what in the wikipedia article is described as the conservative (wanting to maintain past/present social structure/ordering) versus liberal (wanting to change the social structure/ordering of society) is a different question than Political Compass' measurement of views about economic freedom.