• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Exodus - Moses and God

satumare

Millions of Jewish people were enslaved in Egypt in the Exodus. What was the reason that God would let the Jewish people be enslaved for 400 years? Isn’t it absurd to punish a whole nation for 400 years? What motivated God to decide that it’s time to let the Jewish people go free? About the plagues, why did God decide to do 10 plagues upon the Egyptians? If God knows everything, shouldn’t he have known that the first 9 plagues wouldn’t have worked and that the pharaoh wouldn’t have given in? Why did God have to do all these 10 punishments when one punishment would have been enough (the last punishment about the first born dying)? If God wanted people to believe that he existed and he is the mighty God, weren’t couple of punishments enough? Was God trying to show off that he has miracle powers by doing all these 10 plagues? According to the last plague that every first born must die, why didn’t the pharaoh die as well due to the fact that he was a first born too?

After the 10th plague, the pharaoh decided to free the Jewish slaves. Then God decided that Moses must lead them to the “milk and honey” land. While they were in the desert, why did Moses have to ask God to provide them with water and food? Didn’t God know that you need water and food while you are in a desert? After the Jewish people escaped by crossing the Red Sea, God decided that the Jewish slaves do not deserve to enter the Promised Land; God left them in the desert for 40 years so most of them would die of old age. Why didn’t God tell them before they left Egypt, that they aren’t the people who are going to enter the Promised Land? Who would have sacrificed his life on the desert for 40 years if you weren’t going to enter the Promised Land? What does this unfair thing make God? What did the Jewish slaves do wrong so that they would not make it to the Promised Land? If God promised Moses that God will help them find the Promised Land, why didn’t he tell Moses that it will take 40 years? What image does God have upon his decisions? Because He was the one who decided to save the Jewish slaves from slavery and then decide to kill them in the desert of old age.

After 40 years of service Moses asked one thing to God that he would like to enter and see the Promised Land. God denied this privilege to him because of his two simple sins. One of them was, when God requested that Moses should lead the Jewish slaves out of Egypt, Moses questioned God if he is able to lead them to the Promised Land at his age, due to the fact he was an old man. The second sin was when God told Moses that he should touch a stone from the desert with his wooden staff in order to get water, he hit the stone. Because of these two simple sins, God decided that Moses does not deserve to enter the Promised Land; God decided that Moses will just see the Promised Land from the distance then die afterwards. Is this a right thing to do? Why didn’t God tell Moses than he will not enter the Promised Land? Is it because Moses would have refused to fulfill God’s request? Isn’t God exaggerating upon this situation?

SnowyWhiteTiger

The Apprentice
Millions of Jewish people were enslaved in Egypt in the Exodus. What was the reason that God would let the Jewish people be enslaved for 400 years? Isn’t it absurd to punish a whole nation for 400 years? What motivated God to decide that it’s time to let the Jewish people go free? About the plagues, why did God decide to do 10 plagues upon the Egyptians? If God knows everything, shouldn’t he have known that the first 9 plagues wouldn’t have worked and that the pharaoh wouldn’t have given in? Why did God have to do all these 10 punishments when one punishment would have been enough (the last punishment about the first born dying)? If God wanted people to believe that he existed and he is the mighty God, weren’t couple of punishments enough? Was God trying to show off that he has miracle powers by doing all these 10 plagues? According to the last plague that every first born must die, why didn’t the pharaoh die as well due to the fact that he was a first born too?

After the 10th plague, the pharaoh decided to free the Jewish slaves. Then God decided that Moses must lead them to the “milk and honey” land. While they were in the desert, why did Moses have to ask God to provide them with water and food? Didn’t God know that you need water and food while you are in a desert? After the Jewish people escaped by crossing the Red Sea, God decided that the Jewish slaves do not deserve to enter the Promised Land; God left them in the desert for 40 years so most of them would die of old age. Why didn’t God tell them before they left Egypt, that they aren’t the people who are going to enter the Promised Land? Who would have sacrificed his life on the desert for 40 years if you weren’t going to enter the Promised Land? What does this unfair thing make God? What did the Jewish slaves do wrong so that they would not make it to the Promised Land? If God promised Moses that God will help them find the Promised Land, why didn’t he tell Moses that it will take 40 years? What image does God have upon his decisions? Because He was the one who decided to save the Jewish slaves from slavery and then decide to kill them in the desert of old age.

After 40 years of service Moses asked one thing to God that he would like to enter and see the Promised Land. God denied this privilege to him because of his two simple sins. One of them was, when God requested that Moses should lead the Jewish slaves out of Egypt, Moses questioned God if he is able to lead them to the Promised Land at his age, due to the fact he was an old man. The second sin was when God told Moses that he should touch a stone from the desert with his wooden staff in order to get water, he hit the stone. Because of these two simple sins, God decided that Moses does not deserve to enter the Promised Land; God decided that Moses will just see the Promised Land from the distance then die afterwards. Is this a right thing to do? Why didn’t God tell Moses than he will not enter the Promised Land? Is it because Moses would have refused to fulfill God’s request? Isn’t God exaggerating upon this situation?

Well, to be serious. This story´s point is to show you that only through submission you can wait anything from God. Very amazing concept, indeed. :facepalm:

Eliot Wild

Irreverent Agnostic Jerk
. . . About the plagues, why did God decide to do 10 plagues upon the Egyptians? If God knows everything, shouldn’t he have known that the first 9 plagues wouldn’t have worked and that the pharaoh wouldn’t have given in . . .

Well, the truth is, God only wanted to use the one plague, the last one that He knew would convince Pharaoh . . . But Moses wanted to show off his new magic staff and impress his friends with some other parlor tricks. So, God gave in and consented.

But just to let Moses know that even though he had once been Egyptian Royalty and that now Moses could part seas and summon frogs and pretty much cast another half dozen spells right out of the Dungeons & Dragons Magic Manual, God was still the One in charge. That's why God kept giving Moses bad directions for forty years in the desert. The Holy Father still laughs about that every now and again whenever he sees Moses, asking him, "Hey Moses, where you going? Well, don't take forty years to get there!!! Ha, Ha, Ha!!"

Zadok

Zadok
Everything is just too exagerated.

Perhaps. But then maybe what we have is the length people will go through to ignore divine enlightenment and exploit other human beings – including the disrespect of other’s religion. Then despite the warnings that come to us through nature – the willingness of mankind to seek their own pleasure without concern for others.

Zadok

rusra02

Premium Member

You have a lot of questions for one post! According to Bible chronology, Israel's sojourn in Egypt lasted 215 years from start to finish. The 400 years apparently began when Ismael persecuted Isaac. (Galations 4:29) God foresaw the slavery of his people but did not cause it. When the time came for God to deliver his people, he sent ten punishing plagues on Egypt. Why? Several reasons. God said to haughty Pharoah "For by now I could have thrust my hand out that I might strike you and your people with pestilence and that you might be effaced from the earth. But, in fact, for this cause I have kept you in existence, for the sake of showing you my power and in order to have my name declared in all the earth. " (Exodus 9:15,16)
These plagues served to display God's almighty power over the earth, and also proved the gods of Egypt to be impotent and false. God also demonstrated his ability to protect his people while bringing calamity on his enemies. By foretelling each plague in advance, Jehovah demonstrated his ability to fulfill prophecy. Thus Jehovah made a name for himself that has lasted to our day, while the false gods of Egypt have virtually vanished from the scene. Jehovah provided a resounding answer to Pharaoh's arrogant question "Who is Jehovah, so that I should obey his voice to send Israel away? " (Exodus 5:2)

bain-druie

Tree-Hugger!
You have a lot of questions for one post! According to Bible chronology, Israel's sojourn in Egypt lasted 215 years from start to finish. The 400 years apparently began when Ismael persecuted Isaac. (Galations 4:29) God foresaw the slavery of his people but did not cause it. When the time came for God to deliver his people, he sent ten punishing plagues on Egypt. Why? Several reasons. God said to haughty Pharoah "For by now I could have thrust my hand out that I might strike you and your people with pestilence and that you might be effaced from the earth. But, in fact, for this cause I have kept you in existence, for the sake of showing you my power and in order to have my name declared in all the earth. " (Exodus 9:15,16)
These plagues served to display God's almighty power over the earth, and also proved the gods of Egypt to be impotent and false. God also demonstrated his ability to protect his people while bringing calamity on his enemies. By foretelling each plague in advance, Jehovah demonstrated his ability to fulfill prophecy. Thus Jehovah made a name for himself that has lasted to our day, while the false gods of Egypt have virtually vanished from the scene. Jehovah provided a resounding answer to Pharaoh's arrogant question "Who is Jehovah, so that I should obey his voice to send Israel away? " (Exodus 5:2)

Sounds like such PERFECT propaganda for a tribal god (or...ahem...his followers, dare I suggest?) who got wayyyy too big for his(their) britches and decided to take over the world - perhaps that might be why the spurious re-telling in the self-styled 'Holy Book' is the only account of this anywhere.

The gods of Egypt are far from impotent, false, or irrelevant; as I understand it, Kemetic faith is enjoying quite a revival. The 'dying god' story of Osiris and Isis is, for instance, one of the many pagan prototypes that the 'dying god' story of Yeshua the Nazarene prophet was stolen from.

I have no knowledge of Kemeticism to speak of, but I have a profound respect for the ancient culture and deities of Egypt. Pagan gods, as far as I see, have no need to outdo each other in ******* contests; perhaps it is not surprising that this god who DOES need to do so would have followers who do the same, showering gratuitous insults on ancient cultures rich with mystery and beauty.

Very sad.

Agnostic75

Zadok said:
Then despite the warnings that come to us through nature – the willingness of mankind to seek their own pleasure without concern for others.

What do you mean by warnings through nature?

What do you mean by concern for others? Some of the most thoughtful, wonderful, helpful people in the world are non-Christians, but according to the Bible, none of them who have rejected Christianity will go to heaven.

SnowyWhiteTiger

The Apprentice
What do you mean by warnings through nature?

What do you mean by concern for others? Some of the most thoughtful, wonderful, helpful people in the world are non-Christians, but according to the Bible, none of them who have rejected Christianity will go to heaven.

Righteousness rules the world, brother. :sarcastic

He means perhaps all those volcanoes erupting, ground shaking, rivers flooding everything in their way, probably.

rusra02

Premium Member
Sounds like such PERFECT propaganda for a tribal god (or...ahem...his followers, dare I suggest?) who got wayyyy too big for his(their) britches and decided to take over the world - perhaps that might be why the spurious re-telling in the self-styled 'Holy Book' is the only account of this anywhere.

The gods of Egypt are far from impotent, false, or irrelevant; as I understand it, Kemetic faith is enjoying quite a revival. The 'dying god' story of Osiris and Isis is, for instance, one of the many pagan prototypes that the 'dying god' story of Yeshua the Nazarene prophet was stolen from.

I have no knowledge of Kemeticism to speak of, but I have a profound respect for the ancient culture and deities of Egypt. Pagan gods, as far as I see, have no need to outdo each other in ******* contests; perhaps it is not surprising that this god who DOES need to do so would have followers who do the same, showering gratuitous insults on ancient cultures rich with mystery and beauty.

Very sad.

There is no beauty in false deities, false gods that are unreal and can do nothing for their worshippers. Worse than that, worshipers of false gods thus are blocked from coming to know and worship the one true God, Jehovah, the one who gives life and breath to all men. As the one true God, Jehovah will not share his glory with any false gods. (Isaiah 42:8) Worship of idols has led to detestable practices, including human sacrifice and child sacrifice, and kept millions in ignorance and superstitious fear for all their lives.

Misty

There is no beauty in false deities, false gods that are unreal and can do nothing for their worshippers. Worse than that, worshipers of false gods thus are blocked from coming to know and worship the one true God, Jehovah, the one who gives life and breath to all men. As the one true God, Jehovah will not share his glory with any false gods. (Isaiah 42:8) Worship of idols has led to detestable practices, including human sacrifice and child sacrifice, and kept millions in ignorance and superstitious fear for all their lives.

There is no evidence for the existence of any god, so all have equal status, imo.

Dunemeister

Satumare, you seem to have done enough reading to know there are problems, but you don't seem to have paid sufficient attention to the details of the text to see if there are any answers there to your questions. You have also failed to ask the most important questions. What's important to the author/audience of this text? What questions does it pose, and what answers does it provide? In other words, the text may not be interested in the sorts of questions you're asking, and so it's no surprise that, on some occasions, no answers are provided. On the other hand, it may be interested, but you are so impressed with the problem that you haven't noticed the solutions. Why don't you re-read the texts at issue (indeed, all of Exodus minus the building of the tabernacle, perhaps) and see if you can detect the questions and answers that interested the people to whom the text was initially directed?

logician

I think we can take the Moses story as one of mythology. Although plagues do seem to be more common lately.

bain-druie

Tree-Hugger!

A typical prejudicial defense of Jehovah, who if he is real is one of the most mentally unstable characters I've ever come across in literature.

An equally typical attack on all pagan gods, first as being 'unreal' and then as being - perhaps indirectly - responsible for evil practices. Pagan gods are not all the same, any more than birds or fish are all the same; you only demonstrate profound ignorance by lumping them all into one category.

"Millions??!!!"

What is your source for saying "millions?"

This sounds like a gross exaggeration!

Bruce

It is. In fact, the whole Exodus story is bogus from beginning to end. Dna analysis of dead workers who built the pyramids and tombs for pharaohs show them to be primarily Egyptians themselves. As for the Exodus story, Israeli archeologists have come to the conclusion it never happened just as logic tells us. Imagining over a million people wandering around a desert for 40 years living on magical manna is a contrived story of the ancient priests and scribes of Judah to show how their tribal war god empowered his chosen people.

rusra02

Premium Member
A typical prejudicial defense of Jehovah, who if he is real is one of the most mentally unstable characters I've ever come across in literature.

An equally typical attack on all pagan gods, first as being 'unreal' and then as being - perhaps indirectly - responsible for evil practices. Pagan gods are not all the same, any more than birds or fish are all the same; you only demonstrate profound ignorance by lumping them all into one category.

There are millions of false gods being worshipped. It is neither necessary nor desirable to learn about each of these unreal deities. Some of these gods are portrayed as benevolent and harmless. But no false deity is good.
Worship of false gods is so harmful because such worship turns people from the true God, and more seriously, such worship knowingly or unknowingly is being rendered to the "god of this system of things", God's enemy Satan. (2 Corinthians 4:4, Psalms 106:36-38, 1 Corinthians 10:19,20)
The Bible says about the false gods worshipped by people: “The idols of the nations are silver and gold, the work of the hands of earthling man. A mouth they have, but they can speak nothing; eyes they have, but they can see nothing; ears they have, but they can give ear to nothing. Also there exists no spirit in their mouth. Those making them will become just like them, everyone who is trusting in them.”—Psalm 135:15-18. No wonder the Bible urges us: "Little children, guard yourselves from idols." (1 John 5:21)

rusra02

Premium Member
There is no evidence for the existence of any god, so all have equal status, imo.

That is akin to saying, upon seeing a beautiful mansion with lovely furniture and appointments, "This house has no builder. It came about by chance." (Hebrews 3:4)