• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Evils of the Religious Mob

Hope

Princesinha
Tawn said:
Just try to make the distinction between:
a) believing there isnt a god.
b) not believing there is a god.
There is no distinction.....you are saying the same thing, only putting the words in a different order. Take this instance.....

a) I believe there isn't such thing as Bigfoot
b) I don't believe there is such thing as Bigfoot

Am I really saying anything different?

In my opinion, the "religious mob" could find a more productive way of defending itself against the OP than by putting words in atheists' mouths. A person's belief regarding deities varies depending on which god is being discussed anyway, so this off-topic tangent is moot.

Instead of telling atheists what they believe, I recommend going here to find out what RF atheists have to say. ;)

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
What Melody said. Amen!

What Spinkles said. Amen! I would also say that this applies to all beliefs as well. I don't like an atheist telling me what I believe any more than they enjoy me telling them what they believe. FInd out if you want, but avoid assumptions.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Tawn said:
The term Atheism just means 'lack-of-belief-in-god'. If an Atheist holds counter beliefs which make them not believe in god it means that that person has beliefs but still has no god beliefs.
Not having belief in something isnt a belief in itself - but it can be justified through other beliefs..

Its important to make this distinction because many Atheists are simply Atheists because they are unconvinced of the theological argument - not because they actively disbelieve in God.

For example if I was to say I have 25 sisters, you might doubt me because it is a preposterous claim. You dont actively believe I dont have 25 sisters, its just that until I convince you i do in fact have 25 sisters you are going to remain simply, without full belief in what I say.
If this sounds to you like agnosticism, thats because it is. Atheist agnosticism.

Of course if we are discussing strong Atheism, then we are on a different track. Strong Atheists believe there isnt a god.

Just try to make the distinction between:
a) believing there isnt a god.
b) not believing there is a god.
Hey Tawn, I agree. By the way, give my regards to your 25 sisters..:biglaugh:

Tawn

EEWRED said:
I think that you are speaking semantics. Even atheists have moral fiber that they live by (at least I think and hope so). They aren't based on your atheism, but because of your atheism you base them on something different than a Christian would. These are the beliefs or the system of beliefs that I was speaking of in an earlier post.
I agree totally. However, that does not make 'Atheism' a belief. The beliefs you are talking about are entirely separate (although could be influenced by) from Atheism. If one Atheist is kind and another is cruel - you cannot argue that cruelty/kindness has anything to do with Atheism.

Tawn

Hope said:
There is no distinction.....you are saying the same thing, only putting the words in a different order. Take this instance.....

a) I believe there isn't such thing as Bigfoot
b) I don't believe there is such thing as Bigfoot

Am I really saying anything different?
Yes. Do you not see it?

Im going to make a lucky guess and presume you dont have full knowledge of the periodic table. Tell me, do you believe there isnt an element called einsteinium? Or do you just not believe there is an element called einsteinium?

EDIT:
No.. a better example.. imagine I roll a 6 sided die and hide the result from you.
Tell me..
a) Do you believe it is not a number '6' which has landed upwards?
No.. you cannot believe that because it is a distinct possibility.
b) Do you believe it is a '6' which has landed upwards?
No.. you cannot believe that either because the alternatives are also possibilities.
So what do you believe?
Well you dont believe it is a 6, but you dont believe it isnt a 6. You just lack belief in it being a 6.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Having 25 sisters is not "preposterous".

It is unusual, but I could easily believe such a thing without asking for proof.

As for how, what and why an atheist believes, there are probably as many variants as there are atheists. Much the same as with theists.