• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "Evil Eye" and a Beer Bath

yuvgotmel

Malochia, or the Evil Eye, is a common affliction—a form of malefic practice known to all peoples. Although usually involuntary in nature, it is responsible for much human suffering and misery. Every race and culture throughout human history has its own name for Malochia. Belief in the effects of Malochia are common and ancient. Today people still believe in it and use the term more freely than one might suppose.

Recorded instances of Malochia have been deciphered in the ancient texts of Babylonia and Egypt. Certain people and animals have been credited with the ability to cast the “glance of malice” upon others. This “glance of malice” is in fact an energy form which has an effect upon people and animals as well as physical objects. It is the same variety of energy as a true curse for it has the same nature.

So widespread is the influence of Malochia that the ability to cast it often forms part of the definition of witchcraft among those who discuss the sociology of the practice of magic. They feel it separates witchcraft from sorcery. Anthropologists recording the natures of so-called primitive cultures find that Malochia is both accepted as real and feared among all primitive peoples. Yet the influence of Malochia is usually denied by those who are committed to the more materialistic practices of mental and physical healing. As a result, the remedies for this common condition are not available through these channels.

The evil eye is mentioned in the Bible. Mark (7:14-23) lists the evil eye as one of the evils that comes from within and defiles man. Throughout the King James translation of the Bible, the term evil eye is used in the context of its root cause—envy. At the time of the translation the two phrases had almost identical meanings.

People who cast the evil eye usually find that it happens against the conscious will. They launch the attack without any conscious desire to harm. Occasionally some people learn they can cast the evil eye and are repentant—they sincerely pray to gain relief from the affliction. There are cases of such people blinding themselves to keep this spiritual affliction from being the cause of injury to their own children.

While the most common passage of the evil eye is from one marital partner to another, or from parent to child, it is not unusual to hear of people giving themselves the evil eye. This occurs when they are overly envious of either their bodies or possessions. In the myth of Narcissus, it is thought that he gave the evil eye to himself through his self-praise and adoration.

Malochia is passed when the person casting it is envious, jealous or possessive. The act of transmitting the glance of malice is completed by looking at the person whose possessions, happiness or good fortune is most susceptible to injury. Ancients who knew about Malochia knew they were liable to fall victim to one who casts the evil eye. It was not uncommon for those people to avoid praise, or to demean themselves while being praised. In some cultures, like Eastern ones, if you admire something in the home, it is given to you! This is done to avoid causing envy, and the eventual receipt of the evil eye.

The spiritual energy from the eyes, when malevolently charged, is what produces the effect we know as Malochia. Plutarch said that the eyes “dart out fiery rays” which strike anything looked at. His belief that the eyes send out rays which identify what is seen is based on the idea that the motion of eye is under the conscious control of the individual’s will. In this respect, eyes are a “masculine” penetrative principle, as contrasted with the ears, a “feminine” receptive principle. The ears are receptive because they are available to receive any sound that strikes them. This ancient belief is the basis of all the eye discipline practices found in many different religious faiths.

For the most part, Malochia escapes the physical senses while it is being transmitted. It is only when the influence begins to affect the victim that consciousness of something being wrong may take place. Few people are able to sense the transmission before it begins, and even fewer can ward it off once it has been sent. Those who are the unconscious transmitters may send the curse to a number of people over the course of a lifetime and never consciously know of the harm they do.

The intensity of this transmission of malefic energy varies greatly because of the sender. Men who could cast Malochia consciously have been known to kill trees and small animals with a glance. A number of cases have been recorded of people who cast Malochia and caused the failure of pocket calculators, stereo sets and other electrical or mechanical devices, especially clocks and watches. Obviously, this is unconscious energy.

The Gospel of Mark relates a story about Christ cursing a fig tree for not bearing fruit out of season (Mark 11:12-14). Following his curse the fig tree withered and died,” dried up from the roots” (Mark 11:20-21). The energy used by Christ to effect this curse on a fig tree is the same as the energy of Malochia.

The symptoms from Malochia are similar to other physical illnesses. It is so common that it is the first thing a spiritual practitioner will look for. Regardless of the complaint from a client, a treatment for Malochia is usually the first treatment offered. The nature of curses and negative energies is such that the removal of Malochia is the first step in effecting any cure. The removal of this malefic energy gives the client hope.

The most frequent manifestation of Malochia is a dull headache, probably located in only one of the quarters of the victim’s head. The eyes may tear, the person many feel an unusual incident of eyestrain, or his eyes may feel very tired. In more serious cases a dullness of the thought processes, a general feeling of physical disability, a lack of energy, or general tiredness accompanied by a headache may occur.

Malochia may cause a physical disability which will affect the weakest part of the body. In cases of repeated Malochia, as between husband and wife, a gradual increase in susceptibility to accidents or slight injuries may take place. Frequently, a wife who resents the sexual contact with her husband will make him impotent through Malochia. This is rare and usually happens with conscious intent. Practitioners with auric vision also report the tearing of the astral fabric, orbicular (a hole in the aura) wounds and similar effects from Malochia.

The most common confusion of symptoms is between repetitive Malochia and migraine headaches. A person who is the frequent recipient of Malochia from someone close will often decide he has developed chronic migraines. Only a history of the case, including any events occurring ten minutes preceding the onset of the headache, will allow an accurate diagnosis to be made by a physician or medical practitioner. A case of this sort would be better referred to a spiritual practitioner for treatment.

Every pressure headache should be treated for Malochia. The home treatment is simple, effective, and can clear the way for further work to be done. Any history of head or eye difficulties should be considered as relating to the receipt of Malochia.

Treatment
Any technique used for the cure or remission of Malochia will involve similar factors. First, one must remove the negative spiritual energy from the afflicted person. Second, the person is blessed and the negative energy is replaced with the energy of the blessing. Objectively, this can be compared to the removal of a splinter, for first the foreign object is removed and then the wound can heal.

The most effective single remedy for the remission of Malochia is a beer bath. It will remove all traces of simple Malochia, and at the same time add strength to the person’s spiritual body. Prepare and use it in the following manner:
BEER BATH
  • Add about a quart of beer to half a tub of lukewarm water. Add a teaspoonful of table salt, and stir clockwise until the beer and water are mixed.
  • Enter the tub and immerse yourself completely several times. Then sit in the tub and pour the water over yourself. Immerse and rinse yourself with the water several more times until you have been in the tub six or seven minutes. You can use a pan or a glass to pour the water over your body.
  • Leave the tub and towel dry your hair, put on a bathrobe and allow the bath water to dry on you. You should go to the bedroom immediately and pray sincerely for help. The best prayer you can make is the Twenty-third Psalm. The Lord’s Prayer (Matthew 6:9`13) can also be used by those who are believing Christians.
“Spiritual Cleansing: A Handbook of Psychic Protection,” by Draja Mickaharic, pp. 13~17

yuvgotmel

Obviously the author of the book studies a variety of traditional magic from around the world and is also fond of the teachings found in the Bible as well. The author’s view of Jesus’ teachings, in particular, through the filter of magic and psychic protection is a very interesting one.

With regards to Malochia, I also remembered this verse from the New Testament, where Jesus taught the following: “Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back” (Luke 6:30).

Jesus may have been teaching that envied items—whatever that may be (including food, clothing, money, etc.)—have a type of curse (from Malochia) on them. No wonder he said don’t ask for them back!

Little do many Christians realize, but Jesus was aware of and practiced many of the magical skills that were well-known during his time. For example, in John Chapter 9, Jesus healed a blind man after spitting on the ground to make mud and rubbing it in the man’s eyes. It correlates with Talmudic writings concerning the magical arts: “For eye-trouble spittle was commonly used, but we are told ‘there is a tradition that the spittle of the first-born son of a father has healing powers, but not of the first-born son of a mother’ (B.B. 126b). (Quote taken from the “Everyman’s Talmud,” The Physical Life, p. 253)

And here is a direct quote from the Talmud concerning the “evil eye” or Malochia:
“Jealousy and greed create malicious feelings towards the person who excites these passions and give rise to a wish for calamity to overwhelm him. Such an unfriendly hope is usually concentrated in a glance of hatred; hence the phrase ‘the evil eye.’ And the fear of it comes from the belief that through the medium of the malignant look harm will befall the intended victim.

That the glance of the eye can have injurious effects is definitely asserted in the Talmud. The power was especially attributed to the Rabbis. ‘Wherever the Sages directed their gaze either death or some calamity occurred’ (Chag. 5b). ….

…How widespread was the damage for which it was responsible may be gathered from the statement, ‘Ninety-nine die from the Evil Eye as against one from natural causes’ (B.M. 107b); and the words, ‘The Lord will take away from thee all sickness’ (Deut. Vii. 15), received the comment: ‘that is, the Evil Eye’ (ibid.). …

Not only human beings, but also cattle and other possessions, may be injured by the spell.

“Everyman’s Talmud: The Major Teachings of the Rabbinic Sages,” by Abraham Cohen, Folklore, pp. 272~273

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
If the eyes can be a "window into the soul" then it would go too that great malice can be reflected in them. In Taoism expressiveness of the eyes are viewed as a way to determine the health of somone's shen, the concentrated spiritual energy that is higher and more refined than the qi and jing, base sexual/physical energy. In theory, to transmute shen into an envious attack would be bad news indeed and it would typically come through the eyes.

I don't know about beer baths but the few times I've got a stare from someone that was hateful with a little more...liveliness than it should be my mind automatically counters by meeting their eyes myself and invoking some of the more powerful god forms I'm aware of. Let them deal with those if they're intent on malice.

yuvgotmel

If the eyes can be a "window into the soul" then it would go too that great malice can be reflected in them. In Taoism expressiveness of the eyes are viewed as a way to determine the health of somone's shen, the concentrated spiritual energy that is higher and more refined than the qi and jing, base sexual/physical energy. In theory, to transmute shen into an envious attack would be bad news indeed and it would typically come through the eyes.

I don't know about beer baths but the few times I've got a stare from someone that was hateful with a little more...liveliness than it should be my mind automatically counters by meeting their eyes myself and invoking some of the more powerful god forms I'm aware of. Let them deal with those if they're intent on malice.

That's very interesting info about the shen, qu, and jing. I'd like to learn more about that.

Do you personally do any practices when you know that you are getting a stare that has possible malevolent intent?

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
That's very interesting info about the shen, qu, and jing. I'd like to learn more about that.

Do you personally do any practices when you know that you are getting a stare that has possible malevolent intent?
Sure. A little on those things then. :)

Qi or chi is a Chinese term for subtle energy, i.e. the lifeforce that is often regarded as fundamental to all living things. As such it is similar to prana or pneuma but the Chinese have their own understanding of it of course. Jing is a dense/physical form of qi that is essential to the base health of the body and is supposedly lost as we age and eventually runs out when we die. Shen is a light and highly spiritual form of qi that is pretty much equivalent to Western ideas about the soul. Qigong cultivation is generally a case of fortifying and conserving jing, sublimating and cultivating it into useful forms of qi and then into shen. Or at least, that's how I've typically come to see it from the qigong I've done but there are many forms of qigong.

I don't really do anything other than that kind of knee-jerk invocation of God-forms when it comes to evil eye kind of stuff. I find the two God-forms I would use and have used in such circumstances are very potent so tend to overwhelm or deter the attempt. I tend to use them whenever I feel the presence or intent of great malice. They're kind of personal to me being composite God-forms rather than anything widely recognised. What I can say in short is that one represents the divine feminine principle and the other the divine masculine principle.

There was only one time I felt I had to do a lot of stuff though and this was when I was quite new to Magick. Someone I knew who was an occultist of sorts himself became paranoid and aggressive towards me. He claimed I was psychically attacking him and started to attempt doing just such a thing to me and rather chilling stares were part of that. Most of the stuff was silly like putting an upside down pentagram on my door which I just turned the other way round (he tore it down in a fury after he saw that) but some of it did worry me.

I didn't understand why he thought I was attacking him since I liked the guy and felt that was plainly evident. Nevertheless I thought it was prudent to use a lot of ritual Magick to insulate or protect everyone including him from anything that may be coming from me. Maybe I was doing it subconsciously or something? It wasn't inconceivable. Then after a week of that and further strange stuff from him I realised that he was schizoid after he gave me some examples about what I'd done to him that were bizarre distortions of quite mundane events or plainly ridiculous. For instance, he thought I'd been sneaking into his house when he left his food cooking and putting poison in his food! And of course I must've stolen a key before and had a copy made so I could do this. After much examination of what had been taking place I also came to think he had probably because envious of me because he saw me as more privileged than himself (this was true in some ways) but such feelings were simply not acceptable to him (because he was perfect) so they'd likely become distorted into a persecution complex that had got way out of control. Nevertheless such a complex allowed him to openly despite me without having to take responsibility for such feelings.

As he got worse I felt I had to confront him and try to get him to realise he was suffering from psychotic delusion. I invited him over to talk. Before he arrived I did varying banishing exercises and invoked Thoth a great deal to help communication because he'd become neigh impossible to get through to. I couldn't have anything visibly Magickal on display in the room because he'd almost certainly believe it was intended to harm him somehow so I had to take down the various diagrams and things I had on my walls at that time. Luckily things went ok and I managed to get him to calm down and realise he was suffering from paranoia. He phoned me a few times after that to go over things but in the end left me alone, I think out of embarrassment more than anything. A few months later he was up to his old tricks though and this time with someone new.

So, um, not too much on the evil eye thing there but I enjoyed getting carried away with the story. heh.