• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The End Is Here..... Again

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
There sure are a lot of people claiming the end is near the last week or so.

What is the likely hood of it being true this time?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
We're getting there.

But first we will have to define "end". Dead is dead, whether everyone else died or just you or a few people. Most of us would rather it just be us rather than everyone of course, but still, the moment you die, it is pretty much like the end.

So talk of "end" is pretty much meaningless. Because if half the population dies, we first have to define whether that's the end and what end means.

McBell

We're getting there.

But first we will have to define "end". Dead is dead, whether everyone else died or just you or a few people. Most of us would rather it just be us rather than everyone of course, but still, the moment you die, it is pretty much like the end.

So talk of "end" is pretty much meaningless. Because if half the population dies, we first have to define whether that's the end and what end means.
A valid point.
Thinking about what the people predicting the end actually said it seems they could be meaning about anything.

I will have to ask the next one what they mean by end

Wandering Monk

250px-The_End_is_Near_50th_Anniversary_Edition.png

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I didn't take time to research the authenticity of the site, but I remember 1999 people were going out buying foods, finding shelters, and the news talking about "what to do". Prince was on the radio constantly and I was siting by my lonesome playing with Match Cars and Hotwheels.

https://nypost.com/2017/07/27/5-times-the-world-was-supposed-to-end-but-didnt/

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Dead is dead
I loved your answer, as it reminds me of a Mad Maxx survival Babe; who makes it through to the end of the film, where we're some of the last ones left standing (Matthew 24:13).

In my opinion. :innocent:

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

I guess we will all find out sooner or later...won't we? :shrug:

Jesus said it....so IMO, its not a case of IF.....but WHEN. He is the one who gave us the signs....the "last days" didn't have a definite time to end, as far as I am aware. We were just told to "keep on the watch". (Matthew 24:42-43)
That was the point of giving a sign I suspect....

3rdAngel

Not sure who is saying what but you seem to be a pretty good example of 2 PETER 3:3-7 and 1 THESSALONIANS 5:3. Just saying. o_O

McBell

Not sure who is saying what but you seem to be a pretty good example of 2 PETER 3:3-7 and 1 THESSALONIANS 5:3. Just saying. o_O
Sure, why not.
I mean after the nearly infinite number of failed "ends" I am more than justified in being skeptical.
And to be flat out honest about it, overwhelmingly underwhelmed by yet another "end" that does not occur.
Sadly, it will be another miss that is ignored.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I guess we will all find out sooner or later...won't we? :shrug:

Jesus said it....so IMO, its not a case of IF.....but WHEN. He is the one who gave us the signs....the "last days" didn't have a definite time to end, as far as I am aware. We were just told to "keep on the watch". (Matthew 24:42-43)
That was the point of giving a sign I suspect....
Maybe it was a warning for the world in total

I take it for an individual warning to be ready when you die, and this can be any day, hence no specific date was mentioned.

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
We're getting there.

Which half might be an important part of knowing or defining whether it is really the end as well.

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
Sure, why not.
I mean after the nearly infinite number of failed "ends" I am more than justified in being skeptical.
And to be flat out honest about it, overwhelmingly underwhelmed by yet another "end" that does not occur.
Sadly, it will be another miss that is ignored.
I feel fairly confident some excuse will materialize to explain how this end was not the end. Probably a number of excuses.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member

I don't know about the End of the world

But I imagine we may be going through the end of this world, i.e. the end of how things have been up 'til now

If the end of the world is going to be as it is understood in Christianity then I hope it will happen - e.g. Jesus returning

But if not then I hope it won't

Good-Ole-Rebel

For the Christian, the end , is not an end of life. The 'end times events' are the culmination of what God is doing with man on the earth. And though no precise date is ever given, much has been given in the Bible as to how these events will play out.

Whether or not we are on the verge of the 'end times' events to take place, man is always moving towards those end time events. And all of history and whatever is taking place today, is contributing to those end times events.

Sometimes there are periods of history where everything has the appearance of lining up to begin those events. Thus the Christian is watchful and recognizes it. Just because it didn't come at that time doesn't mean it couldn't have. And it doesn't mean it won't.

How many times I have always tried to tell people to have a store of supplies put back in case of some disaster. And how many times that has been mocked. Due to the constant repetition of life lived day in and out, people are lulled to sleep thinking that will never happen. Things will always be as they are. But then overnight, the shelves at the stores are empty.

It will be the same when the 'end times events' kick in.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Maybe it was a warning for the world in total

From my understanding of the Bible, it was humans who chose the devil to rule over them, so God allowed us all to experience what that meant in all its disgusting nastiness. Jesus will return to bring us back to what God originally intended for mankind at the beginning....everlasting life in paradise on earth....that is what we lost, and that is what we get back. Its a relatively simple story.

I take it for an individual warning to be ready when you die, and this can be any day, hence no specific date was mentioned.

When we die, life in this world ceases, that is true. But we do not flit off to some other world or realm. The Bible teaches that we "sleep" in death and we can be resurrected and enjoy life again with our loved ones right here. It is what God intended all along....and what God starts, he finishes. (Isaiah 55:11)

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I don't know about the End of the world

But I imagine we may be going through the end of this world, i.e. the end of how things have been up 'til now

You raise a good point. It is indeed the end of this world....not the end of the planet, but a complete change in the way humans are governed. We will go from failed human rulership under the devil's control to a Theocracy...rulership by God. His son will be at the helm guiding and directing the faithful back into a close relationship with God...like the one Adam lost.

If the end of the world is going to be as it is understood in Christianity then I hope it will happen - e.g. Jesus returning

But if not then I hope it won't

"The end" is going to be the end of all wickedness, sin, suffering and death....would you welcome that?

Revelation 21:2-4...
"I also saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God and prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3 With that I heard a loud voice from the throne say: “Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his people. And God himself will be with them. 4 And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.”

After Jesus has dispatched the wicked, this is what we can look forward to...as King David said in Psalm 37:9-10....
"Just a little while longer, and the wicked will be no more;
You will look at where they were,
And they will not be there.

11 But the meek will possess the earth,
And they will find exquisite delight in the abundance of peace."

"The meek will possess the earth"...Jesus said it too....remember?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

All we can know for sure is that every day we get one day closer to our own death. other than that we can not control when or how the true end comes