• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Eloi and the Morlocks, The Time Machine

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh...oh that is a disaster isn't it. Its a runaway technology, a genie out of the bottle and with no master. It is for that reason the wealthy should be allowed to buy perfected genes for their children. Anything that asserts some kind of control on this tech is advisable. Obviously anybody can edit genes and make a creature if they are knowledgeable enough, so its in the same class as drugs, alcohol, abortions, hitting your little sister etc. Its just out of the bottle. How can you regulate it without ruining the free movement and thought of the individual which would in turn throttle the meaning we each assign to our lives? There needs to be some form of control, and so if the wealthy can create that through a market then that is a partial win.

I am not serious about hitting your little sister. That can be regulated, but some things have proven resistant to regulation. This new tech will be another of those.

leov

Oh...oh that is a disaster isn't it. Its a runaway technology, a genie out of the bottle and with no master. It is for that reason the wealthy should be allowed to buy perfected genes for their children. Anything that asserts some kind of control on this tech is advisable. Obviously anybody can edit genes and make a creature if they are knowledgeable enough, so its in the same class as drugs, alcohol, abortions, hitting your little sister etc. Its just out of the bottle. How can you regulate it without ruining the free movement and thought of the individual which would in turn throttle the meaning we each assign to our lives? There needs to be some form of control, and so if the wealthy can create that through a market then that is a partial win.

I am not serious about hitting your little sister. That can be regulated, but some things have proven resistant to regulation. This new tech will be another of those.
I think that rich elite gets what they aimed for, and now technology allows for it. Elite pays for technology.

Neutral Name

No, they shouldn't but they shouldn't be the only ones who can afford medical and dental care, pharmaceutical drugs, rich lawyers to get them out of trouble, child care, school supplies, healthy food, retirement, emergency savings, a safe place to live, etc., etc. There is a lot of injustice in the United States that needs to be fixed. Only we the people can do that. We have to pull together to change what is wrong with our country and the world.

leov

No, they shouldn't but they shouldn't be the only ones who can afford medical and dental care, pharmaceutical drugs, rich lawyers to get them out of trouble, child care, school supplies, healthy food, retirement, emergency savings, a safe place to live, etc., etc. There is a lot of injustice in the United States that needs to be fixed. Only we the people can do that. We have to pull together to change what is wrong with our country and the world.
History shows that they have things that not available to others, now it includes genetics, epigenetic, e.t.c. that nobody is able to detect or control.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
To play devil's advocate, here, our native genes are clearly unsuitable for the world we live in. They worked fine 50,000 years ago, but are clearly dysfunctional in a large, specialized, multicultural society.

Our species is both too smart and too focused on our immediate, short-term interests. We're not wired for long-term or big picture thinking. They weren't selective attributes during the Pleistocene.

Maybe we should separate into castes, like those in Huxley's Brave New World. Each with a social function it's designed for, and everyone happy with his station.

Neutral Name

History shows that they have things that not available to others, now it includes genetics, epigenetic, e.t.c. that nobody is able to detect or control.

So far, it has been well controlled. I have only heard of one doctor in China using gene editing to improve children and he got in trouble for it. Hopefully, ethics will continue to be involved here.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I think that rich elite gets what they aimed for, and now technology allows for it. Elite pays for technology.
[mad scientist mode] Oh goody! Is the next batch of rich and elite guinea pigs ready? Are they sufficiently self-sequestered? Have allowances been made for their limited gene pool and the effects of inbreeding? Mwahahahaha! :smilingimp:[/mad scientist mode]

leov

[mad scientist mode] Oh goody! Is the next batch of rich and elite guinea pigs ready? Are they sufficiently self-sequestered? Have allowances been made for their limited gene pool and the effects of inbreeding? Mwahahahaha! :smilingimp:[/mad scientist mode]
I know that what they know about genetics from labs financed by rich folks now will be published , I say, 20 years from now.