• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The early church didn't gather on the first day nor did they ever call Sunday the Lord's Day.

k4c

How many verses are there in the Bible that call Sunday the Lord's Day? None! That's a big red flag.

Did the early church gather on the first day? No they did not!

The words, "Day of the week" is the word "G4521 Sabbath" in the original language. In other words, they gathered on the first Sabbath, not the first day of the week,

Why did they call it the first Sabbath? Because they were counting the Sabbaths. According to Leviticus 23 they had to count seven Sabbath plus one day.

The Sabbaths were counted to determine which week it was. Listen to how they counted Sabbaths.

Luke 6:1 Now it happened on the second Sabbath after the first that He went through the grain fields. And His disciples plucked the heads of grain and ate them, rubbing them in their hands.

It happened on the second Sabbath after the first, in other words, it was the second week of the month. If it was the third week he would have said, "On the third Sabbath".

Acts 20:7 Now on the first Sabbath, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul, ready to depart the next day, spoke to them and continued his message until midnight.

The early church never gathered on the first day of the week, but rather, they always gather on the Sabbath.

Acts 13:44 On the next Sabbath almost the whole city came together to hear the word of God.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
  • The early church did not baptize using the words "Father, Son, and Holy Ghost". They baptized in the name Jesus. All churches who do so are false churches and the only true Christians are the ones who say the name Jesus over the baptized.
  • The early church did not baptize by sprinkling water on someone. To baptize means to immerse. Any church that sprinkles is a false church, and the only true Christians are the ones who immerse fully in water.
  • The early church did not baptize infants. An infant cannot make a "decision for Christ". Any church that baptizes children is a false church, and the only true Christians are the who baptize adults only.
  • The early church never took communion with grape juice. They used actual wine because they did not have refrigerators to prevent fermentation. Any churches that uses grape juice is a false church. The only true Christians are ones the use actual wine.
  • The early church did not use Wonder Bread for communion. They used unleavened bread. Any churches that uses processed bread is going to hell and are sinning against God because God hates Wonder Bread as much as Jesus does. Only true Christians abstain from Wonder Bread in communion.
  • The early Church met on Saturday, not Sunday. Therefore anyone meeting on Sunday is disobeying God and God will not accept them into heaven! Only true Christians meet on Saturday, baptize in Jesus' name, immerse fully in water, use real wine in communion, and abstain from Wonder Bread!
Anyone else can add to the above List of the Absurd of what God doesn't and doesn't accept in the practice of one's faith?

How many verses are there in the Bible that call Sunday the Lord's Day? None! That's a big red flag.

The words, "Day of the week" is the word "G4521 Sabbath" in the original language. In other words, they gathered on the first Sabbath, not the first day of the week,

Why did they call it the first Sabbath? Because they were counting the Sabbaths. According to Leviticus 23 they had to count seven Sabbath plus one day.

The Sabbaths were counted to determine which week it was. Listen to how they counted Sabbaths.

Luke 6:1 Now it happened on the second Sabbath after the first that He went through the grain fields. And His disciples plucked the heads of grain and ate them, rubbing them in their hands.

It happened on the second Sabbath after the first, in other words, it was the second week of the month. If it was the third week he would have said, "On the third Sabbath".

Acts 20:7 Now on the first Sabbath, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul, ready to depart the next day, spoke to them and continued his message until midnight.

The early church never gathered on the first day of the week, but rather, they always gather on the Sabbath.

Acts 13:44 On the next Sabbath almost the whole city came together to hear the word of God.
Are you Adventist?

k4c

• The early church did not baptize using the words "Father, Son, and Holy Ghost". They baptized in the name Jesus. All churches who do so are false churches and the only true Christians are the ones who say the name Jesus over the baptized.
  • The early church did not baptize by sprinkling water on someone. To baptize means to immerse. Any church that sprinkles is a false church, and the only true Christians are the ones who immerse fully in water.
  • The early church did not baptize infants. An infant cannot make a "decision for Christ". Any church that baptizes children is a false church, and the only true Christians are the who baptize adults only.
  • The early church never took communion with grape juice. They used actual wine because they did not have refrigerators to prevent fermentation. Any churches that uses grape juice is a false church. The only true Christians are ones the use actual wine.
  • The early church did not use Wonder Bread for communion. They used unleavened bread. Any churches that uses processed bread is going to hell and are sinning against God because God hates Wonder Bread as much as Jesus does. Only true Christians abstain from Wonder Bread in communion.
  • The early Church met on Saturday, not Sunday. Therefore anyone meeting on Sunday is disobeying God and God will not accept them into heaven! Only true Christians meet on Saturday, baptize in Jesus' name, immerse fully in water, use real wine in communion, and abstain from Wonder Bread!
Anyone else can add to the above List of the Absurd of what God doesn't and doesn't accept in the practice of one's faith?

You are 100% right...nice post. :)

You're view of communion is a little ritualistic though. The ritualistic mindset is more concerned with the mechanics of how something is done rather than the fact that it is being done. Jesus used what He had at is disposal at the moment. The Lord's supper memorial grew to more of a fellowship meal as the early church grew.

1 Corinthians 11:20-30 Therefore when you come together in one place, it is not to eat the Lord’s Supper. For in eating, each one takes his own supper ahead of others; and one is hungry and another is drunk. What! Do you not have houses to eat and drink in? Or do you despise the church of God and shame those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I praise you in this? I do not praise you. For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you: that the Lord Jesus on the same night in which He was betrayed took bread; and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, “Take, eat this is My body which is broken for you; do this in remembrance of Me.” In the same manner He also took the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink it,in remembrance of Me.” For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death till He comes. Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For he who eats and drinks in an unworthy manner eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the Lord’s. For this reason many are weak and sick among you, and many sleep.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You are 100% right...nice post. :)
I'm glad you agree that it shows how absurd being hung up on these sorts of things is, as if any of these petty things actually matter to God, and that it boils down to nothing more than children bickering with each other, "No, I'm doing it right and you're not!". That was it's point, of course.

You're view of communion is a little ritualistic though. The ritualistic mindset is more concerned with the mechanics of how something is done rather than the fact that it is being done.
No, the legalistic mindset is concerned with the fact of the any ritual having to be done at all. My point was to illustrate the absurdity of that mindset. "Saturday is the right day!", is meaningless to anyone by the legalist himself. God is not concerned with such trivial matters.

Jesus used what He had at is disposal at the moment. The Lord's supper memorial grew to more of a fellowship meal as the early church grew.
Sure, and we can make up our own rituals too if it pleases us. But to insist they are the "right rituals", or that others have to practice them is nothing short of a creating a religion in our own name. "I desire mercy and not sacrifice," says God. "I don't care about the form of your religious practices. I care about how you love one another," in other words.

k4c

I'm glad you agree that it shows how absurd being hung up on these sorts of things is, as if any of these petty things actually matter to God, and that it boils down to nothing more than children bickering with each other, "No, I'm doing it right and you're not!". That was it's point, of course.

No, the legalistic mindset is concerned with the fact of the any ritual having to be done at all. My point was to illustrate the absurdity of that mindset. "Saturday is the right day!", is meaningless to anyone by the legalist himself. God is not concerned with such trivial matters.

Sure, and we can make up our own rituals too if it pleases us. But to insist they are the "right rituals", or that others have to practice them is nothing short of a creating a religion in our own name. "I desire mercy and not sacrifice," says God. "I don't care about the form of your religious practices. I care about how you love one another," in other words.

God gives us a warning through Daniel of a system rising up in the last days and changing God's times and law. This system is symbolized by a beast. God says anyone who worships this beast will drink of the wrath of God. We know the foundation of true worship and godly love is obedience to the commandments of God through love. So for you to say that obeying and loving God the way God defines love and obedience in meaningless is 100% wrong.

JM2C

CHRISTIAN

AC 20:7 On the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul began talking to them, intending to leave the next day, and he prolonged his message until midnight.

MT 28:1 Now after the Sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to look at the grave.

MK 16:9 [ Now after He had risen early on the first day of the week, He first appeared to Mary Magdalene, from whom He had cast out seven demons.

LK 24:1 But on the first day of the week, at early dawn, they came to the tomb bringing the spices which they had prepared.

JN 20:1 Now on the first day of the week Mary Magdalene *came early to the tomb, while it *was still dark, and *saw the stone already taken away from the tomb.

JN 20:19 So when it was evening on that day, the first day of the week, and when the doors were shut where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in their midst and *said to them, “ Peace be with you.”

All these verses have “first day of the week”. The absence of the word “hemera/DAY” does not mean it is not a “Sunday”. After the Sabbath, i.e., Saturday, is Sunday. The Jews were not allowed to get out on the Sabbath day, i.e., Saturday, so they have to wait till after 12 midnight or the “first day of the week” and that is, “Sunday”.

The word “first” or “Heis/mia/mian/protos” in Greek, in those verses, are all adjectives. Example: First day of spring or if we follow this in Greek, word for word, it should read like this “First of the spring” just like the “first of the week” or “first of the Sabbath”. The absence of the word "day" in the "First of the spring" does not mean it is not the "First day of spring".

“First of the week” is an idiomatic expression from that time frame translated into our time as “First day of the week” or “Sunday”

Lk 18:12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.“dis tou sabbatou” or two times in the week.

Last edited:

NewGuyOnTheBlock

Cult Survivor/Fundamentalist Pentecostal Apostate

Matthew 28:

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

So I guess that any church that doesn't baptize in the name of Father, Son, Holy Ghost are the ones who are wrong .....

k4c

AC 20:7 On the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul began talking to them, intending to leave the next day, and he prolonged his message until midnight.

MT 28:1 Now after the Sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to look at the grave.

MK 16:9 [ Now after He had risen early on the first day of the week, He first appeared to Mary Magdalene, from whom He had cast out seven demons.

LK 24:1 But on the first day of the week, at early dawn, they came to the tomb bringing the spices which they had prepared.

JN 20:1 Now on the first day of the week Mary Magdalene *came early to the tomb, while it *was still dark, and *saw the stone already taken away from the tomb.

JN 20:19 So when it was evening on that day, the first day of the week, and when the doors were shut where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in their midst and *said to them, “ Peace be with you.”

All these verses have “first day of the week”. The absence of the word “hemera/DAY” does not mean it is not a “Sunday”. After the Sabbath, i.e., Saturday, is Sunday. The Jews were not allowed to get out on the Sabbath day, i.e., Saturday, so they have to wait till after 12 midnight or the “first day of the week” and that is, “Sunday”.

The word “first” or “Heis/mia/mian/protos” in Greek, in those verses, are all adjectives. Example: First day of spring or if we follow this in Greek, word for word, it should read like this “First of the spring” just like the “first of the week” or “first of the Sabbath”. The absence of the word "day" in the "First of the spring" does not mean it is not the "First day of spring".

“First of the week” is an idiomatic expression from that time frame translated into our time as “First day of the week” or “Sunday”

Lk 18:12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.“dis tou sabbatou” or two times in the week.

These four words, (day of the week) is the Strongs number G4521 and it's the word (Sabbath). The verse should read, (first Sabbath) not (first day of the week).

Last edited:

k4c

Matthew 28:

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

So I guess that any church that doesn't baptize in the name of Father, Son, Holy Ghost are the ones who are wrong .....
The trinitarian God was formed during the dark ages which is when the great apostasy began. Baptism is in the name of Jesus. The words, (Father, Son and Holy Spirit) are titles not names. As a matter of fact, the Bible never says to do anything in the name of the Spirit. This triune baptism verse was added to the text during the second century and is not the original words of Jesus. Do some research it's not hard to find.

Last edited:

JM2C

CHRISTIAN
These four words, (day of the week) is the Strongs number G4521 and it's the word (Sabbath). The verse should read, (first Sabbath) not (first day of the week).
The word "first" is an adjective. It should read “First of THE Sabbath/WEEK” with the definite article or as “Sunday” is the first of “THE” Sabbath or “THE” week. Monday is the 2nd of “THE” Sabbath/WEEK or 2nd day of “THE” week/sabbath.

NewGuyOnTheBlock

Cult Survivor/Fundamentalist Pentecostal Apostate
The trinitarian God was formed during the dark ages which is when the great apostasy began. Baptism is in the name of Jesus. The words, (Father, Son and Holy Spirit) are titles not names. As a matter of fact, the Bible never says to do anything in the name of the Spirit. This triune baptism verse was added to the text during the second century and is not the original words of Jesus. Do some research it's not hard to find.

Except for the fact, of course, that the gospels were written decades or centuries after the alleged christ, have been transcribed and translated and retranslated into several different languages over the centuries insomuch that there is no original documents left (which of course, the "original documents" being transcriptions of verbal traditions); which means that we have absolutely no viable record of the "original words of jesus".

I will untrack and let you be.

k4c

Except for the fact, of course, that the gospels were written decades or centuries after the alleged christ, have been transcribed and translated and retranslated into several different languages over the centuries insomuch that there is no original documents left (which of course, the "original documents" being transcriptions of verbal traditions); which means that we have absolutely no viable record of the "original words of jesus".

You'll have take your argument up with the Bible scholars who say said it and the fact that the one water baptism in the Bible is to be done in the name of Jesus. Unless you believe you should be baptized twice, once in the name of Jesus and once in the triune baptism.

k4c

The word "first" is an adjective. It should read “First of THE Sabbath/WEEK” with the definite article or as “Sunday” is the first of “THE” Sabbath or “THE” week. Monday is the 2nd of “THE” Sabbath/WEEK or 2nd day of “THE” week/sabbath.
Nice try! Sunday is the Venerable Day of the Sun and Friday is Muhammad's day. The seventh day belongs to the LORD your God. As a matter of fact, Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath and that ain't Sunday, never was and never will be.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Yah, except that the Triune formula is also found in the Didache, a first century writing used by first century Chrsitians. Also, there is 0 evidence to show that the Triune baptism verse was "added during the second century."

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
You're view of communion is a little ritualistic though. The ritualistic mindset is more concerned with the mechanics of how something is done rather than the fact that it is being done. Jesus used what He had at is disposal at the moment. The Lord's supper memorial grew to more of a fellowship meal as the early church grew.
You have NO concept of where the Lord's Supper was derived, do you?