• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The different traditions

Irenicas

high overlord of sod all
I was wondering to myself what traditions people posting here are following. Personally, I have the rather unusual position of being what I refer to as a "indefinite Buddhist". By that I mean I do not follow any of the traditions fully, but instead do what I can to learn from the teachings of Buddha in all forms. It seems to be that all religions change over time, and Buddhism is no expection. Personally, I will try and find my own way to Nirvana, rather than to become a monk of any tradition. It is important to me that I keep my individuality. But, I do not count myself as a lay-buddhist. What are people's views?

Master Vigil

I don't think it's possible to ever lose your individuality. Even if you follow one certain tradition, for your views on that tradition will always differ from everyone elses. However, your way of looking at things is very zen in a way. Like for instance how zen can be found in anything... zen archery, zen painting, zazen, zen bowling, etc... So can enlightenment be found in anything. It is not the tradition that one follows that is important. It is the love and understanding of what one follows that is important. I am not ordained a priest or monk, however I am not necessarily a lay taoist. I call myself Vigil. I am aware, awake, and watchful.

Master Vigil

Zen has always been my favorite form of buddhism, with its practices so melodic and fantastical yet logical and practical. Zen gets its form from Taoism, but is attributed to the flower sermon given by buddha. I only wish I could fold my legs like that. HEHE 8)

Irenicas

high overlord of sod all
Ha. Me too, I have a lot of problems with that. The wonderful thing I feel about Zen is the way that logic is used to realise yourself.

Master Vigil

The whole point to eastern thought is realizing the "self." Within before without. That kind of stuff. The best part I like about the logic zen and taoism uses, is almost illogical by western standards. Like, does a dog have a buddha nature? MU!!! haha.